Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
My macbook aluminium late 2008 is almost dead! i only can boot in snow leopard or windows, and my fan go crazy, and i need external monitor, if i don't have external monitor just go sleep. I take my mac to apple store to tray fix, but the can't fix there.

These files are for the MacBook Air (Late 2010) only.

You are going to need to restore your SMC firmware to the correct version for your device. Luckily, this should be possible for your 2008 MacBook as there is an SMC firmware update available:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If it wont install/run due to thinking that a newwer SMC firmware is already installed, you may be able to override it using a procedure similar to this:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/10868785?messageID=10868785#10868785?messageID=10868785

Last edited:

Toshibo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012
These files are for the MacBook Air (Late 2010) only.

You are going to need to restore your SMC firmware to the correct version for your device. Luckily, this should be possible for your 2008 MacBook as there is an SMC firmware update available:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If it wont install/run due to thinking that a newwer SMC firmware is already installed, you may be able to override it using a procedure similar to this:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/10868785?messageID=10868785#10868785?messageID=10868785

Thank you for help!
I download my MB fireware but no have the option for "show content package".

"2. I opened the package in the Finder (right click - "show content Package")
The Finder open a new window with the contents of the Install-App
In the package are some folders and contents."

how i can open this package?

please i need help soooooooo bad!

Toshibo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012
Thank you for help!
I download my MB fireware but no have the option for "show content package".

"2. I opened the package in the Finder (right click - "show content Package")
The Finder open a new window with the contents of the Install-App
In the package are some folders and contents."

how i can open this package?

please i need help soooooooo bad!

finally i install smc firmware in utility folder, but say i cant install, i think because i have new version(1.67f6) ! my macbook is daed!

Last edited:

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
finally i install smc firmware in utility folder, but say i cant install, i think because i have new version(1.67f6) ! my macbook is daed!

One tip for you to run ML is to use the procedure to BYPASS SMC module upon startup. Thus will give fast fans (noisy) but everything will work including ML booting and fucntioning. Here is the procedure:
1) Step one , REMOVE THE battery. You do not need it since it will not charge anyway (for now).
2) Step 2, Magsafe OFF, then Press power key hold for 5 sec, Press and hold down the power button while plugging in the magsafe.
3) Release the power button. Now press it normally once and release to boot. Fans will run fast but ML will boot and function.

To solve the problem, I cannot see how the original poster would not suggest using the same install.pkg process to flash the SMC blind!. Unless the flashing program actually checks the version before over-writting. If there are no checks, a direct blind flash of the exact version (extracted from Appleś download) should work. Can somebody who can do installer.pkg advise how to substitute the smc file in the original package to a different file but one targetted to the specific model.?

Toshibo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012
One tip for you to run ML is to use the procedure to BYPASS SMC module upon startup. Thus will give fast fans (noisy) but everything will work including ML booting and fucntioning. Here is the procedure:
1) Step one , REMOVE THE battery. You do not need it since it will not charge anyway (for now).
2) Step 2, Magsafe OFF, then Press power key hold for 5 sec, Press and hold down the power button while plugging in the magsafe.
3) Release the power button. Now press it normally once and release to boot. Fans will run fast but ML will boot and function.

To solve the problem, I cannot see how the original poster would not suggest using the same install.pkg process to flash the SMC blind!. Unless the flashing program actually checks the version before over-writting. If there are no checks, a direct blind flash of the exact version (extracted from Appleś download) should work. Can somebody who can do installer.pkg advise how to substitute the smc file in the original package to a different file but one targetted to the specific model.?

Thank you for help! Now I can boot in ML( fan super fast lol).
My MacBook aluminum late 2008 (MacBook 5,1)
I download SMC firmware and try show package contents but I can't do, then I use some app for open, extrac installation app from the package and install in utility folder and try instal but fail! I think the program check my version and no let me install.
If somebody can extract the file for me and send to me and how to install thanks!

In the installation I can't find MBP31_15.pkg and Archive.pax.gz, but I find SMC-Firmware-Update.app and com.apple.updater.smc.macbookpro.plist.

Maybe I have to install Mac OS X 10.5.5!

I try to install Mac OS X 10.5, but not let me do! Just restart!

