Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Welp, I finally got a straight answer from Verizon Wireless (VZW) regarding whether or not they sell AppleCare+. (They do not.) I was curious though about value, as many people have complained that AppleCare+ is too expensive and is a rip-off, so here's a comparison of AppleCare+ to VZW's extended service options. (which are all managed by the 3rd party insurer Asurion), Best Buy's Geek Squad iPhone Protection, and SquareTrade's iPhone Protection.

..............................AppleCare+ Extended Coverage..............................
"Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and 90 days of telephone technical support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone (including battery replacement if depleted >50% from original condition) and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee plus applicable tax. With AppleCare+ for iPhone, Apple experts can help troubleshoot issues over the phone or at an Apple Retail Store. They’ll answer questions about iOS, Apple iPhone apps such as Mail, iMessage, and Calendar, and help you solve interconnectivity issues between your iPhone and Mac or PC. And if your iPhone needs service under the plan, Apple technical support representatives can even set up a repair during the same call."

How to get AppleCare+

• Add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone. (via AppleStore.com or Apple Retail) - $99
  • Buy it within 30 days of your iPhone purchase at Apple Retail or other retailer (requires a Genius Bar appointment, inspection of the iPhone & proof of purchase).
  • Each of the 2 incidents are subject to a $50 "service fee."

AppleCare+ TOTAL COST (for 24 months of coverage + 1 replacement = $150

............................VZW Extended Warranty Options............................
Option 1: Wireless Phone Protection
"Asurion Wireless Phone Protection Asurion, a third-party licensed insurance agency, offers insurance coverage for your wireless device and certain standard accessories. If you have Wireless Phone Protection and your device is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged (including liquid and physical damage), you may file your claim with the Asurion within 60 days of the incident and the device will be replaced upon claim approval."

Other Devices (I.e. iPhones)
$8.18 per month per covered device.
$169 non-refundable deductible (8GB, 16GB iPhone® 4 and 16GB iPhone® 4S) per approved claim
$199 non-refundable deductible (32GB iPhone® 4 and 32GB, 64GB iPhone® 4S) per approved claim
Equipment maximum limit: $1500 per completed claim.

VZW Phone Protection TOTAL COST (for 24 months plus 1 replacement = $365-$395
***Does cover lost/stolen phones.

Option 2: Total Equipment Coverage
"Offers combines the benefits of Asurion’s Wireless Phone Protection with the Verizon Wireless Extended Warranty program and is now enhanced with Asurion’s Mobile Recovery on compatible devices. If your device or covered accessories are lost, stolen, damaged or experience a mechanical or electrical defect after the manufacturer’s warranty expires, you are protected."

"Mobile Recovery is an application included with Total Equipment Coverage, at no additional cost (data charges may apply for the download and use of Mobile Recovery). Mobile Recovery allows you to:
  • Locate a lost device (location shown geographically on a map)
  • Sound a phone alarm to find a lost device
  • Remotely lock a device to secure your data
  • Remotely wipe a device’s contacts to protect your privacy"

$9.99 per month per covered device
$169 non-refundable deductible (8GB, 16GB iPhone® 4 and 16GB iPhone® 4S) per approved claim
$199 non-refundable deductible (32GB iPhone® 4 and 32GB, 64GB iPhone® 4S) per approved claim
2 replacements in a 12-month period with an equipment maximum of $1500 per claim (in New York, 2 claims per policy year)

VZW Phone Protection TOTAL COST (for 24 months plus 1 replacement = $409-$439
***Does cover lost/stolen phones

.........................BestBuy Geek Squad iPhone Protection.........................
"Breakdowns, malfunctions, normal wear and tear—we have you covered. We even cover accidents like drops and spills with our advanced plan. Above and beyond a typical warranty, we take care of all the gritty details with no service fees and full parts and labor. Also includes 24/7 support, one-time battery replacement, one-time accessory replacement, normal wear and tear, pixel repair, and power surge repair."

