Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I am very interested in a WP8 from Nokia. I am currently using a WP7 device and I really enjoy it. I'm looking forward to what WP8 brings to the table.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
While I wait for Apple to catch up to the mainstream smartphones with full sized displays, I have decided to buy a Windows 8 phone. It should be an interesting experience.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Especially if your not keen on the next iPhone would you consider a move?

No not at all. IMHO Android and iOS are the most attractive mobile environments. The rest is too far away.

By the way: M$ released the Windows Phone 7 Connector in App Store for free:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If you're an android user, I'm sure there will be a launcher for it soon enough anyway. Try launcher 7, the interface is absolutely crazy.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I would definitely look at them, but I can't see them becoming a major player for smartphones for another 3 years.

Also, I really hate the interface. It's really childish and simplistic looking, like I'm not using a phone but rather some kind of electronic mall kiosk menu. If they can actually deliver an interface that doesn't make me feel like I'm being sold some flashy crap like a futuristic display from Minority Report, I'll consider a Windows Phone.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
WP7 is good, and is a match for Android and iOS. But MS were too late with it. In any case, the fact that you're more or less screwed if you bought a WP7 phone, really makes me ignore WP altogether.

It puzzles me : is a phone that runs WP7 not powerful enough to handle WP8 ?
In any case, I'll be getting an iPhone 4S when the 5 is released (it's too expensive right now) or Google Nexus with Android (a LOT cheaper and just as good)...

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Yup. 90% chance i will also flip my S3 for a WP8 from Nokia. Love the Metro UI and the app design consistency. Give it more apps and i don't care at all about android.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
I am very interested in a WP8 from Nokia. I am currently using a WP7 device and I really enjoy it. I'm looking forward to what WP8 brings to the table.

It brings a whole new phone. The WP7 device can go in the closet.
Even so I'm looking forward to a test drive.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
All i can say is that I'm keeping an open mind. If other phones are better, I wouldn't mind considering jumping ship; that's technology, it always gets better.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
If you're an android user, I'm sure there will be a launcher for it soon enough anyway. Try launcher 7, the interface is absolutely crazy.

Launcher7 is what woke me up to Windows Phone when I had a Droid. I switched launchers like underwear before I discovered L7, and stuck with that for the remaining six months I owned the phone. So much better than the stock Android launcher and so much different than any of the other launchers out there.

Also, I really hate the interface. It's really childish and simplistic looking, like I'm not using a phone but rather some kind of electronic mall kiosk menu. If they can actually deliver an interface that doesn't make me feel like I'm being sold some flashy crap like a futuristic display from Minority Report, I'll consider a Windows Phone.

IMO, it's beautiful in a simplistic/minimalistic kind of way. And it is by far the easiest interface to use of the three major players... at least for me. Get in, get out, get on with my life. Exactly what I want from my device.

WP7 is good, and is a match for Android and iOS. But MS were too late with it. In any case, the fact that you're more or less screwed if you bought a WP7 phone, really makes me ignore WP altogether.

It puzzles me : is a phone that runs WP7 not powerful enough to handle WP8 ?

A lot of the WP8 issue is hardware, from what I understand. Display, scaling, NFC, etc. That said, Windows shot themselves in the foot by proclaiming that all WP7 devices couldn't be updated to WP8. The average consumer wouldn't know the difference between WP8 and WP8.01, the latter of which could be the Windows 7.8 (stripped down WP8) they plan to release to all legacy phones.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Launcher7 is what woke me up to Windows Phone when I had a Droid. I switched launchers like underwear before I discovered L7, and stuck with that for the remaining six months I owned the phone. So much better than the stock Android launcher and so much different than any of the other launchers out there.

Honestly, after owning the GS3 for a month, I have to agree with you. The Windows feel was actually really enjoyable.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I like Windows 7 and I am sure I will like Windows 8.

The app situation is atrocious though. That's my biggest point of contention.

In terms of user experience, it's very very good. I think it looks good as well.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Giving this a shot today and so far, its pretty cool and works great. Dont think it is the best looking home screen using th tiles but its a change of pace.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Giving this a shot today and so far, its pretty cool and works great. Dont think it is the best looking home screen using th tiles but its a change of pace.

It also doesn't really fit the phone. It feels really "not native". However, it really does make a case for Windows phone.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
It also doesn't really fit the phone. It feels really "not native". However, it really does make a case for Windows phone.

Looks like it fits fine to me

Screenshot_2012-08-17-20-23-48.png

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That said, Windows shot themselves in the foot by proclaiming that all WP7 devices couldn't be updated to WP8. The average consumer wouldn't know the difference between WP8 and WP8.01, the latter of which could be the Windows 7.8 (stripped down WP8) they plan to release to all legacy phones.

You nailed this 100%. If I'm Microsoft, I either
A) bring WP8 to Lumia
B) Don't announce that the Lumia isn't supported until a WP8 phone is an option.

We still don't know to what degree Microsoft has screwed up on this. Honestly, I feel like for us power users, this is kind of like strike one. Microsoft probably doesn't want to fall into the same boat as android where updates never happen.

----------

Looks like it fits fine to me

Well yeah, but it's not really Windows phone. Choose a tile and it just opens the android app (duh), which really isn't the whole windows experience. It does look great, but there's definitely a chrome logo tile in the launcher so you don't have the IE logo on your Chrome tile!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Yes.

I'm already using a Lumia 800 as my main phone and love it. I'll definitely switch to a WP8 device asap.

The iPhone isn't even an option anymore.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Yes.

I'm already using a Lumia 800 as my main phone and love it. I'll definitely switch to a WP8 device asap.

The iPhone isn't even an option anymore.
You're not upset that you bought a phone that you can't even upgrade from 7.5 to 8?

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
You're not upset that you bought a phone that you can't even upgrade from 7.5 to 8?

If it works fine, then why bother with windows 8? Same for iOs6, why bother upgrading to ios6 if I'm losing maps, and basically not gaining anything?

I think for all that matters, windows 7.5 is more than enough for what one needs.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Yes, why not. WP7 is gorgeous, I'd recommend to try it out. I think the aestethics will play an important role though, so we'll see how that goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.