Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NSOiP4s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
Lately ive been experiencing an issue when turning off my iPhone 4s. It keeps rebooting. I only notice this issue during onboard when i need to turn off the device during flight takeoff. So i just set the airplane mode to on. Is there anybody who experience same with 4s? Any input will be appreciated, thanks.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
When flying, don't just do the airplane mode, switch the whole thing off. It is very rare but sometimes your phone can still interfere with communications.

Sorry, but just warning you from certain death.

NSOiP4s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
I always turn my phone off when flying, but this time with 4s the issue occurs when i try to turn it off, instead it reboots. I tried several times but still the sAme thing happens and i end up setting the Airplane mode to ON.

ANinjaPeanut

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
I always turn my phone off when flying, but this time with 4s the issue occurs when i try to turn it off, instead it reboots. I tried several times but still the sAme thing happens and i end up setting the Airplane mode to ON.

I too was having this problem, I still don't know what the cause was but it doesn't do it any more after a restore (I had other reasons for restoring) but that fixed it.
Is your phone Jailbroken?

NSOiP4s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
Is this thing a feature or a defect? Cause when you need to turn it off, theres no way you can do it, or am i alone with this thing?

NSOiP4s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
It is now, hoping that jailbreak will fix it. But it happens even before the jailbreak.

ANinjaPeanut

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
It is now, hoping that jailbreak will fix it. But it happens even before the jailbreak.

As I've said a restore worked for me, it's a pain in the ass I know BUT it does fix the issue. Good luck & make sure to keep the thread updated if you solve your problem :)

NSOiP4s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
Thanks for your advice but i tried to restore it before the jailbreak and the problem still exist.
Is there someone who did experience this aside from ANinjaPeanut?

xRYD3Rx

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Same exact thing happened to my 4S. Took it to 3 Apple Stores they all told me its causing this because water touched the phone.

fanatic

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
i had same problem, couldn't turn phone off as it just turned straight back on.

the problem was faulty dock connector, somehow it got water damaged, though I didn't drop in water etc.

i was told the reason it keeps switching itself back on as it thought it was connected to cable etc.

Replaced dock connector fixed issue

NSOiP4s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
Have tried to turn off the device when charging and it works. Now i can turn off my 4s even not connected with the charger. (weird but something wrong with the connector i assume). Still under observation and will let you know guys if it surely fixes the problem.

NSOiP4s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
Problem solve. I can turn off my 4s anytime. If you encountered this issue, try to turn off your 4s while charging to fix the issue. Thanks for the advices.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
When flying, don't just do the airplane mode, switch the whole thing off. It is very rare but sometimes your phone can still interfere with communications.

OK, so the discharge from a phone in airplane mode is going to cause more EM interference than the static discharges from the plane's exterior; the electrical noise from the plane's engines, actuators, computers, pay phones and microwave ovens; and the EM noise over large urban areas (which includes microwave energy from cell towers)? Sorry I just don't believe it.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

I don't buy this one bit. Turning off cell phones during take off is just an over cautious guideline. There is real danger from cell interference. None whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.