BestBuy Geek Squad TOTAL COST (for 24 months + multiple replacements) = $230

..............................SquareTrade iPhone Protection..............................

SquareTrade is a 3rd party warranty service for many popular electronics (including iPhones). It offers protection (I.e. replacement) for normal accidents and failures of displays, digitizers, power buttons, antenna/wifi, and dock connectors as well as accidents such as drops, spills and other water damage.

SquareTrade will replace an iPhone up to 4x, and damaged phones can either be sent in to SquareTrade for repair (which is guaranteed to have a 5-day turn-around or the warranty is free) or phones can be taken to an Apple Store for genius repair, and SquareTrade will reimburse the cost of the visit.

SquareTrade can be purchased from their website or from online retailers (such as Amazon). They offer extended warranties for iPhones newly purchased in the past 90 days from any Apple-authorized retailer. They also offer coverage for any previously purchased, fully functional iPhones, regardless of age, through their "Warranty for iPhone" iPhone app. *

There is a $50 deductible for all accidental damage claims, payable when the claim is filed.* Any claim that's not related to accidental damage doesn't have a deductible. *Additionally, the warranty can be cancelled at any time (full refund if within 30 days and pro-rated after that). the normal price for iPhone protection is $125 for 2 years & $155 for 3 years. That's $5.20/mo. and $4.30/mo., respectively. Finally, a $50 deductible applies to all claims. ***As of 09/10/2012, SquareTrade is offering a sale on ALL iPhone warranties, with all previous iPhone plans costing $99 ($4/mo.) and iPhone 5 warranty reservation costing $89 ($3.70/mo.) [Prices are for 2 year coverage]***

SquareTrade TOTAL COST (for 24 months + 1 "accidental" replacement) = $149
SquareTrade TOTAL COST (for 24 months + 1 defective iPhone replacement) = $100
(less w/coupons or w/3-year plan)

***Up to 3 more "accidental" replacements may be claimed for $50 each.

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

So that's it. I hope this helps you out. If you have any questions/updates or see any discrepancies, please let me know.

Enjoy!
Will

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Personally, if you are not going to get applecare, you should get insurance through Best Buy. $10 a month, unlimited replacements, no deductible. Also 1 replacement under applecare+ will cost you $150, but you lose that $100 whether you use it or not. If you do not get any insurance and need a new phone, it is $200, but you only pay if you need to :)

another perk to applecare+ is that you can walk in with a broken phone and 5 minutes later walk out with a new one....typically with carriers and best buy, there is a lay over period

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
If you do not get any insurance and need a new phone, it is $200, but you only pay if you need to :)

How is it only $200 to replace one's iPhone? Where's the fine print for that one? I just figured if one wasn't under warranty they'd be S.O.L. and have to pay full price.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Applecare +. Verizon will do everything in their power not to fix a phone under extended warranty and will try to shuffle you off to insurance so that they get the deductible. That's been my experience with 5 lines over 15 years.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
How is it only $200 to replace one's iPhone? Where's the fine print for that one? I just figured if one wasn't under warranty they'd be S.O.L. and have to pay full price.

So long as you have a phone to hand them, no matter the condition, they'll sell you a refurb for $200.

To me, that's worth the risk.

----------

Personally, if you are not going to get applecare, you should get insurance through Best Buy. $10 a month, unlimited replacements, no deductible. Also 1 replacement under applecare+ will cost you $150, but you lose that $100 whether you use it or not. If you do not get any insurance and need a new phone, it is $200, but you only pay if you need to :)

another perk to applecare+ is that you can walk in with a broken phone and 5 minutes later walk out with a new one....typically with carriers and best buy, there is a lay over period

Right...so instead of spending the $100 on AppleCare+ and hope I'll somehow destroy my phone so it is worth it, I'd rathe hope I dont destroy my phone and risk only paying $50 more if it's needed.

