Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Hello all,

I would like to start with home video editing on my iMac but I cant find that many programs that runs on OSX.
Im after something a bit better than imovie, and if possible a little cheaper then Final Cut Pro X.
I do like the options Adobe Premiere Elements 10 offers but I have been reading some horrible reviews about it.

Things I would like are: Easy operation, stable on OSX Mountain Lion, quick rendering, direcly burn from the program and being able to burn HD content to DVD (like adobe offers).
It would also be nice to be able to import m2ts files from disk instead of directly from camera because I have some old movies saved on harddisk.

Are there any alternatives or are Adobe Premiere Elements and FCP X the only real options?

Kind regards,

Alex

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
What you're asking is going to be in the price range of FCPX. You're not going to find cheaper alternatives, unfortunately. Having said that, I use FCPX and Premiere... and occasionally Sony Vegas via Boot Camp. Like you said, iMovie is... okay... but if you want more options, you're gonna have to go with the above. Adobe will occasionally have education discounts on their software that are exponentially cheaper than retail... if you're eligible I would look into that.

sammax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Thanks fo your reply.

In the end I wouldnt mind spend the extra money to get FCPX or any other program if it suits my needs, but if im correct FCPX doesnt have the option to burn HD movies to DVD and import m2ts files from other sources than the camera itself like Premiere has am I right?

How is Premiere working out for you on the MAC? is it stable and is the rendering time okay compared to FCPX?
What would you recommend for a beginner? I'm just one of those ocassional movie makers so so easy operation is importent to me.
Of course I can just try out the trials of both but I just hope to be on the right track right away.

Kind regards,

Alex

What you're asking is going to be in the price range of FCPX. You're not going to find cheaper alternatives, unfortunately. Having said that, I use FCPX and Premiere... and occasionally Sony Vegas via Boot Camp. Like you said, iMovie is... okay... but if you want more options, you're gonna have to go with the above. Adobe will occasionally have education discounts on their software that are exponentially cheaper than retail... if you're eligible I would look into that.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Thanks fo your reply.

In the end I wouldnt mind spend the extra money to get FCPX or any other program if it suits my needs, but if im correct FCPX doesnt have the option to burn HD movies to DVD and import m2ts files from other sources than the camera itself like Premiere has am I right?

How is Premiere working out for you on the MAC? is it stable and is the rendering time okay compared to FCPX?
What would you recommend for a beginner? I'm just one of those ocassional movie makers so so easy operation is importent to me.
Of course I can just try out the trials of both but I just hope to be on the right track right away.

Kind regards,

Alex

I use ClipWrap to transcode m2ts files to a format FCPX can use and it takes a few seconds to a minute to do so, depending on the size of the file. Premiere works great for me and it's nice to be able to have more than one editing app as they both have their pros and cons. The rendering time is about the same. Either program is okay for a beginner as long as you read up a little online... maybe some free tutorials... though when I first started I bought several tutorial books on both apps. It might not be all that necessary to know the bells and whistles of the apps, but when you know what your program can do for you, it makes editing a lot more fun.

sammax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Thanks again. I will try Premmiere first :eek:

One more question. Premiere has a 32 and 64 version version.
If I look at the system info on OSX ML its says its 32 bit. do I need the 32 bit version of Premmiere or is 64 bit okay also?

Kind regards,

Alex

Last edited:

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
If you're OS is 32 bit, then you can only use the 32 bit software version. If your OS is 64 bit, you have the option of either 32 and 64. 64 bit version will take advantage of extra memory (if you have it installed).

30 day trial for Final Cut Pro X.
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/trial/

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks again. I will try Premmiere first :eek:

One more question. Premiere has a 32 and 64 version version.
If I look at the system info on OSX ML its says its 32 bit. do I need the 32 bit version of Premmiere or is 64 bit okay also?

Kind regards,

Alex

What exact Mac do you have?

To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
IDyourMacOS.png
To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
IDyourMacModel.png
To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​
For OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion you have to an additional click after "MORE INFO". You have to click the "SYSTEM REPORT" button.

And where exactly does it say 32-bit? Can you make a screenshot and attach it to your next post?

sammax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Sorry for the late reactionI was away a couple of days.

Anyway. I thought when I still was running Snow Leopard it was showing 32 bits on the "about this mac" screen. Now I'm running Mountain Lion I cant find it anywhere.

The model is an 27 inch iMac of 2011

On the system information page it says iMac 12,2

Hope this helps

Nov 28, 2010
located
Sorry for the late reactionI was away a couple of days.

Anyway. I thought when I still was running Snow Leopard it was showing 32 bits on the "about this mac" screen. Now I'm running Mountain Lion I cant find it anywhere.

The model is an 27 inch iMac of 2011

On the system information page it says iMac 12,2

Hope this helps

Then it is a 64 bot system, which every Mac since late 2006 / 2007 is. Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard was a 64 bit system too, it just had a 32 bit kernel. Mac OS X 10.7 Lion has a 64 bit kernel too.

Anyway, you can run 64 bit applications on a 2011 Mac using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

sammax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Ok great, thanks for the reply ;)

Quick other question if you guys dont mind.
It was a hell of a job reinstalling all my sample libraries and software after the clean install of Mountain Lion.
I just purchased a new external HDD and Im wondering if there is a way to make a full image of the system disk to save me some troubles if I have to reinstall for any reason.

Kind regards,

Alex

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ok great, thanks for the reply ;)

Quick other question if you guys dont mind.
It was a hell of a job reinstalling all my sample libraries and software after the clean install of Mountain Lion.
I just purchased a new external HDD and Im wondering if there is a way to make a full image of the system disk to save me some troubles if I have to reinstall for any reason.

