Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Has anyone noticed that Outlook 2011 when running against an Exchange Server has dramatically slowed down when running on Mountain Lion? This is a fresh install of Mountain Lion and a new install of Office 2011 (been running for a few weeks) and it still hasn't settled down yet. Anyone else seeing this?

Markocmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Yes, I also have the same. Sometimes takes many minutes to send an email or synchronise and I get the spinning colour wheel a lot.

webclue

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
The same here. In addition I have a very annoying problem with the email editor: I start to write and after some characters, the the editor lost the focus and I have to click again into the editor. Sometimes I have to retype whole sentences!

jfjoyner3

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Spinning color wheel in Office for Mac

I never had this problem until I upgraded my (new) MacBook Pro to Mountain Lion.

ketkoota

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
I am experiencing all of the above. Does anyone have a potential resolution for this?

brownsme

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Slowed right down after Mountain Lion installaion

I had been using Outlook for Mac 2011 for 6 months on a new Macbook Air, top of the line, then I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Now Outlook slows right down on many operations, but the main two are:
- search
- scrolling up or down in the main emails list

I am connected to an Exchange Server.

I'm on Outlook 14.2.3 and there are no new updates...
I already played around with turning off the Email > Reading > Conversations options...

Anyone have any ideas? Is there a way to work offline but have regular syncs automatically? Any workaround for the slow scrolling?

:(

jfjoyner3

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Microsoft unresponsive on spinning color wheel

I gave in to temptation and incurred the $259 support call to Microsoft to ask for a solution to the spinning color wheel in Outlook post-Mountain Lion.

After waiting for nearly 30 minutes, I gave up and hung up, never having spoken with tech support.

Can we be sure Microsoft even knows (or cares) about these problems with Outlook?

This is highly frustrating! I was trying to close a business sale with people in multiple locations, and every time I tried to read an email I had to make everyone else wait while the spinning color wheel overtook all Outlook processes.

jelee01

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
OMG, i thought it was just me. Not much information out there. Yes, I have all above. Was using Outlook for Mac 2011 since it came out on mid-2010 MBP, 8GB RAM, etc. No issues. But now, upgraded to OSX mountain lion and now... spinning wheels on Outlook and where it REALLY hurts is when you are searching folders. Searches stall, lag, spinning wheel, etc. VERY frustrating.

Have tried common repair disk, repair permissions, even reset PRAM. Nothing. Have tried twice to repair microsoft database using MS Database utility, but that fails to complete.

Anyone else? thoughts?

greepo

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
Same here

Hi,

I've been using MS Office for Mac since 2004 (ish), have just updated my 2009 MBP to late 2011 MBP with 16GB of RAM and have all of the above probs now I've upgraded to Mountain Lion. It's disastrous. Time to ditch MS Outlook forever and hope Mail can do the job I guess.

UPDATE: Just read this...

If you're upgrading to Mac OX 10.8 Mountain Lion but are concerned over its compatibility with your copy of Microsoft Outlook, or the full Microsoft Office suite, then worry not. Microsoft have published a blog post confirming that Office for Mac 2011 (which includes Outlook 2011) is fully compatible with 10.8 Mountain Lion.

"The Office for Mac team is happy to announce that Office for Mac 2011 is Mountain Lion ready! We've been working with Apple to ensure a fantastic experience for our users."
The posting states that users need to make sure they have Mac AutoUpdate enabled to ensure smooth running. This is because Gatekeeper (part of 10.8 Mountain Lion) doesn't allow updates to run from the desktop.

Customers with hosted Microsoft Exchange Classic or Executive mailboxes receive Outlook 2010 (PC) or Outlook 2011 (Mac) free as part of their subscription; with the latest version available from the email control panel.

For the record, I've done all the MS Office Updates, including one earlier today. Still running like a dog.

Last edited:

jelee01

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
I'd read that same MS Blog post re: ML compatibility to office 2011 for Mac. That gave me comfort to proceed with the upgrade. Still - Outlook runs poorly (see above post) and Excel has some copy/paste issues too. If you aren't a power office for mac user then may not feel quite the same, but if you are in a corporate environment and linked to Exchange, or sharing many Excel files, then I'd still caution.

REVISION: So, I'm back to a useful outlook again and was able to salvage all saved mail from "on my computer" folders. Essentially, (a) used Time Machine back up to complete re-image using a former system backup and reverted back to Lion. Then, (b) used an even older Time Machine backup from pre-APRIL to essentially revert back to pre-MS Office SP2 upgrade. Basically, I went back to MS office 14.1.4.

The combination of these two events then permitted me to successfully rebuild the Outlook database. Once that was done, then it was a matter of backing up those folders using the export utility, then syncing back to MS Exchange to get current again. Then, I updated MS Office with the latest SP2 patches.

So, the result was my system is now back to OS Lion. Can't really explain the why's, but the above process did allow me to recover years worth of saved mail.

Lastly, yes, my Outlook is running, searching, scrolling, and generally operating like a charm once again.

Last edited:

SMA3249

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
Mountain Lion killed my Outlook

I have been using Outlook on my MBPro for months with no problems. Immediately after I installed mountain lion everything came to a stall. I wind up working in a trance staring at the beach ball all day just switching days on the calendar or opening emails. I have done everything posted about MBPro's and Mtn Lion speed issues and nothing has worked. I need a fix quick.