Of course, if you are a person who constantly drops or otherwise destroys their equipment, it might be worth it...although it'd still be cheaper to just get a good, sturdy case and not get it damaged.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Right...so instead of spending the $100 on AppleCare+ and hope I'll somehow destroy my phone so it is worth it, I'd rathe hope I dont destroy my phone and risk only paying $50 more if it's needed.

"They" being Apple or Verizon?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So long as you have a phone to hand them, no matter the condition, they'll sell you a refurb for $200.

To me, that's worth the risk.

----------

Of course, if you are a person who constantly drops or otherwise destroys their equipment, it might be worth it...although it'd still be cheaper to just get a good, sturdy case and not get it damaged.

exactly. Also, the only way they will turn you down is if you have tampered with the insides...ie adding those LED lights or replacing a battery on your own. Then they basically tell you to kick dirt.

----------

"They" being Apple or Verizon?

they being apple. Whether you are in the 1 year warranty period or even outside of it, they offer you an out of warranty new phone for $149 for the iPhone 4 and $199 for the 4S...really makes applecare less appealing. Like i posted earlier, you are better off just saving the $100 on applecare and hope your phone doesn't break, and if it does know that for only $50 more (since applecare still has a deductible of $50) you can get a new phone.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
"They" being apple. Whether you are in the 1 year warranty period or even outside of it, they offer you an out of warranty new phone for $149 for the iPhone 4 and $199 for the 4S...really makes AppleCare+ less appealing. Like i posted earlier, you are better off just saving the $100 on applecare and hope your phone doesn't break, and if it does know that for only $50 more (since applecare still has a deductible of $50) you can get a new phone.

That's a great point to bring up, and one I hadn't considered. Thanks for the info!

pblakk

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
Those Verizon/Asurion insurance replacement deductible numbers are way off: Here's the link, see under "Other Devices" where it specifies iPhone deductibles -

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/features/calling_features/equipment_protection.html

Other Devices

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Those Verizon/Asurion insurance replacement deductible numbers are way off: Here's the link, see under "Other Devices" where it specifies iPhone deductibles

Yikes; you're right. Thanks for pointing that our and I'll update my numbers.

-Will

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Best buy is what I have because there is no deductible. But they do not cover lost/stolen phones like the others.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I bought Applecare+. I've already used it once when I broke the screen.(left it on my car, didn't survive that fall). $50 and two days later I had a new one. I've dealt with Asurion before and will never do it again. When I bought Applecare+ I didn't know Apple did $200 replacements but I also don't have a local Apple store either, don't know if they do it over the phone or not considering they can't see what your turning in.

JupiterDoc

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2012
Welp, I finally got a straight answer from Verizon Wireless (VZW) regarding whether or not they sell AppleCare+. I had been told by a rep that they do, but I couldn't find it anywhere on their website. I finally was told by more than one rep that 100% certainly they do not. I was curious though about value, as many people have complained that AppleCare+ is too expensive and is a rip-off, so here's a comparison of AppleCare+ to VZW's extended service options. (which are all managed by the 3rd party insurer Asurion.)

AppleCare+
"Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and 90 days of telephone technical support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee plus applicable tax. With AppleCare+ for iPhone, Apple experts can help troubleshoot issues over the phone or at an Apple Retail Store. They’ll answer questions about iOS, Apple iPhone apps such as Mail, iMessage, and Calendar, and help you solve interconnectivity issues between your iPhone and Mac or PC. And if your iPhone needs service under the plan, Apple technical support representatives can even set up a repair during the same call."

How to get AppleCare+

- Add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone. (via AppleStore.com or Apple Retail)
- Buy it within 30 days of your iPhone purchase at Apple Retail or other retailer (requires a Genius Bar appointment, inspection of the iPhone & proof of purchase).

