Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
So I have a $100 gift card to use in the Mac App Store that came with my new MBA. Thought I'd poll and see what other users' favorite apps are before I start shopping. Just for fun....:)

Ksh

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
I were in the same position a few weeks ago but didn't think about selling it to be honest hehe

The only apps I really wanted from App Store was iLife and ML but both were free so finally using the gift card for buying iWork and renting a lot of movies movies though Apple Tv :)

Regards.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
appstore isn't gooing IMO except for the apple applications. I used my 100$ for music and movies which I enjoy a lot. I didn't even think to sell it though, which could be a good idea.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Color Strokes, Reeder, Dayone, Diary, Carousel, Pixelmator, Wallpaper Wizard, Beelog, Evernote, Photo Effects Studio Pro, iClip, and Alfred.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
I got a £70($110) card with mine, sold it for £50($80) which I put towards my Samsung 830

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Two people on this thread have recommended Reeder. I've read good things about it, but its not clear to me what problem it solves with Google Reader. I use Google Reader everyday on my iPhone and it works fine.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I once purchases Candy Bar, but it is now free (get it!)

For the gift card, consider some eletronics, perhaps a external HDD?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
RapidWeaver
Feeder
Boinx TV (A bit pricier, but awesome)
Final Cut Pro X/Compressor - Great combo
LittleSnapper
Skitch
Jettison
MPlayerX
Piezo
Courier
MetaMovie

Lots more - I've switched to entirely the Mac App Store and wiped out the other ones - lots of great stuff to be had in the app store - just depends on what you are looking to do.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
One thing to keep in mind with some App Store apps is that their functionality can be limited compared to versions obtained directly from the vendor.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
You should sell it.

Periodically, you can get iTunes Cards at a 20% discount. I got a $50 card for $40 at BestBuy.com late last year. So when I recently bought Mountain Lion, my out of pocket expenses were really $16, not $20.

That's the way you should charge up your account. Don't pay full retail for an iTunes Card and don't let iTunes/App Store purchases hit your credit card.

arnamak

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012
I know this is somewhat old and that gift card is long gone, but this is "stickied" so I thought I'd throw my suggestion in for future readers.
Pandabar!
I love Pandabar, it's a super small program that puts Pandora radio in your tray (next to bluetooth). Any Pandora listener should check it out, the best part is it gives you unlimited skips and no ads. I don't even know how that's possible, but it's pretty awesome.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
XCode
TextWrangler
Pixelmator
1Password
DaisyDisc
GIFQuickMaker
ForkLift
ArtText
iWorks

FCP X with its companion
Bibble Labs (now Corel AfterShot, not AppStore)

SewHappy

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
Keller, Texas
I know this is somewhat old and that gift card is long gone, but this is "stickied" so I thought I'd throw my suggestion in for future readers.
Pandabar!
I love Pandabar, it's a super small program that puts Pandora radio in your tray (next to bluetooth). Any Pandora listener should check it out, the best part is it gives you unlimited skips and no ads. I don't even know how that's possible, but it's pretty awesome.

No longer available. :(

From their website:

Play Pandora from your Mac menu bar.

NOTE: Due to actions by Pandora.com, PandaBar is no longer available for download from the Mac App Store. I am in process of trying to work with Pandora on bringing PandaBar back. I will update this page if PandaBar becomes available for download in the future. Email me at vishal@mahasoftware.com if you have any questions.

doctorjj

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
No longer available. :(

From their website:

Play Pandora from your Mac menu bar.

NOTE: Due to actions by Pandora.com, PandaBar is no longer available for download from the Mac App Store. I am in process of trying to work with Pandora on bringing PandaBar back. I will update this page if PandaBar becomes available for download in the future. Email me at vishal@mahasoftware.com if you have any questions.

For anyone interested...

The developer of PandaBar is collecting signatures on a petition in an attempt to get Pandora to reconsider allowing PandaBar to continue to be developed and offered on the Mac App Store.

You can show your support and sign the petition at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ue&formkey=dDZDMURPX3J0VWhiRlc3X3h3cnZRVnc6MQ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.