Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
This thread is intended to reach all of the people who had Snow Leopard, installed Lion and realized it was a terrible choice, then reinstalled Snow Leopard.

So, here is my question: since I am one of these people, I want to know from the people described above if Mountain Lion is a good choice or should I keep my Snow Leopard?

I just don't want to do the same mistake I did installing Lion and going back to Snow Leopard.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
You should continue to live in the past.....

S-

Are you serious or are you one of those super-dupa-funny guys who waste their time being ironic?
If so, didn't you forget to post a meme or something like that?

Hope you made a good use of your time in Earth, sir.

Reactions: Eugen Mezei

tarryweather

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
Are you serious or are you one of those super-dupa-funny guys who waste their time being ironic?
If so, didn't you forget to post a meme or something like that?

Hope you made a good use of your time in Earth, sir.

Man, people on the internet are hostile.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I guess I'm confused.
You don't like ML and you revert to SL.
You post a message asking if it is a good choice.

It's your computer. Install what you want on it. Why are you seeking input from others when you stated ML was a terrible choice for you. What does it matter what others think?

AndersBrohus

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2012
Denmark!
My friend got an iMac that came with Snow Leopard, and he never upgraded to Lion, and he upgraded to Mountain Lion and he said "My iMac hasn't became slower, maybe a little faster" and i own a rMBP and when i got it, it came with Lion and with ML its much faster! So i think ML is a good upgrade :)

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
I guess I'm confused.

It's your computer. Install what you want on it. Why are you seeking input from others when you stated ML was a terrible choice for you. What does it matter what others think?

Hmm, re-read the OP, please.

To the OP, what exactly about Lion made you go back to Snow Leopard?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Honestly, I find Snow Leopard to be the superior OS as I

1) don't care for the app store, and
2) would rather rosetta than iCloud.

But with a 2011 Macbook air, I don't know if I can go back. All-in-all, it's not bad though, it's better than Lion for sure.

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Honestly, I find Snow Leopard to be the superior OS as I

1) don't care for the app store, and
2) would rather rosetta than iCloud.

But with a 2011 Macbook air, I don't know if I can go back. All-in-all, it's not bad though, it's better than Lion for sure.

SL 10.6.8 has the App Store available...

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
This thread is intended to reach all of the people who had Snow Leopard, installed Lion and realized it was a terrible choice, then reinstalled Snow Leopard.

So, here is my question: since I am one of these people, I want to know from the people described above if Mountain Lion is a good choice or should I keep my Snow Leopard?

I just don't want to do the same mistake I did installing Lion and going back to Snow Leopard.

Keep SL and forget about ML.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Hmm, re-read the OP, please.

To the OP, what exactly about Lion made you go back to Snow Leopard?

You got it.
I DIDNT install ML.
BUT, I installed Lion over my Snow Leonard and I didnt like it for the same reasons hundreds of people complained in this forum. So I returned to Snow Leopard.
Now, I want to know if I will have the same problems as I had with Lion.
IMPORTANT: you might ask "but I dont know which problems you had!"
Then, I repeat: this thread is intended to the people who installed Lion over Snow Leonard and had to return to SL because of the many problems.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I guess I'm confused.

No, read again. He had Lion and disliked it; now he is asking if ML is worth upgrading from SL.

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
You got it.
I DIDNT install ML.
BUT, I installed Lion over my Snow Leonard and I didnt like it for the same reasons hundreds of people complained in this forum. So I returned to Snow Leopard.
Now, I want to know if I will have the same problems as I had with Lion.
IMPORTANT: you might ask "but I dont know which problems you had!"
Then, I repeat: this thread is intended to the people who installed Lion over Snow Leonard and had to return to SL because of the many problems.

Well, the answer would be straight forward if you mentioned which specific problems with Lion made you switch back... Then we'd be able to tell you if they have been amended or not.

People had various different reasons why they preferred SL to Lion. If you don't mention yours, this thread is useless.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Past...future...who cares? just install whatever operating system works for you. I drive a 96 Volkswagen GTI. That's a 16 year old car. Drives great and no car payment!! Am I living in the past? Nope. I'm living in the "whatever I want to do with my life" present. My life is my life, nobody else's. Don't listen to all the nay-sayers on this forum; just do whatever makes you roll. You. That's what matters, all that matters.

Reactions: Gartbull

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Why was it a terrible choice? Too buggy? Software not compatible anymore? Really can't answer your question without knowing why it was terrible.

OlegShv

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
outer Shpongolia
I had 10.6.8 on my 2010 MBP until a couple of days ago. I upgraded to 10.8 and everything seems to work fine. The only glitch I noticed were some artifacts in Safari, but they went away just as unexpectedly as they first appeared. Overall, my systems seems faster with ML than with SL. ;)

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
Why was it a terrible choice? Too buggy? Software not compatible anymore? Really can't answer your question without knowing why it was terrible.

I tend to agree. I was using SL and upgraded to Lion immediately after release (2009 Mini w/ 8gb ram). Was I totally pleased? not really...it was slower, but not bad enough to warrant reverting. I was shocked to see the number of people who posted to complain about Lion, given that my computer was likely less powerful than what most were using/complaining about.

Either way, I was invited to beta test ML and did so...now THERE was something I should have taken more slowly...the initial release was great, but releases 2-4 were barely useable on my Mini...the current release is great. It's been a while since I used SL, but I don't miss it.

With any release, you take your chances with the .0 release...by .2 or .3 most bugs have been found/corrected...I found this to be the case with SL and L...and will likely be the case with ML, though so far my problems are minimal.

Zmijutin

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
i got two 2011 13 MBP's one with i5 320GB 4GB and the other one is i7, 120GB SSD and 8GB. And the first one with SL and i5 uses roughly 200 threads and it has only 50 processes. But ML i7 runs with 450 threads and 100 processes. That clearly shows how much "cleaner" SL is. And battery (both have 10% wear) but with SL it lasts for 7:30 and with ML it lasts for 5 hours max!

I'm not defending ML nor SL just saying raw facts that i can see :)

Hope it helped!

Last edited:

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
I think you can safely upgrade to 10.8. I never liked Lion myself but was forced to upgrade when MobileMe ended (to get iCloud compatibility).

Now I'm quite happy on 10.8. The upgrade was very smooth and everything actually seems more stable.

Couple of things: I wouldn't be able to use 10.8 (or 10.7) without an app called TotalSpaces. This brings back Spaces from Snow Leopard. The auto save function is awkward, but I'm beginning to learn to live with it. I still think Snow Leopard was better overall, but at least 10.8 is great compared to Lion. They fixed a lot of annoying issues. SMB sharing is gone, so a WDTV for example can not access your Mac over the network. And especially annoying is the large font size and gray theme of the Finder Sidebar and Mail. But it's not a deal breaker.

nzacl0

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
new zealand
Well, I upgraded to Lion and then Mountain Lion even though I really liked snow leopard. Snow leopard seemed more 'raw' (no pun intended) than Lion or Mountain Lion, not so many cutesy features to get in the way, and less like IOS. Yes there are changes I hate (expose, Save As) and now in safari the dropping of the separate google search bar - but times move on.

It's my belief that new and different isn't always better, some things work fine just as they were designed.

The day they hide the filesystem like in IOS I'll switch to Linux full time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.