AppleCare+ TOTAL COST (for 24 months of coverage + 1 replacement = $150

VZW Extended Warranty Options
Option 1: Wireless Phone Protection
"Asurion Wireless Phone Protection Asurion, a third-party licensed insurance agency, offers insurance coverage for your wireless device and certain standard accessories. If you have Wireless Phone Protection and your device is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged (including liquid and physical damage), you may file your claim with the Asurion within 60 days of the incident and the device will be replaced upon claim approval."

$8.18per month per covered device.
Equipment maximum limit: $1500 per completed claim.

VZW Phone Protection TOTAL COST (for 24 months plus 1 replacement = $365-$395

Option 2: Total Equipment Coverage
"Offers combines the benefits of Asurion’s Wireless Phone Protection with the Verizon Wireless Extended Warranty program and is now enhanced with Asurion’s Mobile Recovery on compatible devices. If your device or covered accessories are lost, stolen, damaged or experience a mechanical or electrical defect after the manufacturer’s warranty expires, you are protected."

"Mobile Recovery is an application included with Total Equipment Coverage, at no additional cost (data charges may apply for the download and use of Mobile Recovery). Mobile Recovery allows you to:
- Locate a lost device (location shown geographically on a map)
- Sound a phone alarm to find a lost device
- Remotely lock a device to secure your data
- Remotely wipe a device’s contacts to protect your privacy"

2 replacements in a 12-month period with an equipment maximum of $1500 per claim (in New York, 2 claims per policy year)

VZW Phone Protection TOTAL COST (for 24 months plus 1 replacement = $409-$439

BestBuy Geek Squad iPhone Protection
"Breakdowns, malfunctions, normal wear and tear—we have you covered. We even cover accidents like drops and spills with our advanced plan. Above and beyond a typical warranty, we take care of all the gritty details with no service fees and full parts and labor. Also includes 24/7 support, one-time battery replacement, one-time accessory replacement, normal wear and tear, pixel repair, and power surge repair."

BestBuy Geek Squad iPhone Protection TOTAL COST (for 24 months + multiple replacements) = $230

So that's it. Pretty easy to see where the (lack of) value is.

Enjoy!
Will

AppleCarePlus is the best. I don't understand why Apple doesn't make it mandatory?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I bought Applecare+. I've already used it once when I broke the screen.(left it on my car, didn't survive that fall). $50 and two days later I had a new one. I've dealt with Asurion before and will never do it again. When I bought Applecare+ I didn't know Apple did $200 replacements but I also don't have a local Apple store either, don't know if they do it over the phone or not considering they can't see what your turning in.

ahh...when i first started reading your post, I was thinking "Two days Later!!!", but then i saw you do not have an apple store close to you.

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Thanks for the info and comparison. Looks like I have been overpaying via asurion. However, I have nev had a problem with them replacing a damaged phone. Just recently had to replace my daughters iPhone. No hassles.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I've had 3 iPhones in 5 years, haven't paid a penny for warranties or AppleCare and I've spent exactly $199 on 1 replacement phone when I accidentally washed my 3GS (wife didn't know it was still in my pants pocket.) Think I'll keep taking my chances.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
I have Applecare + - bought it the same time as I bought my 4S.

Now here's a question for those who have used Applecare+: say you break your device after a year and a half and you pay the $50 for a new one. Does your Applecare+ still remain in effect for just 6 months, or, because the new phone comes with a 1 year warranty, does it extend for another year?

And here's one more: say you use up both replacements within the two year time frame. Can you add Applecare+ with the second replacement?

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Best buy is what I have because there is no deductible. But they do not cover lost/stolen phones like the others.

Do NOT make this mistake. Be very clear: Applecare + does NOT cover lost or stolen phones. Take it from me. If you don't have some kind of equipment to turn in, you get exactly zero.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Do NOT make this mistake. Be very clear: Applecare + does NOT cover lost or stolen phones. Take it from me. If you don't have some kind of equipment to turn in, you get exactly zero.

Which is kinda how it should be...otherwise you would have an insane amount of insurance fraud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.