Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Are the Pause/Play and Menu buttons slightly different? One being more recessed into the remote than the other?

And the select button a bit... loose? Like it shifts side to side? Not too bothered, just wondering. It works fine.

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
yes, play/pause is flat, menu sinks in a bit. it helps you find them in the dark.

my select isn't "loose" feels like the others, and you can't really wiggle it side to side, if that's what you mean

berthenderson

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
I say return the Apple TV, that way the next remote might have a better build quality.

How is the Apple TV? Thinking of getting one.

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
I say return the Apple TV, that way the next remote might have a better build quality.

Do you have a lot of content in iTunes? For me this was really the deciding factor. I have ripped all my movies into iTunes, 26k songs, tons of tv shows. So buying the ATV was awesome as it had everything perfectly organized, artwork etc. Now the new bonus I have for the ATV is I about to cut cable. I did the math of everything the wife and I watch and we can cut the cord for cable AND our bill will be half of what it was. Plus this gets my wife from having the TV on HGTV all day every day....oh wait sometimes its Bravo. Anyways these are the things I would look at before buying, but its only $100 so its cheap too.

The other thing is Netflix and Hulu. Netflix I am on a streaming only account and for the kids alone its worth it, Hulu I think I am cancelling after this month...too many commercials and not enough content. I will just buy the shows I want from iTunes instead of paying hulu AND getting commercials.

Now if you jailbreak then you have other options, but not if you buy an ATV3, those at this time are not breakable. If you have specific questions I would love to answer them. Thanks.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England

Really? I should return the whole thing just because my remote's 'select' button wiggles ever so silghtly?? It works perfectly though! Is it worth it???

But yeah, so far I love it. I bought it mainly because I've been using Netflix on my PS3, but wanted something much smaller to go downstairs, since my PS3 stay's in my room. I haven't used it to it's full potential yet, though. I've only used Netflix and AirPlay, but just them alone make it an awesome purchase. Would definitely recommend it.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
I bought an Apple TV a couple of months ago, and the 'select' button on mine is slightly wiggly as well. In fact, the menu and play/pause buttons are a little wiggly, too, if you pay close enough attention. It bothered me at first (makes the whole thing feel cheap and flimsy) but now I don't really notice it too much. I'm sure if I had taken the remote back to the Apple Store and complained, they would have swapped it out, but I never bothered.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Thanks for your reply man.

Yeah, it's not a big deal really. Just like you said, made the remote feel a bit cheap, especially when I press in 'select'.

I'm guessing the majority will be like that, tbh.

Loving ATV though.

berthenderson

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for your reply man.

Yeah, it's not a big deal really. Just like you said, made the remote feel a bit cheap, especially when I press in 'select'.

I'm guessing the majority will be like that, tbh.

Loving ATV though.

Surely you'd want it to be en exceptional condition, and not have to put up with a 'flimsy' built remote? I mean, I can understand if they're all like that, but, in my opinion, it's worth taking the remote to Apple and asking for an exchange. Don't you? Not saying to try and exchange the Apple TV, just the remote. I would if I felt it wasn't right.

And thanks for information on the Apple TV. Definitely will buy one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.