Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Incase Sonics. The only thing I really care about with headphones I'll use at home is comfort. I'm not an audiophile by any means. I hope these fit the bill. My Sony Pros smash my ears after like an hour.

IFWT-incase-sonic-headphones-07.jpg

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Incase Sonics. The only thing I really care about with headphones I'll use at home is comfort. I'm not an audiophile by any means. I hope these fit the bill. My Sony Pros smash my ears after like an hour.

Can you let me know a few things (via here or on twitter) once you get them and start using them?
  • how do they sound?
  • are they as comfortable as they look?
  • do they sufficiently block out surrounding noise? Basically, I've been wanting a comfy pair that I can use while my wife is watching her crap tv shows and I'm sitting on the couch next to her. Can you still hear the tv without having to blast them, or do they block the tv noise out to a satisfactory level?

kthxbai!

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Sure, it takes time to adapt.
No problem for me, I rest my hand on the keyboard.
Also, I like doing a lot of things using the Keyboard.

Idk, no problem for me mate.

Just go out and buy it, you won't regret it :D
Lol, I'll do that. It looks too sweet to pass up. Thanks, mate! :)

The Incase Sonics actually received some rep in the audiophile community. Incase worked hard to accomplish a decent sounding headphone with some nice looks and they accomplished that. :)

Last edited:

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I have 2 pairs of the Sonics, in black and in grey as pictured above. Doing the TV test now: I can absolutely hear the dialogue on the TV with these headphones on and the TV at a medium to high volume level. The sound leakage from the headphones is minimal at a normal volume.

However, it's pretty easy to tune it out mentally because my music sounds surprisingly good wearing these. I purchased a second set because they're very comfortable, and Woot had them for $50, which is a significant discount.

My favorite over-ear cans are my Shure 440's. They produce a more accurate sound. My Grado SR80's win over these too for best sound reproduction overall, but they leak out sound like mad, so I only use them when I won't bother others.

These are all below the $150 price point, and although I'm no audiophile, I am picky about headphones. Sennheiser, Shure, and Grado are my favorite brands. But for extended use comfort with pretty good sound, the Sonics do the job quite well, and can handle getting drenched in sweat or rain on a long run.

I don't use in-ear headphones.

nehas91

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2008
After a lot of testing, comparing and debating, I end up purchasing a pair of Bower Wilkins P3 headphones. They sound absolutely superb, though I'm used to a little more bass. Never the less, they were on sale so they only cost me like 120$.

Bowers-Wilkins-P3-Zwart.jpg

I also purchased the Saw box set for only 20$, could not resist.

5a17c43.jpg

Where did you find the B&W P3's for $120?

fupresti

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Got a promotion at work and will be working more hours. Wife and I have been sharing a car since we work in the same office and the same hours, so she needed a ride of her own.

01GTGl.jpg

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Can you let me know a few things (via here or on twitter) once you get them and start using them?
  • how do they sound?
  • do they sufficiently block out surrounding noise? Basically, I've been wanting a comfy pair that I can use while my wife is watching her crap tv shows and I'm sitting on the couch next to her. Can you still hear the tv without having to blast them, or do they block the tv noise out to a satisfactory level?

kthxbai!

Will do once I have them, looks like some others have chimed in.

The Incase Sonics actually received some rep in the audiophile community. Incase worked hard to accomplish a decent sounding headphone with some nice looks and they accomplished that. :)

Good to know! Thanks.

But for extended use comfort with pretty good sound, the Sonics do the job quite well, and can handle getting drenched in sweat or rain on a long run.

Thanks to you as well.

kuhtang

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Ontario
I finally have something to contribute! My fiancee and I picked up one of these for $359.99 (reg. $599.99)! Miele S2 continuum in a nice blueberry blue (pic is same model, diff colour)

10164388.jpg

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Expensive weekend, ordered some new lenses and filters. Sold my 18-135mm IS kit lens since I got spoiled by my 100mm L Macro image quality, so I wanted better stuff to carry around.

Canon 24-105mm L
Canon-EF-24-105mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Lens.jpg

Tokina 12-24mm
124DXII_l.jpg

Hoya 77mm UVC filters
1519067.jpg

I normally don't like using filters, but I really don't want the new glass to scratch, so I'm keeping them protected.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Got a free pair to "try" before I purchase a whole years worth.

Good for you on trying contacts, but I wouldn't risk buying a years worth. My optician prescribed one brand which I got on OK with in the trial and I brought 60 days worth. About half way through i realised they were irritating me a bit so I tried another brand and hated them, then tried another and they have been awesome! So just might be worth buying in smaller batches until you get used to them and find a brand which suits.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008

Oh yes, you'll love these. Hopefully. One of the most comfortable pairs I've ever owned.

• how do they sound?

kthxbai!

This should sum things up for you in detail. http://gdgtmac.co/PNR9Zp

Last edited:

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Been using clippers to keep my stubble, but it was becoming a pain as took ages to do. Always used to wet shave but fancied a change and my old triple head shaver hurts like hell, so found this today
esrt31main.jpg
Pretty happy so far!

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
You'll probably want to get something to drive these, they aren't going to sound good at all coming straight out of your machine.

Thanks for pointing this out, I was thinking about some AMP connected via USB...do you have any suggestions? You know Im worried about compatibility with ML.
Thanks for any help!

----------

New furniture for the front porch

Wow, tha looks really wonderful!

shaizada

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
Macbook Pro Retina, 2.6GHz, 16gb, 512 SSD (Arrived 8/8/2012):
hero.png

VPI Classic Platter (Upgraded from frosted Acrylic Platter, Arrived 8/8/2012):
1271524431_PLATTER1_w450_h400.jpg

Schroeder Model 2 Arm (carbon fiber armwand version, Arrived 8/10/2012):
schroeder_m2_01_600.jpg

Jan Allaerts MC1B Moving Coil Cartridge (Arrived 8/10/2012):
ja-art1.jpg

Van Den Hul Grasshopper III GLA Moving Coil Cartridge (Arrived 8/10/2012):
gh3-glaS.jpg

VPI Second Armbase for TNT 6/HRX Turntable (No ETA yet):
311656_10150965318615918_1954756628_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.