Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
^ probably the strangest question I'll ever ask on MR :p

So about 2 years ago I slept in a funky position and when I woke up my neck felt really stiff, so I cocked it to one side, then the other, and it cracked. Ever since then I've had to crack my neck to keep it from getting stiff (like cracking my knuckles) many times a day.

I know this probably isn't very healthy, and I'd love to stop doing it, but I can't. This isn't because it has become a habit... it's because my neck will get really stiff by the end of the day and will hurt, and if I lay down it will pop on its own (a little painfully)

... so how can I get this to stop? I hate being in public and having a stiff neck and looking like a retard rolling around, and I hate having to do this to get it to feel normal. I have yet to see a chiropractor... but that will probably be the next step.

BTW this is not from being on my Mac all day :D

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Not to be the person who gives the standard "You should see a doctor" response, but I think you should see a doctor (chiropractor).

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Go to both. I was in the same boat. I do not do it as often now, but man I was doing it constantly throughout the day. It was driving me nuts. I went to eight sessions and had him re-align if you will. It made a big difference to me. I also now get a message on a regular basis. Working out has also helped.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I used to crack my neck all the time, but I quit... it takes a while, but the stiffness should go away. If it doesn't, see a Chiropractor.

The reason cracking your neck feels good is because you have something out of alignment, and cracking your neck bumps the things around it more in line with the thing that's out..

I think I got that right. I had a Chiropractor explain it much better to me some years ago.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
haha I could really use a massage :p

----------

Some days (like today) it isn't as bad... but other days it really hurts so I crack it more :/

Definitely going to see a chiropractor soon, but until then I really want to find a way that will ease the stiffness until then :confused:

----------

The reason cracking your neck feels good is because you have something out of alignment, and cracking your neck bumps the things around it more in line with the thing that's out..

I think I got that right. I had a Chiropractor explain it much better to me some years ago.

Yep I think thats what I heard...

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
My chiropractor explained it to me that when you crack it in a side to side motion, you are actually straightening the vertebra's as you are supposed to have a slight curve to them. That is how he explained it to me. I noticed when he did it, there was slight rotation of the neck. I can say I never felt better than after doing the treatments.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
^^^^sorry, but that's a horrible explanation. That's not how it works.

I used to crack my neck all the time, but I quit... it takes a while, but the stiffness should go away.

Unless there is something more serious going on, this is the answer. If you just try to ignore the stiffness and avoid cracking your neck (yes, I know that's really hard to do), the stiffness should start to slowly dissipate after a few days, and eventually go away. If it doesn't, go see the doctor of your choice.

I used to pop my elbows (the radial heads) a few times a day. I decided that enough was enough, and just dealt with the stiffness for a few days. After that, the stiffness went away, and I haven't had to pop them since. That was at least 5-8 years ago.

No, the reason that it feels so good is because the "cracking" releases a build up of pressure in the synovial fluid in your vertebral joints. The noise that you hear is gas bubbles popping. The pressure goes away and the muscles around the joint relax. <--a very basic explanation

Last edited:

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Crack my neck all the time, it feels great. I don't feel stiffness, it just feels good.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Unless there is something more serious going on, this is the answer. If you just try to ignore the stiffness and avoid cracking your neck (yes, I know that's really hard to do), the stiffness should start to slowly dissipate after a few days, and eventually go away. If it doesn't, go see the doctor of your choice.

haha I'll do my best :p though its really hard not to do it when I'm not around other people 'cause there's no one to get annoyed with it :D

----------

No, the reason that it feels so good is because the "cracking" releases a build up of pressure in the synovial fluid in your vertebral joints. The noise that you hear is gas bubbles popping. The pressure goes away and the muscles around the joint relax. <--a very basic explanation

That makes sense, but why is this bad for your joints?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I'm gonna chime in since I finished a 3 month ortho. rotation two weeks ago:

The sound is caused by nitrogen bubbles in the body's synovial fluid when rapidly brought into or out of solution when the joint is manipulated, such as cracking the knuckles in the hand.

There is NO STUDY that proves that popping your joints causes arthritis or any other problem. You should seek medical advice when you pop the joint and it was painful, there is swelling, redness, lost of motion or the joint gets locked or stuck.

There is another theory for the popping which is the ligaments make these noises as they get tight rapidly when the joint is moving.

PoP AwAy! (for now, until new future studies tells us otherwise)

stoffangadd

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
I cracked my neck to the left really badly and now I barely want to move my neck at all, and I blink when my eyes are close????? ;(

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Lol neck onCrack? :p

----------

Does anyone think this could be from sleeping in a bad position?

Could be. I cracked my neck many times a day every day for 20+ years. Because it was always sore and stiff. Especially in the morning. It seemed I always had a sore back or neck. At least every two weeks my back or neck would be so painful I couldn't turn them.

I tried many different ways to correct this over the last few years. Some helped a little. Pillow in between legs, under my back, under my legs, side sleeping, back sleeping, different firmness of pillows, &c. I concluded that using pillows was the root of my problem. I got rid of my pillows and forced myself to sleep on my back. Now it's very rare that I feel even slightly stiff in the morning. As I recall it only took a couple of days until I felt much better. In fact I felt better than I could remember. Still do.

My habit of cracking my back and neck just faded away. When I changed my sleeping habits.

It is difficult to change sleeping positions and get rid of the pillows. I read up on self hypnosis to put myself to sleep every night. Until I got used to it. It's amazing if you do it right. Ten minutes and I'm out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.