Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage19.png

EA plans to release the next version of SimCity -- the classic city-building game -- on the Mac simultaneously with the PC release this February. EA will also be delivering Origin, its digital download service, at the same time. The game will be available for purchase and download via the service.

Mac users will be able to connect to the new multiplayer component in SimCity and appears to be feature-complete with the PC-version. EA has yet to announce pricing or system requirements.
The Mac version of the new SimCity is slated to arrive alongside its PC counterpart in February of 2013. Apple users will be able to take advantage of Glassbox-driven gameplay, along with SimCity World and CityLog connectivity features, by purchasing and downloading the game through Origin.

Article Link: New SimCity Coming to Mac in February 2013

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Will be interesting. I was a big fan of SimCity 2000 back in the day, though the last couple games have been a bit disappointing. Some of the stuff they want to do with this version looks pretty cool though.

Hopefully it'll be a TRUE successor to SimCity 2000 and not a SimCity+Sims hash.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Do people still play computer games? I thought people play console games now.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Another digital download service?

I'd probably pick this up on the App Store, but signing up to a whole new service is realistically not going to happen in my case. A pity, this title would probably appeal much more outside the core gaming market.

lnr1

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
My guess, like all EA games, It'll probably be a cider port anyway, which means it'll run bad, and need way too many resources...

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
My guess, like all EA games, It'll probably be a cider port anyway, which means it'll run bad, and need way too many resources...

Could be worse. EA's cider ports are better than Ubisoft's native ports.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Awesome. Although I really hope it's on Steam too as I would really rather not have to touch any download service operated by EA.

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
Do people still play computer games? I thought people play console games now.

Keyboard + mouse cannot be bettered for fast FPS games. Also, console tech is seriously outdated compared to desktops. The major thing holding back certain game technology is the large console market that has to be pandered to.

KBMOD bigup.

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
The worst thing about this game is te fact that it involves EA Games. I won't buy it on release day just because it's EA, I'll have to look and see what people say first.

Worst company in the gaming industry.

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
The worst thing about this game is te fact that it involves EA Games. I won't buy it on release day just because it's EA, I'll have to look and see what people say first.

Worst company in the gaming industry.

Worse than Activision???
Bobby Kotick is the Osama Trash Hussain of the gaming industry. He replaces fun with shareholder profits. Not the right man for the job mithinks. Valve wins all gaming bouts btw.

EA suck too though, but they haven't ripped the warm soul out of gaming like the devil kottick has done in many, many ways over the last 4 years.

Activision took over Blizzard (gaming darlings) and the effects are starting to show!
Pay to win? It'd be laughable if it wasn't so horrible!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
This is exciting news. Maybe I'm getting my hopes up by another SimCity title, because SimCity 4 was so buggy, but it's very pleasing that the Mac title will be released at the same time as the PC version. I was not looking forward to having to boot into BootCamp for this game. SimCity 3000 took like a year and a half to come to the Mac and was barely supported due to the fact that it was ported by a small company called MacKiev. All I have to say is that this better not resemble the abomination that was SimCity Societies. It's a shame we have to use EA's download service - it'll likely be as bad as UbiSoft's.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I don't know, they seem to be going the whole always online route so that could blow up in their face. Simulation-wise it looks really detailed though.

Although on face value of the previews it does seem like they set out fixing what was frustrating about simcity2000. Big cities and region play. The multiplayer modes of part co-operative part combative seems like it could be a lot of fun. Could replace poker night with guys.

But on the flip side everything associated with the Sims brand has been a balls up of late. So really keen to see some reviews of final product, to see if it's more SimCity than Sims.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Nice, haven't played Sim City for quite a while, nice to see it coming to the Mac..

ajcadoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
YES!!!!!

I have been a SimCity fan for ages. This is some of the best news I have seen on MacRumors since the Retina MBP release ;)

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
It won't. EA is no longer putting their games on Steam, unfortunately.

It's because they are pushing their Origin store. Basically EA's Steam. And they announced today that Origin is coming to Mac.

----------

But I am super excited for it and the social aspect to use friends to help build bigger better things.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Keyboard + mouse cannot be bettered for fast FPS games. Also, console tech is seriously outdated compared to desktops. The major thing holding back certain game technology is the large console market that has to be pandered to.

KBMOD bigup.

I agree with you 100 percent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.