Only snow leopard, lion and ML.

I install fan control app but not work to!

Last edited:

FabioR6

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
Hello, first of all thank you for all answers. I notice that the mac only working with a HDMI cable connected to a TV via the DVI port.
I need the SCM software macbook pro 13 in mid-2010.

but only on the Apple site is not available unlike other download mac!

Someone could copy the SMC from her lover. I think it is in:

/system/library/CoreServices/FirmwareUpdates/

Copy the folder : MacBookProSMC15

thank you in advance!!

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Thank you for help! Now I can boot in ML( fan super fast lol).

Only snow leopard, lion and ML.

I install fan control app but not work to!

No, Fan control does NOT work becuase the SMC module has been on software-bypass by the procedure. The buttons work becuase they were "hardwired" to the chip. I think the SMCchip is working on minimal-mode and no software drivers in this procedure. At least the system functions.

The MBP31 procedure linked will NOT work because in that case, the coded SMC version becomes 0.0.0.0. If it becomes like this, I can get it fixed in 2 mins. But in the MBP51 case, the version number becomes a large number so the flasher checking procedure (I cannot find where it checks!) fails since onboard version is greater than version attempting flash!. Don't you hate it when stupid programmers did not think about CHOICE or Undo when they attempt a procedure ?. So a different method is needed.

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Warning on using laptop with fans running full speed!.

For those using the Bypass-SMC procedure, please DO NOT use your laptop for hours in a non-airconitioned room!. It will blow out the fan pretty soon. The fans will overheat and the system will just POWER OFF!.

I found out by testing that only ONE FAN was operational for some reason. The right-most side fan. This means the board is not getting maximum cooling as we might think!. So the issue on the SMC restore needs to be resolved quickly before too many fans blow!. Apple will get into serious legal problems when this happens!.:mad:

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
Mark me down as another person who this doesn't seem to be working for... I've reset the SMC, repaired disk permissions, repaired disk, al of that stuff and Power Nap still isn't working. There is also quite a bit more lag after opening the lid before I can start to type my password than there was before installing this updated SMC firmware.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
Mark me down as another person who this doesn't seem to be working for... I've reset the SMC, repaired disk permissions, repaired disk, al of that stuff and Power Nap still isn't working. There is also quite a bit more lag after opening the lid before I can start to type my password than there was before installing this updated SMC firmware.

did you reset your energy saving settings?? not sure how that changes anything but i followed the OP and it does work for me.

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Restoring SMC flash to original state (latest Apple version) FOUND!.

For those who were inflicted with case of accidental flash of SMC, we have found the solution to it. This was done collaboratively between Reason077 and myslef after several tries and it WORKED!.

As I have posted here, my original postulation of the solution was correct and when applied correctly, it flashes and the machine is in the fully operating state with fans working and SMCfanControl able to control their speed. Battery charging, keyboard light working, all on the MBP 5,1.

If you have another model, you will need to extract the smc file from the package and maybe hack the version number (Reason077 can help here if needed, takes a few mins only). Pls PM me if you really need to restore your MBP (maybe MB as well) to full operational state.

The idea was us to use the new Flasher and the original smc with faked version number. The end result is the real version number will show in the machine which was really intended, so the OS would not complain if it checks. Reason077 wrote a very nice Perl script that does the Blessing of the Flasher in order to Boot-Load the EFI writer with the right payload file. Download file is 3 posts below ... Good Luck.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

FabioR6

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
For those who were inflicted with case of accidental flash of SMC, we have found the solution to it. This was done collaboratively between Reason077 and myslef after several tries and it WORKED!.

As I have posted here, my original postulation of the solution was correct and when applied correctly, it flashes and the machine is in the fully operating state with fans working and SMCfanControl able to control their speed. Battery charging, keyboard light working, all on the MBP 5,1.

If you have another model, you will need to extract the smc file from the package and maybe hack the version number (Reason077 can help here if needed, takes a few mins only). Pls PM me if you really need to restore your MBP (maybe MB as well) to full operational state.

The idea was us to use the new Flasher and the original smc with faked version number. The end result is the real version number will show in the machine which was really intended, so the OS would not complain if it checks. Reason077 wrote a very nice Perl script that does the Blessing of the Flasher in order to Boot-Load the EFI writer with the right payload file. Pls PM me if you need the procedure and files.