JcMarin

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
Outlook 2011 performance on Mountain Lion

Same problem here, specially scrolling

Window loosing focus has apparently stopped

I wonder if a clean install of ML would help

GeneonMAC

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
Outlook 2011 loads SLOWLY in Mountain Lion

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion on an Early 2012 MBP, Outlook 2011 takes 75 - 120 seconds to load. Done all the "re-builds" and defrags, no change.
Looking for solutions. Will Microsoft get around to fixing it? Time to load doesn't matter whether it's the first load after a system re-boot, or the second or third. It stalls on the "Setting up Identity" yellow window.

daveevans76

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
Flower Mound, TX
Might as well join in the fun!

I too am having the same issues but they are not just limited to Outlook. I have lost banner function in Office when in full screen mode. I can see the banner, they (mainly three tabs) just does not do anything when I click on them? So I am having beach balls with Outlook and banner issues with Excel/Word/PPT. This is a work machine so I rely heavily on these applications!

I am running 17" i7 MBP with 8GB RAM, SSD, 10.8.1 OS, and latest MSO apps. Ugggggggggggggg...even since migrating to Apple OS, MS still manages to haunt me!

jenntaylor

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Anybody try the latest Outlook update?

looks like microsoft released a new patch for outlook 2011 yesterday -- you can check it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2742588

i'm scared that installing it may slow things down even further....anybody try it yet? :)

in the interim i've been exporting my outlook mail from my XP PC and importing it into mountain lion mail... it's not super fast, but thankfully i don't get a ton of outlook email, and it's faster than the spinning ball....

alwalser

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
worked for me

i just installed that patch and the email problems went away. still waiting to see if the spinning wheels stopped.

WallyR

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
14.2.4 update doesn't solve slow performance

I'm seeing all of the same issues described in this thread--slow performance, problems scrolling through the folder and message lists, loss of window focus. Tried the same issues described here, OS and Office up to date (including the recent 14.2.4 update), checked file system, rebuilt Outlook database.

I'm pretty sure this is an Outlook 2011 issue with Mountain Lion: I just got a new MacBook Air, so was expecting better performance, especially from its SSD, compared with my vintage 2009 MacBook Pro. I was really disappointed to see it perform so badly for e-mail, which I am running constantly at work. The MacBook Pro was running Snow Leopard and ran Outlook 2011 just fine; the Air is running Mountain Lion.

For now, the workaround for me is to run Apple Mail, iCal, and Contacts. Apple Mail runs just fine against the same Exchange server that Outlook 2011 can't handle. Unfortunately, this suite doesn't handle meetings well compared with Outlook 2011, so I also have to resort to using other Microsoft tools, including accessing Outlook 2010 via RDC or Citrix or using OWA.

Swan68

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Terrible - me too

I'm on a MacBook running OS X 10.8.2 and Outlook 14.2.4 (the upgrade that some thought would fix this). All was running flawlessly until I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Yes, email is an exchange account. But my prob's are far wider. Nothing about Outlook is the same since I upgraded OS. It takes forever to load, frequently crashes (at least daily), when running the spinning wheel comes at most any time no matter what I ask of the software.

If you are a frequent Outlook user and have not yet upgraded to Mountain Lion, I would strongly recommend that you NOT UPGRADE. Doing so can seriously change your experience for the worse. Stay where you are until Microsoft acknowledges this problem and gets a fix out.

jhaefele

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
same issue

was bragging before update to Mountain Lion.. now its a dog.. constant spinning CD, slow as a dog when initiating search.. I maintain my mail to < 500MB so i know its not that... this is very frustrating.. trying the update now that was mentioned in this thread.

NOTE UPDATE: I installed the latest office update and my search delay issues have been fixed.. will monitor over the next few days

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Had to have my hdd replaced on my iMac for the recall. Before this I was having the same problems as everyone else is reporting. Well after receiving iMac back with new hdd, I had to reinstall Office for Mac back on computer. Did all updates required and all of a sudden all problems are gone. Actually runs better than it ever did including when I originally installed it. I even brought back in all my previous email boxes without a problem. Have set all preferences back to the way I want them and still no problem. So possibly my suggestion would be, do a back up of the suite, uninstall and then reinstall. And no it was not the hdd replace that solved my problem as all other apps and programs ran like a charm with the old hdd. Just Office suite, in particular Outlook that was a real problem.

Lsanti98

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Looks like Firedept is correct. I have a MBA and a Mini. Had the same problems with Outlook 2011 on both. Recently replaced the HD on the mini and had Office for Mac reinstalled. It is now working perfectly on my Mini while I still have the issues on my MBA. Getting ready to reinstall on my MBA.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Been a while since I posted, but wanted to follow up and say I never did get this problem resolved with 10.8, up to Outlook 14.2.5. I just reverted to Lion 10.7.5 and the performance difference is dramatic. It runs properly in 10.7.x, but was unusable on 10.8 (at least with a rather large mailbox running against Exchange). Reverting to 10.7.x fixed all of the problems I had.

I have reinstalled cleanly 10.8 and Office with SP2 integrated, and none of this resolved the problem, so I tried quite a few things. I also tried trashing the duplicate Preferences folder that I read on the communities.apple.com site, but this didn't make a difference on my systems that I could tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.