Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've never used Origin, but from the all the comments here, there seems to be a unanimous consensus that Origin is really horrible. I have Steam and it doesn't bother me at all. Thankfully, SimCity will be available to purchase as a disc and that is what I will be doing.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I've never used Origin, but from the all the comments here, there seems to be a unanimous consensus that Origin is really horrible. I have Steam and it doesn't bother me at all. Thankfully, SimCity will be available to purchase as a disc and that is what I will be doing.

Me too. Lets hope they don't force activation via Origin.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
And even that crap PC tower is more expensive than a PS3.
and the fact that you can play the latest games for 6 years is probably actually a plus for most people.

^This. One thing you have to respect with consoles is, because the hardware is set, the programmers and designers advance their software technologies to improve the user experience with the hardware constraints factored in. Not so with PC games. PC game designers are always coding for the bleeding edge, so every year that shiny new game will run like crap on your aging PC.

On a console, the games are coded to meet certain framerate and playability criteria, or they're not released. So, you can buy new game with loads of eyecandy and it'll run great. Skyrim will run the same as Oblivion did.

Now go to your PC. Choose the same options, and run Oblivion and Skyrim. NOT the same experience.

I just bought an XBox 360 and I'm absolutely thrilled with the variety, performance, and price points of these "crappy old" games. And Skyrim. Wow. :p

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Now for the love of God make an Oregon Trail reboot!

Even if it was a Warcraft type game I'd play it even though I hate that genre!

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
I would love to play SimCity, but my Intel HD3000 will not be able to handle it. Which is good news in a way that my life won't be drained/wasted in games.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Still looking forward to the new game and as the Fall weather sets in and it begins to get cooler, that just means February is getting closer!

danistyping

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Boston, MA
I would love to play SimCity, but my Intel HD3000 will not be able to handle it. Which is good news in a way that my life won't be drained/wasted in games.

I believe the minimum requirement for Mac is hd 3000. The 4000 was listed as the minimum for PC's. I think I have that right, but could be wrong.

Anyone out there lucky enough to be part of the beta testing team?

li21

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
RE: This PC/MAC vs Console debate..
I used to be all about the PC.. I find with my friends(with kids), the older they get the greater the shift to PC over console.. especially with Steam being a one stop shop for many. PC is like their personal sanctuary to get away from kids/ wife..

Opposite for me..
I'll always be a console gamer no matter what.. I got no time to build a PC, upgrade its parts, manage the OS, deal with installations, patches, blue screens..
I just want to buy a box and be able to play every single title released for it for a good 6 years.. Just turn on and go..
I find console exclusives are more compelling buy than PC exclusives..
eg. Rachet and Clank, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear etc on PS3..

PC may have better visuals... but sitting at a desk is not my idea of fun.. I prefer to be lying on my couch viewing on my 60" and Home theatre sound.

Sure you could argue PC can be hooked up the same, way .. hell I have a HTPC running all my media / Free to air TV.. but why have I never played a single game on it? probably me being lazy..

Anyways .. once in while there a PC game I want to play thats not on any consoles.. The last one was THE MOVIES.

Now its Simcity 2013
I have a MAC AIR 2010 model 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM and
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
.. will that run it ?

:D

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002

Origin will teach you the true meaning of pain. You are wise to avoid it.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Origin isn't that bad generally, just annoying having to have multiple accounts for multiple services offering basically the same thing. Id much rather just have 1 Steam account with the choice to get anything on that.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Do people still play computer games? I thought people play console games now.

I keep thinking about a console, but then I think that the PS3 and Xbox are horribly outdated and due for a massive refresh any time now. And that's the problem with consoles (and their benefit). They are always behind computer gaming on the one hand and usually lack typical PC controls that are good for some games (like a mouse), but on the other hand you usually know the game will run reasonably well and at least no worse on your console than anyone else's since they're tested on the same basic machines (whereas computer gaming can be all over the place with different hardware and CPU/GPUs and even operating systems).

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
i think i read that they have a release date set for the windows release but not a mac release :(

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
So did I :( no mac release date yet.... guess I'll go buy a copy of windows If I have too.

I wonder what kind of power you need to run this game... Would a 2011 base model work? In either Windows/Mac side?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.