Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
i bought a 160GB iPod classic to keep it in the car but i realized that i might be abusing it. My iPod classic will be in my car glove box plugged in all the time and stays fully charged all the time with Very Hot/Very Cold weather.

Do you guys keep your iPod in glove box all the time also? if so how long and is it still working fine?

Thanks

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
Except for taking it out add/swap music, my 120gb has been in my glove box for three years. I live in East Texas where the temp goes from triple digits to the teens on occasion. The battery life is still good when I take out from time to time to play it at home. Just keep yours in a decent case and keep it out of the sun for extended periods and it'll be fine.

mtondreo

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
i had an old ipod touch (one of the first ones) in my last vehicle for many years and never had any problems.I ended up trading a buddy for a 60gb ipod so i would have more storage for my daughters movies and it seems to get corrupted a lot more often and I have to pull it out and restore it. I cant remember, but I think the touch had flash memory and the the regular ipod has a spinning drive - but it serves its purpose. I am in FL - so it gets pretty hot.

Lefty21

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Lexington, KY
My wife and I each have 5th generation classic iPods (mine 30 GB, hers 80 GB) that we have owned for 5-6 years and have kept in the car in temperatures ranging from 20 to 100 degrees fahrenheit for extended periods of time with no noticeable issues.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I do listen to my ipod classic (160gb) in my car a lot but also use it for other things too.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
My previous Classic stayed in the car 24/7, winter, summer and everything in between. I kept it for two years and sold it last January. My iPod Photo stayed in the car for some of that time as well. Weather doesn't seem to affect these iPods. My iPod Photo still holds a charge as well as it did when I bought it in 2005 with it's original battery. We're talking -10 to 105 F temp extremes here.

lezmace

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
My iPod staysnin car 24/7. The iPod is synced via WLAN, so its pretty comortable.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Got my old 3rd gen iPod Nano (8gb I think) in the car. I could do getting a slightly bigger device (though I do compress the music on this device).

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I don't keep any iPods in the glovebox, simply because the temperature ranges in there can fall outside those of the recommended storage temps. There's a reason for those recommendations, even if they only apply to "optimal" endurance or performance.

My routine is just to keep some 2nd gen nanos in a dish on top of the microwave, grab one for the car on the way out the door, bring it back and stick it in a speaker dock to charge up when I get home. So it's a few extra steps each time but by now it's all on autopilot.

fabulousjoshie0

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
I have Sync in my car so My Classic stays in there plugged into the USB all the time until I take it inside with me to Update every... 20 days or so...

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I have an 80GB black classic I bought about 4 years ago. It's been in the dash of my truck since December of 2009, except for the times I sync it with iTunes to bring in some new stuff (It's not full).

Here is South Carolina, it gets >100F (~37C) in the summer (about 160F (~71C) in the truck), and about 30F (~0C) in the winter. iPod runs and looks like new. :)

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
iPod shuffle in my glovebox for 1.5yrs and a 4th gen nano in my wife's car for 1 year. Sacramento = 30's in the winter and up to 110 in the summer. No troubles with either unit.

anieee

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
Except for taking it out add/swap music, my 120gb has been in my glove box for three years. I live in East Texas where the temp goes from triple digits to the teens on occasion. The battery life is still good when I take out from time to time to play it at home. Just keep yours in a decent case and keep it out of the sun for extended periods and it'll be fine.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Earlier I posed that I leave my iPod in the car no matter what the weather and it's always worked regardless and never affected the battery. It's always kept in the glovebox.

There was one time In an old Honda that I no longer own, it was broken in to. The iPod was in the glovebox in a black Belkin case. It blended in to the bottom of the glovebox and the burglar never saw it and moved on. The old stereo in there was also worthless, an old cassette deck that I used a cassette adaptor to listen to my iPod with.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Why do so many of you keep your iPods in your cars?

Do you listen to it through headphones or have it somehow connected to your car stereo?

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado

Do you listen to it through headphones or have it somehow connected to your car stereo?

Mine connects to my stereo through the iPod 30 pin connector. It plays music and videos on my decks video screen and I can control all of the iPods functions through the decks touch screen. I bought the deck specifically because of the iPod capabilities.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Mine connects to my stereo through the iPod 30 pin connector. It plays music and videos on my decks video screen and I can control all of the iPods functions through the decks touch screen. I bought the deck specifically because of the iPod capabilities.

Interesting setup, but isn't selecting songs, etc... harder through the car stereo than through the iPod directly?

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California

iPod and SD cards have replaced those silver looking round things that we once used to carry in folders. So yeah it fully interfaces with car headunits.

There's a lot of free podcasts on iTunes.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
iPod and SD cards have replaced those silver looking round things that we once used to carry in folders. So yeah it fully interfaces with car headunits.

There's a lot of free podcasts on iTunes.

Yea, it's amazing how the technology has moved forward, very few people carry discs anymore.

It's so much more convenient to have a small device that stores thousands of songs compared to having a CD case in your car with maybe 30 discs... probably about 500 songs in total and you also have to constantly change discs... it's laughably amazing.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Interesting setup, but isn't selecting songs, etc... harder through the car stereo than through the iPod directly?

Not at all. My deck is a double DIN deck so the touch screen is pretty large. Scrolling through the artist lists shows the alphabet just like it does on my Classic and I can stop on any letter. It also shows the wheel on the screen with the usual iPod controls on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.