Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irfan22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Hey guys

Really enjoying my AIR but going from PC to Mac and especially with this huge trackpad i noticed that I use my left hand to use my trackpad even though I'm right handed with a mouse.

I am cross-dominant which is a form of ambidexterity where I use different hands for different tasks. Just sort of weird.

I also have noticed that scrolling using two fingers make my fingers fatigued. Not sure why. I started using my index and middle finger to scroll but changed to my middle finger and ring. Just feels uncomfortable regardless. Nothing too bad that I wouldnt be able to use my macbook.

Do most macbook owners use their right hand with the track pad?

Cool Story Bro

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
I do exactly the same thing. I'm left handed, and when I'm using a mouse or the Magic Trackpad while working at my desktop, I use my right hand. When I'm on my MBP, I use my left hand on the trackpad.

Nyvar

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Do most macbook owners use their right hand with the track pad?

Right handed, but 80% with right hand, 20% with left. I've always scrolled using middle/ring. Never occurred to me most people don't. Then again I've always used a mouse with my right hand with right click as primary.

EmaDaCuz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
Right handed, I use either hand, depending on the situation. For simple tasks, I found myself better using the left hand. If I need to be more accurate, though, I immediately switch to the right.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I use either hand with the trackpad. One of the reasons I bought a MBA is that I can't use a mouse for a long time. The gripping posture hurts my joints. However the MBA trackpad allows me to use either hand with a minimum of force.

What I end up normally doing is to type with the right and click/point with the left - normally with the thumb/first finger in the bottom left corner. If it's only click/point then it is with the right hand but in the centre/left side of the trackpad.

No problems with using multiple fingers, sometimes even on both hands at the same time (but mimicking the physical placement of a single hand).

I can't use the standalone trackpad as extra force is required (angle of the trackpad adds to the downward force needed).

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'm left handed and very left side dominant, but always use a trackpad with my right hand (whether it's on a laptop or separate).

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm left handed, use a mouse with right hand and both hands on trackpad.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I two-fifnger scrool with index/middle. It never fatigue, perhaps your "movement" can be improved, as fatiguing from this for no reason can be due to health problems.

I never leave my hand static and place movemente upon my fingers muscles/tendons. I keep my "entire hand" very still and move it only by the wrist, keeping the palm resting on the the macbook. Altough the movemnt is kinda circular/diagonal, OS X understan perfectly what I wan to do.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Left handed. Use my right hand on my mouse, both left and right hand on my MBA trackpad.

Throw left/catch right. Bowl left. Golf/hockey right, but hockey goal keeping left (due to my right hand being my glove hand). Tennis left. Soccer left. Pool left. Shoot rifle/shotgun right, handgun both (left is more comfortable, right is more accurate). Fine tasks (soldering, carving, etc.) left. Fork in left, knife in right. All mixed up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.