Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orthoreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Please help me to discover what the symbol is, and how to turn it off, on my main screen title bar. Next to the Bluetooth and battery symbols is a lock with a curved arrow around it. It looks like the curved arrow around my home Mac time machine symbol.
Does anyone know what this is for?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Orthoreed

FeliceMaxine

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
Lock symbol with a circular arrow around it on iPhone status bar

A padlock with a circular arrow around it in the status bar at the top the screen means that the phone is locked to portrait mode and will not rotate to landscape mode . This can be turned on and off by double clicking home so that your open apps are displayed then swiping these icons to the right until your iPod contols appear (it will be all the way to the left in your open apps), you should see an icon with a circular arrow. This icon is a toggle to lock and unlock your screen rotation.

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
vicgf2ffyv-t.jpg

TM-Seattle

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2009
See: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/730946/. Sometimes it's worth using google or mroogle to search the forums before posting :)

I found my answer there, but had to red thru a lot of trash to get the answer. It is there. Thanks to "FeliceMaxine for answering it clearly, in such a way that someone searching the forum can find the answer!

Here is more info, with an image specific to this issue.

=====================

For those trying to figure out how to "Unlock iPhone screen rotation". With IOS4 they gave us quick access to the iPod controls and also Screen orientation lock.

This is a "setting" that is NOT found in the iPhone "Settings" app! Anyway I've been trying to find it for a couple weeks now. Seems like it could be 'repeated' in the settings app, so it would be easier to find.

Thanks BHP41!
-doubleclick the 'home' button,
-slide all the icons to the right (and look on the left side)

You will see the screen lock icon which will toggle your 'screen orientation lock' to 'off'.

screen-rotation-lock.jpg

(Image from 'theiphoneguru.com')

Ebhring

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
Thank you TM-Seattle for your post and FeliceMaxine for being helpful, unlike the other clowns who would rather spend their time making us waist ours. I found this easily and quickly and It answered my question.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Thank you TM-Seattle for your post and FeliceMaxine for being helpful, unlike the other clowns who would rather spend their time making us waist ours. I found this easily and quickly and It answered my question.
I must be missing something, you obviously did a search, or you wouldn't have found this thread, so how was it a waste of your time?
Since we sure don't want anyone else "wasting" their time searching...
BTW this information is right from the iPhone. Open Safari, click bookmarks, select iPhone User Guide>iPhone at a Glance, scroll to the bottom of the page, select "Status Icons". BTW, welcome to MacRumors....Lighten up a bit with the clown remarks!

Attachments

• Status Icons 1.png
    Status Icons 1.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 33,137
  • Status Icons2.png
    Status Icons2.png
    76 KB · Views: 22,852

Ebhring

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
See James, you can be helpful. That's actually good information. Maybe next time you can skip the sarcasm and I can skip the clown comment.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
This didn't even require searching. I figured out what the icon was by simply using some reasoning skills. If you look at the icon when you activate the lock, it looks like the one in the status bar. C'mon people, those science classes taught you the scientific method. Why let that go to waste?:rolleyes: Use your brain like Darwin when he developed the Theory of Evolution.

Thank you, but I didn't go to the trouble of creating an account, logging in, and creating a new post, just so someone could do my searching for me.

Last edited:

hilaryaustin

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Dallas Tx
This didn't even require searching. I figured out what the icon was by simply using some reasoning skills. If you look at the icon when you activate the lock, it looks like the one in the status bar. C'mon people, those science classes taught you the scientific method. Why let that go to waste? Use your brain like Darwin when he developed the Theory of Evolution.

LOL when all those things from school were like 4 years ago. So it was quite hard to figure and remember it out. But never the less they are useful now at the moment.

carla111

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
Thank you!

A padlock with a circular arrow around it in the status bar at the top the screen means that the phone is locked to portrait mode and will not rotate to landscape mode . This can be turned on and off by double clicking home so that your open apps are displayed then swiping these icons to the right until your iPod contols appear (it will be all the way to the left in your open apps), you should see an icon with a circular arrow. This icon is a toggle to lock and unlock your screen rotation.

thank you but I initially didn't know how to double-click home. I finally figured it out. Next time for beginners, tell them where home screen is....thanks though, I fixed it! CC

BrianMR

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
USA
Thanks to the people of this thread who were actually helpful and posted the info. This thread is now the top Google thread that I found that was an answer to my query on this. Much better to just say "orientation lock" than post pictures of faces being palmed. It will help the searches of the future as well.

MACcullit

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
Whew finally i was able to remove the icon, thanks to TMSeattle this thread is very helpful

MilkMan1109

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Gripe!

WOW, we sure wouldn't want you to have to go to all the trouble to read a thread to find an answer.

Why do people have to be so arsey on these techy forums. Surely these forums exist to answer questions like this thread. GROW UP!:mad:

SMVH

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
Solution!

Thank you--first solution that popped up in a Google search.

Orthoreed, why on earth would you use an "iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting" forum to post a question, needing help? ;)

Thanks again.

Westham66

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Thank you, but I didn't go to the trouble of creating an account, logging in, and creating a new post, just so someone could do my searching for me.

What a dick!

----------

Another dick!

----------

This didn't even require searching. I figured out what the icon was by simply using some reasoning skills. If you look at the icon when you activate the lock, it looks like the one in the status bar. C'mon people, those science classes taught you the scientific method. Why let that go to waste?:rolleyes: Use your brain like Darwin when he developed the Theory of Evolution.

And theres the trilogy!

I know this comment doesn't help solve the already solved problem of the icon discussed, but it does solve the problem of diagnosing the dicks on this forum. So this is for those that could have been struggling to get the right help in this area, don't worry, they've been identified, please avoid!

Mature: NO
Feel Good factor: Yes

Symbol1

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
I have a litle red exclamation sign in a circle close to the battery indicator...does anyone knows the answer ???? Thanks

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have a litle red exclamation sign in a circle close to the battery indicator...does anyone knows the answer ???? Thanks
Are you jailbroken? Is it really a circle (and what color is the circle)? It sounds like it's a notification (reminder) from a jailbreak tweak, like from BiteSMS, IntelliscreenX, LockInfo, or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.