Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal
while part leaks seen so far have yet to reveal evidence of the incorporation of a fingerprint sensor, a number of observers have argued that the capabilities could be relatively easily incorporated into the device's home button.

That horizontal pill shaped home button rumor from last year makes much more sense now.

Attachments

• 6325c_prototype-iphone-5-home-button.jpg
    6325c_prototype-iphone-5-home-button.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 104

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
the iPhone's glass is a fingerprint magnet so it'd be pretty easy for any thief to lift a print off it and use it to trick the sensor somehow...

yes, because street thieves are all about james bond stuff like lifting prints and making reproductions to trick sensors. all before you can reach another phone or browser to disable your stolen one. riiight.

Last edited:

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Yes, but that has to change!

Did you read the rest of my post, finger printer scanners really don't work in all industries due to people wearing down their finger print, builders suffer from this problem mostly. My dad along with his colleagues struggle logging in on laptops what are fitted with finger scanners, due to them having really rough and cracked hands from Welding and moving equipment around etc it is on power stations and stuff mostly.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
They initially screwed the pooch with Siri (beta) and I doubt they want a hit feature to go down in flames again.

huh? siri works fine on my phone -- i use several times a week it to set appointments and reminders, and send short texts as i walk.

is yours broken?

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
What would be perfect is if Passbook became capable of acting as a digital debit/credit card with NFC and this fingerprint technology. I'd never have to carry a wallet with me again...

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
Woot! I've been wanting this for ages. I'm tired of typing in passwords on my phone and laptop. I hope this will eliminate the need for passwords eventually.

Though, I wonder how the guys at Agilebits feel about this? :S

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Did you read the rest of my post, finger printer scanners really don't work in all industries due to people wearing down their finger print, builders suffer from this problem mostly. My dad along with his colleagues struggle logging in on laptops what are fitted with finger scanners, due to them having really rough and cracked hands from Welding and moving equipment around etc it is on power stations and stuff mostly.

so youre saying mobile makers wont introduce this feature because welders and your dad cant use them? er, what about people w/ NO FINGERS!? omg. scrap the whole thing, folks!!

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
It's been announced, but hasn't closed yet.

I don't understand the deal. Apple appear to be buying them, but licensing technology from them on a non-exclusive basis at the same time. If Apply own the company wouldn't they own all the technology on an exclusive basis as well?

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Bourgeois, see!

so youre saying mobile makers wont introduce this feature because welders and your dad cant use them? er, what about people w/ NO FINGERS!? omg. scrap the whole thing, folks!!

'just another example of the inherent filth of the proletariat scum and their disgusting 'flaky' hands, if they insist of engaging in manual labour then they don't deserve to interact with the latest gadgets!

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
(No, it won’t be in the coming iPhone 7. We’ve seen front, back and home button pretty clearly already.)
Holy moly, what happened to 5 & 6? :eek: :p
I guess it would have to be non-mandatory. An extra or alternative level of security for those who could, and wanted to, use it.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007

he could take of his shoe and use his pinky toe ;)

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
I’m confused. Has Apple acquired AuthenTec? Their website would suggest not.

Suspect there's a number of regulatory things (like anti-trust approval) to get through before it's formalised. Sometimes companies that are being acquired don't publicly acknowledge the news until it's more certain.

ViPhone

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Miami, Florida
I don't understand the deal. Apple appear to be buying them, but licensing technology from them on a non-exclusive basis at the same time. If Apply own the company wouldn't they own all the technology on an exclusive basis as well?

It really depends on the the agreement itself. For instance, Apple could in theory just purchase a majority stake, in which case it is both their and AuthenTec's technology.

But seriously, if they introduce this feature this September, their sales will be unprecedented.

2005CTS

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Apple Buys AuthenTec - the maker of the finger print scanner on the Motorola Atrix

Folks - this isn't new...AuthenTec made the finger print scanner on the 1st generation Motorola Atrix. I had an Atrix and this was one of my favorite features. It was part of the power button and worked really well. I can only imagine that with two additional years of R&D on this feature it could very easily be integrated into Apple's home button.

And I see no issue with this making the launch in 27 days. In fact - I will be disappointed if it isn't part of the next iPhone. The purchase of the company is late breaking news...but evidently Apple has been working on this technology for quite some time - most likely for the next iPhone.

Two features I loved about my Atrix from two years ago were the 4" screen and finger print scanner. Looks like both are now coming to the iPhone!!! Only took Apple two years to incorporate what Motorola had with their first Atrix.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK

Maybe they're licensing it until the deal goes through and Authentec become part of Apple? And a license would mean they could still use the technology if the deal went sour for some reason.

ViPhone

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Miami, Florida
Suspect there's a number of regulatory things (like anti-trust approval) to get through before it's formalised. Sometimes companies that are being acquired don't publicly acknowledge the news until it's more certain.

Anti-trust approval isn't very relevant here, but yes, Apple and AuthenTec must work their way through the bureaucracy first (i.e, filing the information to the SEC for their approval). It shouldn't take very long actually, it's a rather efficient process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.