Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McCaffers

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
Yeah it looks awesome.

Will it actually require a internet connection? :( Its one of the best games to play on the move.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
From everything I've read today it will definitely require an internet connection.

That's kinda crappy beyond many measures. I don't get why it's needed for it to call home ALL the time, I know pretty much everyone has an internet connection now, but I mean even Steam games don't have to call home every time you fire them up and their distribution is online.

SimCity is awesome, EA is a bane on the games industry.

Anyone notice how there's a pretty similar correlation in ethos between the big games distributors and record labels? Maybe they hired on some of their execs.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That's kinda crappy beyond many measures. I don't get why it's needed for it to call home ALL the time, I know pretty much everyone has an internet connection now, but I mean even Steam games don't have to call home every time you fire them up and their distribution is online.

SimCity is awesome, EA is a bane on the games industry.

Anyone notice how there's a pretty similar correlation in ethos between the big games distributors and record labels? Maybe they hired on some of their execs.

EA are not the pioneers of this form of DRM.

And sadly as inconvenient as it is, if this is the only way to successfully combat rampant piracy in the pc gaming world (and yes it is rampant) in order to actually fund pc game development it's a price end users are going to have to pay.

It's nothing to do with greedy ethos, it's to do with trying to keep a business profitable. Remember music, book, film and game publishing is a high risk venture. Only 5% of titles actually go on to reap massive profits and whilst that's wonderful, you have to realise that profit doesn't go into 'greedy execs' wallets - it goes into off setting massive losses that the remainder of the games outputted create.

This is the same for music, film, and book publishing. Why do you think so many publishers and game developers go out of business.

Now add rampant piracy into the mix, diluting an already risky venture and yes it tips the balance completely. Book publishers are now finding themselves in similar water with the rise in ebook piracy.

So yes always on DRM such as this maybe the only way to actually continue seeing big companies invest millions in developing games for it.

piracy.jpg

Look at the top 10 games pirated.

Now put yourself in EA's shoes and see that 14 million games in the top 10 alone were stolen. That's $600,000,000 worth of games and that's just the top 10.....

Now ask why we don't see lots of original iP's anymore, why we have strict persistent online DRM going forward..... The answer is greed, but not on EA's part, but on the consumer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Renzatic

Suspended

I won't deny that piracy is a problem, but I always take issues with reports like these. These reports tend to be greatly overinflated, and assume that every single single pirated copy is a lost sale. In some cases, it may very well be, but it doesn't consider...

1. A person pirating the copy would've bought the game to begin with.

I knew this one guy, a friend of mine's girlfriend's boyfriend, who pirated stuff just to pirate it. Anything he could get his hands on, he got. Just so hey could say he had it.

His type is the worst of the worst. But truthfully, he'd never buy even a quarter of the stuff he downloads to begin with. Is he a lost sale? Did his downloading of some random piece of software put whatever company that produced it into a deficit because he downloaded it?

2. That the person pirated the game as a demo, with intentions of buying it if he likes it.

I've done this before. There have been occasions where I wanted to see how well a game would run before I buy it, but the game didn't have a demo to test out with. I grab a copy, try it out for 20 minutes, then go out and buy it if I like it.

Yet if my download were considered among those stats, I'd be considered a lost sale that cost the company $100,000 or so.

3. Some people actually grab pirated copies for games they buy. I did this just the other day with L.A. Noire. Apparently Rockstar did a halfassed job getting their always online DRM Rockstar Social Club working on machines with Windows on it. I'd load up the game, and watch it try to synchronize to their servers for infinity. To even attempt getting it to work, I had to remove half of my security features. Even then, it wasn't guaranteed it'd work. So instead of potentially putting my computer at risk for something that may or may not work, I grabbed a pirated copy and used the crack on my officially bought version. Worked like a charm.

...yet the software companies would consider my download a lost sale.

Number #3 is actually my biggest issue with the whole online DRM schemes. They don't stop piracy, yet punish those who legitimately bought their games. You sometimes have to jump through hoops just to get the damn things to work, while the pirates who got it off Pirate Bay are playing it trouble free. It accomplishes nothing besides punishing your customers.

And it's not even necessary. Witcher 2 came out DRM free after the first week, and yet CD Projekt still sold tons of copies, and are still selling more. Was the game pirated? Sure it was. But it was pirated no more or less than the DRMed games. In the end, these companies might as well let their honest customers enjoy as trouble free an experience as they can provide.

stujmac26

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
I only quoted and posted a screen shot right from the SimCity purchase page; its says TBD.

So they haven't updated the site yet. Your post was misleading - EA confirmed today that it will be released for the Mac in February, alongside the PC.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm just so thrilled that it will be on OS X which means I will not have to BootCamp Windows as I was planning to in order to play it.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
re: current PSU and proposed upgraded graphics card

hi guys,

i really wanna play the new simcity at the highest res possible on my pc. however, i have the following setup and in need for some advice. on my current pc, I have a corsair cx430 power supply and a 9500gt video card. I am thinking of upgrading my video card to a gtx 550 ti. however, the gtx 550 ti requires a minimum of a 400 w psu with a rating of 24 amps on +12v rail. on my current cx430 psu, it has a rating of 28 amps on the +12v rail.

Is it ok to go ahead and buy the gtx 550 ti even though I am slightly above the minimum specs required to run this graphics card?

PS: I also have 2 hard drives and a Core 2 Duo E6700 (nothing is overclocked) as well as 2 monitors (a 22.5 inch Hanspree 1920x1080p monitor, and a Acer 18.3 inch 1366x768 monitor)

Thank you

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
hi guys,

i really wanna play the new simcity at the highest res possible on my pc. however, i have the following setup and in need for some advice. on my current pc, I have a corsair cx430 power supply and a 9500gt video card. I am thinking of upgrading my video card to a gtx 550 ti. however, the gtx 550 ti requires a minimum of a 400 w psu with a rating of 24 amps on +12v rail. on my current cx430 psu, it has a rating of 28 amps on the +12v rail.

Is it ok to go ahead and buy the gtx 550 ti even though I am slightly above the minimum specs required to run this graphics card?

PS: I also have 2 hard drives and a Core 2 Duo E6700 (nothing is overclocked) as well as 2 monitors (a 22.5 inch Hanspree 1920x1080p monitor, and a Acer 18.3 inch 1366x768 monitor)

Thank you

Wait, you're asking if it's okay to buy if you're above the minimum? Surely any form of logic indicates yes? However why are you buying an old series card? Look at the current 600 series.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
With this game i won't be able to wait and have to go through origin for this one, but i still prefer mac app store games as everything is in launchpad and easy to backup. I also hate the idea of running a app to run a game like steam, thats the reason why i never have tried it and hate using origin just to get Sim City.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
This game brings back memories and would look great on my macbook retina but the game kinda still follows sim city societies as in the placing individual buildings, does it the new version still allow you to highlight and zone areas?.

Yes, but you can't directly control whether its high/low/medium density anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.