Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Has anyone else noticed a serious degredation of performance since installing Mountain Lion? I have it on my i7 MBP and also my i7 iMac. Both are very slow and I get long beach balls when I try to do just about anything.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Seems fine on mine. I'd recommend a clean install if you're having issues. Im sure that's come across your mind already though. I only trust clean installs myself.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Seems fine on mine. I'd recommend a clean install if you're having issues. Im sure that's come across your mind already though. I only trust clean installs myself.

Normally I'd think of that, but AFAIK I would have to install Leopard, then the Lion upgrade, then the Snow Leopard upgrade. Is there a way I can just wiped the drive and install Snow Leopard?

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Normally I'd think of that, but AFAIK I would have to install Leopard, then the Lion upgrade, then the Snow Leopard upgrade. Is there a way I can just wiped the drive and install Snow Leopard?

Just copy your DMG for Mountain Lion to a USB drive or DVD and boot from it. Google if you need help :)

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Just copy your DMG for Mountain Lion to a USB drive or DVD and boot from it. Google if you need help :)

I think I might try that. Since I installed it, I guess I have to re-download it in order to copy it :-(

EDIT: Do you boot from a USB stick on the Mac by holding down a certain button like you do for booting off DVD?

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I think I might try that. Since I installed it, I guess I have to re-download it in order to copy it :-(

EDIT: Do you boot from a USB stick on the Mac by holding down a certain button like you do for booting off DVD?

Just hold down option while your booting (same as bootcamp). Here's a link that explains the different ways to do it. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1948

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Before you do what could very well be a useless act (reinstalling), could you tell us WHAT is slowing your Mac? What processes?

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Before you do what could very well be a useless act (reinstalling), could you tell us WHAT is slowing your Mac? What processes?

No clue. I did however make a Mountain Lion USB stick and did a clean install. Things seems to be a little snappier but certain things seem unusually slow. For instance, clicking the Apple menu yields a spinning beach ball for 4-5 seconds, then I click on system preferences and it takes a few seconds to pop up. Pre-Mountain Lion there was no delay in clicking menus and the process of brining up the system prefs panel was instant. I wouldn't expect this kind of performance on an i7 system with 8GB of RAM. Maybe the upcoming patch will fix something. At least I have a system cleaned up of some garbage and am now reinstalling Logic Pro. I use this MBP for music production and live gigs and I can't have a spinning beachball when performing so hopefully I've solved it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.