Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenzbud

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
So I have enjoyed my new iPad so far, but the one issue I can't seem to figure out is how to play fullscreen YouTube videos on my iPad. I want to be able to stream the audio to my living room speakers since I have an Airport Express hooked up to my home theater for when we watch a video on YouTube. I have attached screenshots on what the videos look like when I first load them, and after I hit the full screen icon. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,390
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,459

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Not sure how you are getting that Youtube interface. It doesn't show up like that on my iPad. I don't even have the same-looking button for expanding to fullscreen in iPad Safari. Mine shows either two diagonal arrows pointing outward or inward instead of the four.

Also, have you tried running the same video using the Youtube app? Check to see if you can full screen there.

kenzbud

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Not sure how you are getting that Youtube interface. It doesn't show up like that on my iPad. I don't even have the same-looking button for expanding to fullscreen in iPad Safari.

Also, have you tried running the same video using the Youtube app? Check to see if you can full screen there.

Can you post a screen shot of what YouTube looks like on your iPad when you go there? No problem with full screen using the YouTube app. I just would prefer to use the website if I can figure out my issue.
I attached a screen shot of the same video in fullscreen from YouTube app.

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 894

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I figured it out. I would guess when you loaded that video, you pulled it up in favorites or from a video list feature in YouTube. That changes the interface YouTube offers to more of a generic desktop version. Try entering the video name directly in the YouTube search field and then click on the video individually. See if your interface changes.

kenzbud

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
I figured it out. I would guess when you loaded that video, you pulled it up in favorites or from a video list feature in YouTube. That changes the interface YouTube offers to more of a generic desktop version. Try entering the video name directly in the YouTube search field and then click on the video individually. See if your interface changes.

I actually searched for that video. That is the YouTube interface it gives me if I search for a video or if I play one from favorites.

kenzbud

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
This is what I got when typing that same video into the YouTube search text bar and selecting it from the video list.

https://www.icloud.com/journal/#4;C...Fms9o8Ag;5D96CFE7-401F-4FBB-B019-20CB3F7C171A

Weird. I have never seen that YouTube interface since I have bought my iPad. Logged in or not I have always seen the interface that was in my screenshots. I wonder if one of us have a newer interface that YouTube is testing? I know when Netflix first came to Playstation 3, it tested different interfaces at random.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Well, I am in this.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

I've had it since they offered to allow you to play all videos as HTML 5, if it can.

However, I do get the interface like yours if I pull up the videos from favorites and the like. But individual searches, just clicking on video links, or pulling them up from subscriptions gives me the interface like I posted.

Brandonlmbrt

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
YouTube not fullscreen

Has anyone figured this problem out? It has also started doing this in both of my browsers also. (Safari, chrome) it's really annoying, and just wandered if there is any fix for this. Thank you.

kenzbud

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Has anyone figured this problem out? It has also started doing this in both of my browsers also. (Safari, chrome) it's really annoying, and just wandered if there is any fix for this. Thank you.

I haven't figured out a solution since I posted this yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they update the YouTube page so it fixes this problem.

Brandonlmbrt

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
I hope so also. I generally use my ipad for the videos so I don't have to breakout the MacBook, but this so annoying. I wish google would make these tests, or changes known. :confused:

SecureHobbes

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2012
Any fixes yet?

I have this same issue on my IPad. Videos always played in the normal fashion in full screen and now they don't.

Does anyone have a fix for this it's really annoying?

IndySat

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I have the exact same problem with my new iPad 3rd gen.

I hope this is just some glitch with the youtube mobile site

kenzbud

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Still the same for me. No change since I started topic.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
This is really frustrating. Especially considering that they are discontinuing the native YouTube app in Ios6. on top of that, I'm finding that clicking the title in embedded YouTube videos on blogs no longer takes you to the YouTube app or mobile site. Good luck favoriting, commenting on, or even just watching other videos from the same channel.

The iPad is rapidly being rendered useless for YouTube. Particularly disappointing, since the iPad is largely a media consumption device.

L

Lostramair

Bump(sorry if you are not supposed to bump)

I created account so I could post here. I have been searching (via google searches) since August trying to figure out what happened. The entire YouTube mobile interface has changed(sometime in August). This thread is the only mention of this that I have found, and it seems that only a few people have even noticed this. Along with the no full screen(actually more like a 3/4 screen now), I can't see or post comments now. When viewing a video in "full-screen" , the play bar(do not know what else to call it; the bar that allows you to fast-forward/rewind) keeps popping up. The new interface and issues seem to have started I think around the time that apple announced the YouTube app would not be on ios 6. I was thinking maybe they (edit: they=google/youtube) tried to make an "improvement" of their mobile site as a result, but it is not an improvement, and it does not even seem to be effecting every mobile user.

Edit: I do not use the native YouTube app primarily because of its inability to switch between resolutions, causing frequent freezing/lagging. I realize this may be due to a slow Internet/wifi, but at least on safari YouTube I can drop resolution and watch lag free. Also forgot to add new interface has no volume slider

I apologize if I have broken any forum rules anywhere, I have just been frustrated trying to find answers.

Last edited by a moderator:

kenzbud

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Are they supposed to make the new YouTube app a universal app eventually? I just want AirPlay capabilities back again, something the current YouTube site is able to provide me with. Funny thing is most embedded YouTube videos will let me watch in full screen with AirPlay option.

Thenuguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Figured a work around, just switch to desktop on the bottom to get diagonal arrows and video goes to fullscreen again.

L

Lostramair

Thanks but that didn't work for me. Full screen used to take up the entire screen(nothing in the screen but the video), now there is the tool bar on top and the ff/rw bar on the bottom. The bottom bar kind of minimizes, but is still taking up part of the screen, and periodically pops itself back up like it would do if you touched the screen. It used to be on the top when you touch the screen, now it is on the bottom, too close to the "full screen" quad arrow thing, so sometimes when you try to go full screen, it fast forwards the video to near the end(because of accidentally touching the ff/rw instead of full screen button). No more on screen volume control, so you have to use the iPad volume buttons, which temporarily leaves the volume icon thing on the screen, blocking your view, which is just annoying more than anything. I know YouTube put out a new app in the App Store, but I tried it and didn't think it was that great.

goldantlers

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
hi everyone,

i registered so i can post in this thread. i, like everyone else, can't see youtube videos full screen without the presence of the url search/toolbar/tab sections showing. (so aggravating....) EXCEPT for this:

http://biblioklept.org/?s=wild+strawberries

if you go to this site through your iPad and click Wild Strawberries in full screen...it DOES fill up the whole screen. (btw, amazing movie if you haven't seen it)

i saw it just yesterday thinking nothing of it. but when i went today to find another bergman film on youtube, it wouldn't go full screen. that's when i googled this issue and found this thread.

so, why can you access proper full screen on biblioklept's site...but not on Youtube?

goldantlers

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Figured a work around, just switch to desktop on the bottom to get diagonal arrows and video goes to fullscreen again.

Thank you, this actually worked! I went back just now, scrolled to the bottom, clicked desktop and the diagonal lines did make it fullscreen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.