Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Any of you plan on giving Tizen a run when it first comes out? I know I definitely will.
Samsung's Executive Vice President, J-D Choi gives a demo of HTML5/CSS3 apps on Tizen running on a Galaxy S2 HD. This at the 2012 Tizen Developer Conference in San Francisco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1z0xRNvPTA&feature=plcp

Last edited:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I'd love for iOS and Android to get hit hard by competition but at the snails pace Tizen is going, with nearly no publicity about it and it being based on HTML5, there's not much to be excited about. Firefox OS is yet another HTML5 phone that just...doesn't strike me as a good alternative.

We need a true Linux OS for phones that is built more like iOS, and we need BB10 to actually be a hit in order to make iOS and Android realize they may need to do more to get the BB users.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Not really. From all the previews and hand-on it looks like another android wanna be OS layer on top of a borrowed linux kernel with samsung's GB era touch wiz (yuck!).

I would rather take meego if it wasn't dead.

I just hope BB10 and WP8 make it alive. Getting sick of the iPhone and galaxy duopoly nowadays.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
We need a true Linux OS for phones that is built more like iOS

Yeah, they should make that! Call it something like Maemo or Meego or OpenMoko or SLP. Oh wait... :rolleyes:

Both Android and the former WebOS are true Linux OSes. They use the Linux kernel after all.

----------

on top of a borrowed linux kernel

Borrowed ? I'm pretty sure they haven't borrowed anything, they just licensed it like everyone else does.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Yeah, they should make that! Call it something like Maemo or Meego or OpenMoko or SLP. Oh wait... :rolleyes:

Both Android and the former WebOS are true Linux OSes. They use the Linux kernel after all.

----------

Borrowed ? I'm pretty sure they haven't borrowed anything, they just licensed it like everyone else does.

Well but they are Java based VMs running on top of the kernel. Why can't they scratch that and instead write it in a C variant and abolish the VM model? I am sure it will work out far better.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Well but they are Java based VMs running on top of the kernel. Why can't they scratch that and instead write it in a C variant and abolish the VM model? I am sure it will work out far better.

How would it be better ? In terms of ease of deployment for 3rd parties, it would add unnecessary steps of recompiling a binary for every known architecture, so it would hurt portability. Remember,. Android doesn't just run on top of ARM, there are devices out there that use Intel's x86 based Medfield platform. The Davlik VM gives them to opportunity of making that transparent to developers and users who can just buy apps whatever their device's SoC architecture.

Performance ? Debateable. Davlik and other VMs are nowadays quite efficient at certain operations, and with JIT compilation and bytecode interpretation hybrid models, they can on the fly optimize certain portions of code that execute frequently without incurring the penalty of compiling the bytecode on every launch.

Then there's the added complexities of these lower level languages, like memory management (especially memory management in the case of C).

But that only applies to 3rd party developers. Davlik itself is written in C++ (can't really execute itself now can it...) and probably most of the display server is also not executed within Davlik either. Then there's the NDK for those devs that really need lower level access and are ready to sacrifice the RAD environnement provided by Android's frameworks.

In the end, they are no less true Linux OSes. Linux is a kernel, it doesn't really define the userspace requirements. Busybox, GNU, a custom userspace like Android or even WebOS, it's all moot, the kernel doesn't care. It scedules processes, provides a VFS layer to organize storage into a single syscall interface, provides networking and a HAL.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
From what I've seen, it generates zero excitement.

Blackerry 10 and Windows Phone 8 though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.