Kind regards,

Alex

Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy to a partition of that external HDD.

WaterWings

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Geneva, IL
More about ML and Premiere Elements 10

No wonder everyone thinks Adobe Premiere Elements 10 works so poorly with Mountain Lion. The specifications info indicates that it's not compatible.

Too bad in more ways than one: Today only (8/14/12), B&H Photo is selling a bundle of Adobe Premiere Elements 10 and Photoshop 10 for $69.95, plus free shipping. Of course, this offer is probably being made because of the compatibility issue. I'm guessing/hoping, then, that they'll come up with a new version for ML, even though we won't see that price again.

Good luck with whatever you choose. (And thanks to the reader who recommended the two other programs--helps me too.)

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
My budget don't stretch to the limited of asking that I want something better than iMovie or FCP X.
If you are not in the professional market then the above two software will do the job.
It is not the software one should consider but the art of producing a video which will entertain people.
I find FCP X ideal for my needs and the MAC.

joshualee90

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Just so you know it is impossible to burn a HD video to DVD. DVD although might have enough size cannot be authored to play 1920x1080 (to my knowledge anyway let me know if you can i will be very happy) You can only burn HD to bluray which Macs don't support. When you author to DVD i believe the resolution drops to something like 480p

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Just so you know it is impossible to burn a HD video to DVD. DVD although might have enough size cannot be authored to play 1920x1080 (to my knowledge anyway let me know if you can i will be very happy) You can only burn HD to bluray which Macs don't support. When you author to DVD i believe the resolution drops to something like 480p

Partially true... you can burn HD 1080p files to a DVD without issue. They won't play back in a DVD player though and can only be used as a portable disk (like a flash drive) Burning HD source video to a playable DVD reduces the resolution to 720x480 in the US and 720x576 elsewhere I believe.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Adobe Premiere will directly import .MTS files from a HD or SD card, something that FCP and iMovie refuse to do. Apple does not play well with AVCHD unless you import directly from your camera. Kinda pathetic in my opinion.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
After skimming the thread I don't think the OP mentioned anything that can't be achieved in iMovie.

daybreak I disagree that if you are not a professional you need anything better than FCP X. What about people that do videography as a hobby. I don't really like FCP X. It's great for some things but not so great at more crafted pieces and for that I still use FCP 7.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
I just seen your video "The Shot". Sorry to say we done those type of video or short films in the 60s.
Basically what i'm saying is you can have the best equipment in the world or talent, but one can kill a video by editing and a few other things.
We as a society want better editing software. But we dont ask ourself what do we actually need.
Final Cut Pro 7 is a fine editing software. FCP X is a new format which over the years will lead us to just talking and our software will edit. Hands will become unemployed. That is the future.
As long as you are happy with your software fine.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I just seen your video "The Shot". Sorry to say we done those type of video or short films in the 60s.
Basically what i'm saying is you can have the best equipment in the world or talent, but one can kill a video by editing and a few other things.
We as a society want better editing software. But we dont ask ourself what do we actually need.
Final Cut Pro 7 is a fine editing software. FCP X is a new format which over the years will lead us to just talking and our software will edit. Hands will become unemployed. That is the future.
As long as you are happy with your software fine.

The shot is not an example of my professional work in the slightest and was something that was made for a weekend project. I don't understand why you decided to have a dig at some of the work I have produced? I was simply disagreeing with the fact that you said that no non-professional would ever want anything more than FCP X.

I don't know how many years you are talking but talking to your editing software is too far off to even comprehend for me.

joshualee90

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Partially true... you can burn HD 1080p files to a DVD without issue. They won't play back in a DVD player though and can only be used as a portable disk (like a flash drive) Burning HD source video to a playable DVD reduces the resolution to 720x480 in the US and 720x576 elsewhere I believe.

Should of clarified. Yes this is possible but not really useful since there are USB drives. I used the term authoring which is creating a DVD for playback in my OP.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Sorry but i'm not having a dig at SOME of the work you have made. You advertise, your work on the Vimeo Channel and that was the one i clicked on.
It appears you have your views and i have mine.
Your work looks fine to me. But many subject matters shown on Vimeo and YouTube, are most reworked videos on old themes. Like reshooting old films.
Reading most posts on this forum hits me with one message, :What software for editing".
Sorry if i have offended you in any way. NOT MY INTENTION

Phoon

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
I have to concur; iMovie is a reasonable place to start. There's no need to move to the expensive options if you don't need their features.

(And from what I've seen, FCP X is closer to "iMovie Pro" than the old Final Cut Pro.)

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
The shot is not an example of my professional work in the slightest and was something that was made for a weekend project. I don't understand why you decided to have a dig at some of the work I have produced? I was simply disagreeing with the fact that you said that no non-professional would ever want anything more than FCP X.

I don't know how many years you are talking but talking to your editing software is too far off to even comprehend for me.

I think what daybreak was trying to say is that the content is more important then the tools in some cases and people get too caught up on "is this professional software". I do agree with him on that point. People get waaayyy too hung up on their gear when they still haven't learned the rule of thirds in composition, or shoot a great looking short that has terrible dialogue and no story. I don't think he was looking to insult your work either.

----------

I have to concur; iMovie is a reasonable place to start. There's no need to move to the expensive options if you don't need their features.

(And from what I've seen, FCP X is closer to "iMovie Pro" than the old Final Cut Pro.)

This is the best advice I've seen so far., but the second statement is not accurate in my opinion. It's pretty much everything a Pro editor needs (depending on their workflow), but with a completely different (and better IMHO) UI making it faster, and simpler to use. If anything it allows you to be MORE creative by doing more stuff for you so that you only need to concentrate on the content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.