Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I added this to the same MBP and have had zero problems. Was a great deal at the time on Amazon for only $114 :)

DTF

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2010
$160, not worth it when you can get equally good RAM for $110 or less still with a lifetime warranty.

Timings are worse with the Corsair than the OWC. OWC is the better performance.

After spending more than 2K on a laptop it's funny when people balk on memory cost.

A7ibaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Sweden
$160, not worth it when you can get equally good RAM for $110 or less still with a lifetime warranty.

U will change your mind after a few kernel panics and adventure to find trouble free memory.I have pass through that path,and 50$ is nothing for a peace of mind.owc got also lifetime warranty

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
U will change your mind after a few kernel panics and adventure to find trouble free memory.I have pass through that path,and 50$ is nothing for a peace of mind.owc got also lifetime warranty

Ive never had kernal panics on any memory, Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, GSkill or Geil.

xAgustinx

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
So, should I buy Crucial? Or OWC is better?

In my country I can buy Crucial, 16 g, for 215.

semiauto

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012

Trust me it is definitely worth it, especially since it's the only RAM you'll ever buy. Might as well think of it as a long, lifeterm investment and put out the extra $50.

newjacksm

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
I just bought the Corsair off amazon, free shipping and 8 dollar tax. Can't really beat it at the moment. Newegg is selling it for 115.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I just bought the Corsair off amazon, free shipping and 8 dollar tax. Can't really beat it at the moment. Newegg is selling it for 115.

I did the same thing yesterday. Signed up for a free trial of Prime and I should have it today or tomorrow. Corsair is a reputable company, I used to run their XMS memory in my gaming rig without issue.

MacBookProzak

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Curious can MacBook pro use this memory?

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Venge...F8&qid=1344965094&sr=1-3&keywords=16gb+sodimm

I think pro use 1.35v 1600, but this one is 1.5v

Been running the Corsair Vengeance since June 14 in the new cMBP you see in the signature line.

This RAM has posed no problem at all. I run the hell out of this MBP and the harder I pushed it the harder it worked and pushed everything through it.

In my 2011 similarly configured MBP I used the Corsair 16GB for that machine (not the Vengeance RAM that is configured for the 2012) and there were alot of people all over that said that this cheap memory was gonna ruin that machine, well in the 7 months that I was running that memory I had zero issues, no beach balls, just smooth sailing. In a few threads about that Corsair memory I asked for facts with details on exactly the damage that it would cause using Corsair and those threads never got a reply with any facts and details. The only difference that was factually with details was the cost of the Corsair vs the OWC other expensive "kool kids" brands if it is very important for you to be part of that club.

As for the Vengeance RAM, 10 to 12 hour days 5 to 6 days a week with this memory of very intensive MBP use I have had no issues, no excessive fans coming on, no excessive heat and everything seems very normal considering all the editing, rendering and outputting I am doing. Temp under rendering while working on a video is usually 128 degrees and then when I am outputting the video the temp will go up to about 150 degrees and the fans will run anywhere between 5300 to 6000 rpm.

truelies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Maybe we don't need 16gb memory on MacBook, it runs great on 4gb. Seems mac needs less memory than windows. I believe 8g is enough.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.