Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMarc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
I got my iphone 4 stolen a few days ago.
It was on airplane mode (traveling abroad and hadn't roaming activated).
I sent a request to wipe it through icloud, but it doesn't work since the phone hasn't been connected it seems. The thing is I need some data from the phone, so here are my questions:

-Can I cancel the wipe order? The only thing icloud lets me do is erase the device from the list, making it impossible to later ask to put a code or wipe it or anything.

-Can I do a remote back up? The option of automatic backup when connected to wifi and plugged in was activated, but it got stolen in Cuba where internet is not as "available" as other places....

-I don't think Apple can help, but are there not applications that can help me with that? Could they help even if not installed on the phone (just by providing the IMEI?!)

I REALLY need access to some data (Notes)!

I thought icloud was supposed to save my Notes automatically when the phone was charging and was connected to wifi, but it seems it didn't do it last time. I was charging through USB through someone's computer. does that change anything??.
Now, when I access my icloud account (with Snow Leopard), I don't see any new Notes (from since I switched syncing method from itunes to wifi). Would upgrading to MLion mysteriously make them appear?

TheMarc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Yes, my "notes".
But I do always back up everything. How is it that the notes didn't sync when I was last connected to wifi and I had my phone charging? Is it because it was charging through usb and a computer? Or is it that I don't have access to all the icloud data since I'm still on SL and not Lion or ML?

TheMarc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
How is it that the notes didn't sync when I was last connected to wifi and I had my phone charging? Is it because it was charging through usb and a computer? Or is it that I don't have access to all the icloud data since I'm still on SL and not Lion or ML?

Anyone?

TheMarc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
this is a good idea, my notes always saved in my mail

That's what I did, and the notes weren't there. But that's why I was wondering what I did... Because I had connected through usb and wifi and thought it had saved the data to icloud, but I guess not.
I was hoping it was because maybe they were there, but I couldn't see them or access them since I didn't have ML or was accessing icloud.com with my computer that doesn't run ML.
I guess the data are just lost.
It would then also mean that automatic back-up when plugged-in (charging) and on a wifi network doesn't work when the phone is plugged in to a computer to charge...
:mad: :(

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Poor little iPhone... Now being touched by someone who it does not know... Then killed by its old owner.... iPhone feels neglected...

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I read somewhere on the forum that when you remote wipe the iphone it asks you to generate a 4-digit code which you can use to reverse the wipe once you find it.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I got my iphone 4 stolen a few days ago.
It was on airplane mode (traveling abroad and hadn't roaming activated).
I sent a request to wipe it through icloud, but it doesn't work since the phone hasn't been connected it seems. The thing is I need some data from the phone, so here are my questions:

-Can I cancel the wipe order? The only thing icloud lets me do is erase the device from the list, making it impossible to later ask to put a code or wipe it or anything.

-Can I do a remote back up? The option of automatic backup when connected to wifi and plugged in was activated, but it got stolen in Cuba where internet is not as "available" as other places....

-I don't think Apple can help, but are there not applications that can help me with that? Could they help even if not installed on the phone (just by providing the IMEI?!)

I REALLY need access to some data (Notes)!

I thought icloud was supposed to save my Notes automatically when the phone was charging and was connected to wifi, but it seems it didn't do it last time. I was charging through USB through someone's computer. does that change anything??.
Now, when I access my icloud account (with Snow Leopard), I don't see any new Notes (from since I switched syncing method from itunes to wifi). Would upgrading to MLion mysteriously make them appear?

I know this doesn't help things (and i'm not trying to preach), but I STRONGLY recommend backing up locally through iTunes every once in a while... I choose to backup to iCloud regularly, and still have a few backups on my Mac JUST IN CASE. I am not trying to harp (and i'm sure you'll do this in the future), just trying to help!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I read somewhere on the forum that when you remote wipe the iphone it asks you to generate a 4-digit code which you can use to reverse the wipe once you find it.

WRONG. Wiping = no more data.

You are thinking about "remote lock" which can password protect an unprotected iPhone.

TheMarc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Keyboard muscles. These posters would not talk to their parents, close friends, co-workers like this. Oh, the anonymity of the Internet.

I can't believe what ********** you guys are. First of all if you read the OP and the original post, you might have noticed one of the things he asked was why it did not back up, on wifi. Perhaps instead of presenting an attitude about the Person losing the phone, you might have offered suggestions or even comments regarding the things that can be done.
Secondly can some moderator explain to me why we can no longer vote down posts. Not every post deserves a positive response, some like those above IMHO should have been voted down.

That's reassuring at least...

First, I didn't loose my phone. I got robbed on the street. My phone was taken from me! How irresponsible of me...
Second, I was merely asking a few simple questions about the functioning of icloud -how cry-baby of me. Other than wanting to know if there was a way to reverse a wipe command and do a remote back up, I was asking (1) if wifi syncing was supposed to work when the phone is plugged into a computer and not the wall, and (2) if all icloud data was accessible the same through a computer not running Lion or ML as through one using it...

But I don't really feel like explaining myself and justifying my post over and over again. If anyone can help me in answering those questions, however, it would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.