Incredible! Here I have a macbook pro mid 2010 (MBP7, 1), but there is no SMC Firmware download on the Apple website.

Please, I really need your help because I am really stuck.

I hope you can help me fix this mac.:apple:

Thank you to you.

Ps: being new I have not access to the private message.

Toshibo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012

The idea was us to use the new Flasher and the original smc with faked version number. The end result is the real version number will show in the machine which was really intended, so the OS would not complain if it checks. Reason077 wrote a very nice Perl script that does the Blessing of the Flasher in order to Boot-Load the EFI writer with the right payload file. Pls PM me if you need the procedure and files.

I need this so bad! Thanks! Please u can post manual how to make modified smc firmware for MacBook aluminum (late 2008 V5,1) or if u can uploaded modified smc firmware.

Thanks!

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
I need this so bad! Thanks! Please u can post manual how to make modified smc firmware for MacBook aluminum (late 2008 V5,1) or if u can uploaded modified smc firmware.

Thanks!
Here. This file loads the MBP 5,1 SMC to version 1.33f8 factory setting. No guarantee for other models. Models with same chips-set might work. Best of luck. Remember, it is your own risk.

Attachments

• MBP51only.zip
    142.7 KB · Views: 319

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
Here. This file loads the MBP 5,1 SMC to version 1.33f8 factory setting. No guarantee for other models. Models with same chips-set might work. Best of luck. Remember, it is your own risk.

What about rolling a 2010 MacBook Air back to the factory SMC from the version posted by the OP?

Last edited:

Toshibo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012

Hello! Thank you so much for help!

This is ok

"Copy the 3 files into the /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates directory. You will get authentication for admin password. Enter the right password and it will copy it there."

But I don't know how to do this part

"Lauch Terminal and navigate to this directory.For those who wanted to get the space correctly, use "Firmware Updates" which is a string.
Do ls to see the files and pwd to ensure you are in the right directory.
Now, do chmod +x blessFirmware so it will execute.
Now run this script:
sudo perl ./blessFirmware"

And what is "chmod"? Command + X + blessFirmware? Using mouse?

Update

I did! Thanks sooooo much! My Mac is back!

Thanks!

Last edited:

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
What about rolling a 2010 MacBook Air back to the factory SMC from the version posted by the OP?

If you download my procedures then instead of using my m98.smc file, extract the one from SMCupdate of your model. Copy and paste it into the same diretory "From Show package Contents", then run the procedure, it will flash your correct SMC firmware. Just make very very sure, your smc version is exactly the one you wanted. Good Luck. :D:D:D

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
If you download my procedures then instead of using my m98.smc file, extract the one from SMCupdate of your model. Copy and paste it into the same diretory "From Show package Contents", then run the procedure, it will flash your correct SMC firmware. Just make very very sure, your smc version is exactly the one you wanted. Good Luck. :D:D:D

Thanks, but since there's no SMC download for a 2010 MacBook Air, I'll just stick with the one the OP posted.

Toshibo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012
will that work with my mbp 7.1 13" where I accidentily Upgraded to wrong smc? Bypassed it now and looking for a solution to 'downgrade'. Please please quick answer, I need my mbp tomorrow in university! Thanks!

Maybee one of you would be so kind to write an email to me with a brief guide and a modiefied smc or whatever! I know that this you have to do some work so it will be OK for to pay you a little amount if wanted! My email: jm.spam@me.com.

Please please please help me!!

P.s.: messages disabled for me cause I am a newbie..

what year is u macbook? and what is u macbook pro situation now?

sanctimon

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
A few questions

Hi all,

I have just updated my MacBook Air late 2010 11'' and powernap has now been activated.

I just have a few questions.

1. Obviously, the download of the updated firmware came from Apple. Why is it then, that their website does not list the late 2010 Air as one of the models that should support PowerNap?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5394

2. The latest firmware update officially available by Apple is this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1494

Is it exactly the same update as the one referenced above? If I have updated my firmware using the link that was referenced in the first post of this thread, do I also need to run this update?

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.