Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyendall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
I am hard of hearing so I have my ATV 1 and the cable box hooked-up with analogue RCA cables through a splitter to my wifi headphones RF transmitter. I also have a Logitech Revue but that has no RCA out jacks nor does the Samsung TV. I am out of luck with the Logitech Revue but the cable box provides the sound for the TV broadcasts.

I want to upgrade to the ATV 3 but it has no analogue RCA audio outputs. What I am thinking of is 3 SPDIF optical cables to an optical switch connected similarly to a DAC, which is connected in turn to the headphones transmitter with the standard RCA cables.
Is this the best way to go about this? It is possible that once the TV is connected with the optical cable it will also provide the audio from the Logitech Revue. This would still require an optical switch for two cables. If I am heading in the right direction, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced DAC and optical switch/splitter? I am not after true audiophile quality here.
Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer me.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
I am hard of hearing so I have my ATV 1 and the cable box hooked-up with analogue RCA cables through a splitter to my wifi headphones RF transmitter. I also have a Logitech Revue but that has no RCA out jacks nor does the Samsung TV. I am out of luck with the Logitech Revue but the cable box provides the sound for the TV broadcasts.

I want to upgrade to the ATV 3 but it has no analogue RCA audio outputs. What I am thinking of is 3 SPDIF optical cables to an optical switch connected similarly to a DAC, which is connected in turn to the headphones transmitter with the standard RCA cables.
Is this the best way to go about this? It is possible that once the TV is connected with the optical cable it will also provide the audio from the Logitech Revue. This would still require an optical switch for two cables. If I am heading in the right direction, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced DAC and optical switch/splitter? I am not after true audiophile quality here.
Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer me.

Forget the DAC, buy a inexpensive receiver. You can then Plug everything into the receiver and get better sound. Besides, most receivers have better DAC's and you can still use your old gear. Plus, your Apple TV will look better with the HDMI on your TV.

eyendall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Forget the DAC, buy a inexpensive receiver. You can then Plug everything into the receiver and get better sound. Besides, most receivers have better DAC's and you can still use your old gear. Plus, your Apple TV will look better with the HDMI on your TV.

Thanks for this. If I understand you, the receiver would take the place of the DAC with everything else remaining as I have described. Would a receiver be cheaper than a DAC? Would that be a stereo receiver or a home theatre receiver? A stereo receiver would not likely have optical audio inputs.

My ATV 1 is already connected to the TV with HDMI, as is the cable box and the Revue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.