Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prefekt

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
I'm still waiting for Michael Keaton-era Batman Yellow.

Come on now, on the black phone? You know it would look good.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
If any iPhone is discontinued during this cycle, it will be the 3GS.

The 4 and 4S will most likely stick around for at least another year, so there is still plenty of time to continue selling bumpers for them.

Yes it probably means the 4/4S will stick around for a while and Apple is trying to cash in more during that cycle. These accessories are nearly pure profit, especially being sold out of Apple retail.

Speaking of 3GS, the iOS 6 update probably signals that it'll be kept around for a bit longer, at least as a prepaid choice.

Tadros

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
New Jersey
Sigh

I would have bought this 2 years ago when I got the iPhone 4, now it's iPhone 5 wait time... a little too late Apple! Maybe they'll have special cases available for the iPhone 5?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Aids is such a boring charity..i mean how many people do you know with aids??

You must be very young. If the ongoing work to eradicate the scourge of AIDS seems boring today, it's only because so many people have worked so hard for so long to make an HIV positive diagnosis amount to something other than a death sentence.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Also worth noting (PRODUCT) RED is not a charity. They are a company that makes a profit, and give some of the money to AIDS research

Sorry, (RED) is not a for-profit corporation by IRS guidelines.

(RED) is a 501(c)(3), a division of The ONE Campaign, another 501(c)(3) organization. It would be categorized as a private foundation rather than a public charity.

http://www.joinred.com/faq/

The main difference between public charities and private foundations is that the former disperses money directly to charitable activities whereas the latter disperses grants to other charitable organizations.

Thanks, cvaldes, for correcting the misinformation presented in TheMacPotato
post.

Whether one chooses to buy the bumper or not, incorrectly (maliciously?) discrediting any charitable behavior on Apple's part is pathetic.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Aids is such a boring charity..i mean how many people do you know with aids??

You lack compassion, and understanding of what charity projects and fundraising is all about. That you would label it (boring) or any charity that benefits from the various contributors, speaks volumes.

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
I have 2 bumpers that I never used. I hate cases, covers, etc. I assume if you use them you usually don't take them off so if it scratched the metal band does it really matter? I've had my iPhone 4 since launch day, no case.. I own a restaurant and its in my pocket and my hands are usually covered in flour and it gets dirty and then wipes clean. These things are meant to be used... and if they need a case then they were designed wrong.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
I've been looking for an iPhone case that matches my red iPad smart cover, but this bumper appears to be a different shade of red than the iPad smart cover. :(

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
i wonder if this will fall apart like the black one?

they shouldn't charge more than $10 honestly.

POS quality from apple. highly disappointed when my black one just broke part by the dock connector. and i love drinking apple koolaid.

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
I have 2 bumpers that I never used. I hate cases, covers, etc. I assume if you use them you usually don't take them off so if it scratched the metal band does it really matter? I've had my iPhone 4 since launch day, no case.. I own a restaurant and its in my pocket and my hands are usually covered in flour and it gets dirty and then wipes clean. These things are meant to be used... and if they need a case then they were designed wrong.

The phone cost me £500, that's an item I wanted to take care of, I wouldn't want to use a scratched up phone and how about protecting my investment and ensure decent resale value, making sure it did not get damaged hence part of the reason I put the bumper on...

The main reason I put the bumper on was to stop deathgrip, signal loss.

Your opinion is invalid, the industry of case and screen protector making wouldn't exist if the majority of people thought like yourself. Even Apple themselves make protective cases / bumpers for there own products because they know there is money to be made and consumers buying premium devices like to take care of them.

It doesn't matter whether its an iPhone or a £10 Nokia I take care of everything I own and if I feel a protector or a case is needed I will buy it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Hard hitting news. This just in ... a new bumper that fits the current gen phone to possibly throw off rumors of a newly designed phone ... oh and pennies go to charity, allegedly.

TheMacPotato

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2006
London
Thanks, cvaldes, for correcting the misinformation presented in TheMacPotato
post.

Whether one chooses to buy the bumper or not, incorrectly (maliciously?) discrediting any charitable behavior on Apple's part is pathetic.

Not discrediting Apples charitable behaviour at all, but it would be great if Apple gave all of the profits from the sale of this bumper to charity rather than pocketing 50% of it for themselves.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I'm fine with these products, but I hate it when someone corners me on a bus and asks why I didn't buy it to support charity. Well, why didn't you just donate instead of having to purchase something to feel good?

You'll be on a bus and someone will randomly corner you and ask why you don't own products made to support charities? Really?

TheMacPotato

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2006
London
Sorry, (RED) is not a for-profit corporation by IRS guidelines.

(RED) is a 501(c)(3), a division of The ONE Campaign, another 501(c)(3) organization. It would be categorized as a private foundation rather than a public charity.

http://www.joinred.com/faq/

The main difference between public charities and private foundations is that the former disperses money directly to charitable activities whereas the latter disperses grants to other charitable organizations.

Ok, I stand corrected, but the companies involved with RED (Starbucks, Apple etc) all make a profit from the products that are sold under the brand. It also not always transparent to the consumer how much of the profit is going to charity and how much to the company. It could also be argued that corporations such as Apple use the RED brand to appear philanthropic, maintaining profits through increased sales. Cause branding rather than corporate social responsibility. Just a thought.

http://www.ssireview.org/blog/entry/the_patina_of_philanthropy/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.