Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wild1985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
First post so hello everyone. :)

I have a mac mini running Lion 10.7.4 and I am thinking about upgrading to Lion server. One main reason, is to set up accounts for me and my girl friend as we both have macbook pros from work and don't want to store personal data on them.
I have been reading up on how to set up the server etc but 99% mention that you NEED a static IP, is this really needed? I have Sky and they do not provide static IP!

Thanks for any help.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You probably don't need to change the OS to server. You could set up a VPN on your home network and mini and access account files from outside your house that way. On your local network sharing will be easier.

Be sure you don't store passwords on the work MBPs as that would defeat the whole purpose.

One caveat: Depending on where you are accessing your home VPN may not work as it depends on how the network to which you're connected is configured. I rarely run into that with mine, however.

With no static IP you can set up dynamic DNS to your house for a consistent address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.