Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The San Jose Mercury News reports that the Jobs family home in Palo Alto, California was burglarized last month, with over $60,000 worth of "computers and personal items" taken from the home. A suspect has been arrested and charged in the case.
More than $60,000 worth of "computers and personal items" were allegedly stolen, but Flattery declined to say whether they belonged to Jobs, who died last year at the age of 56, or another family member. [...]

Details about the burglary at Jobs' residence were scarce Monday. The crime was listed in the weekend report log released to the media, but police referred all questions about it to the district attorney's office. Lt. Zach Perron said that was because charges had been filed.
According to Santa Clara County Deputy District Attorney Tom Flattery, the crime appears to have been a random one, with the suspect apparently not knowing that it was the home of Steve Jobs and his family.

jobs_home_renovation.jpg

Renovation work on the Jobs family home (Source: Forbes)
The Jobs home has been undergoing renovation and it is unclear whether the family is currently living in the house while the work is being performed, but the under-renovation status of the home may have served to entice the perpetrator of the crime.

Update: The Daily has more on the incident, including a copy of the complete 32-page police report.
Wearing work gloves, McFarlin set down lawn furniture cushions outside the perimeter of the home in order to safely toss his take including: two iMacs, three iPads, one Apple TV, a Sodastream soda maker and various Tiffany jewels before fleeing away in his car.

McFarlin also found a wallet containing "Steve Jobs' California Driver's License, credit cards and personal items" and $1.

When authorities, armed with a warrant, raided McFarlin's Alameda apartment they discovered gaggles of Apple gear, a soda maker, spare key and Mercedes car keys.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Home Burglarized, Suspect Arrested After $60,000 in Property Stolen [Updated]

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I'm wondering if any of the products showing up on ebay in the last month are related

Last edited:

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
If this wasn't "random" I wouldn't be surprised; from the biography to the widely-aired 60 Minutes episodes, just about everyone was told that the Job's home wasn't your typical locked-down mansion - just a regular house that often had it's doors unlocked.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
I always like to make my own story to go along with the one presented. I'll say it was corporate espionage, who benefits?

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
the crime appears to have been a random one, with the suspect apparently not knowing that it was the home of Steve Jobs and his family.

Bad luck right there! Of all the house to break into they break into a house that belonged to one of the most famous people on the planet.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Shame on Kariem McFarlin (the perp). I wish I could have a long talk with his parents and ask them why their mid-30s son is just a piece of garbage.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
This in the homepage?

Sorry to ear that there was a burglery at late Steve Jobs house, but I don't really see what's the point of such an emphasis, unless they found some prototype of a product never launched?

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Wow, that's certainly interesting news. I hope that there wasn't anything of immense sentimental value taken in the burglary.

This in the homepage?

Sorry to ear that there was a burglery at late Steve Jobs house, but I don't really see what's the point of such an emphasis, unless they found some prototype of a product never launched?

I daresay that interesting information relating to Steve Jobs constitutes Apple news. I'm glad they've posted it; if you don't like it don't read it or comment on the thread.

Last edited:

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I was burglarized once, in the 90s... Scum stole all my CDs and CD player... The worst part is not the lost items (I was insured), but the feeling of intrusion and not feeling safe at home for a while. To this day, I can't live without a monitored alarm system.

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Shame on Kariem McFarlin (the perp). I wish I could have a long talk with his parents and ask them why their mid-30s son is just a piece of garbage.

Surely its because of some action or inaction on the parents behalf right, couldn't possibly be that the son needs to accept responsibility for his actions and be a productive member of society even if he had a ****** childhood.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.