Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I have Applecare + - bought it the same time as I bought my 4S.

Now here's a question for those who have used Applecare+: say you break your device after a year and a half and you pay the $50 for a new one. Does your Applecare+ still remain in effect for just 6 months, or, because the new phone comes with a 1 year warranty, does it extend for another year?

And here's one more: say you use up both replacements within the two year time frame. Can you add Applecare+ with the second replacement?

You probably will get a refurbished iphone, not new after 1 1/2 years of usage and no, the applecare + will only be in effect for the remaining 6 months. This question was brought up some time ago. If in doubt call Apple right now. ;)

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf Apple warranty and applecare +

"When Coverage Begins and Ends.

Coverage begins when you purchase the Plan. Coverage ends twenty-four (24) months from the date of
retail purchase of your original iPhone (“Plan Term”). Your Plan Confirmation will be provided to you at
or about the time of purchase or sent to you automatically thereafter. The terms of this Plan, the original
sales receipt for your Plan and the Plan Confirmation are each part of your service contract. To obtain a
copy of your Plan Confirmation, follow the instructions and enter your iPhone's serial number at
You can find the price of the Plan on the original sales receipt.

The hardware service, accidental damage from handling coverage and technical support coverage which
the Plan provides is additional to the coverage which the manufacturer’s hardware warranty and
complimentary technical support provide."

----------
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8
I added coverage on my homeowners policy, just $20 bucks a year.
For breakage only? Or for lost/stolen? Or for both?

My insurance company (USAA) said they would not insure a smartphone... Period

Last edited:

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I bought AppleCare on my iPhone 3G... I dropped it two months later and got a new one at upgrade price (short version, I got lied to by a rep on the phone, so a manager took care of me at my local store)... My AppleCare plan... GONE.

Never again. I will pay the extra $50 if the worst should happen. I have had 6 iPhones (two 3G's obviously) and I only broke one of them.

Assuming AppleCare + existed from the beginning... I would have spent $650 on warranties. Instead, I spent $200 getting a new phone... ($270 if you want to get technical and count the money I wasted on my that AppleCare plan for my first 3G)

pblakk

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012

I asked my insurance agent about this and he said they USED to have coverage for the iphone, then discontinued the extra rider policy. State Farm. Farmers also does not cover iphones, I asked another agent about this recently.

----------

Who's your insurance company?

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Welp, I finally got a straight answer from Verizon Wireless (VZW) regarding whether or not they sell AppleCare+. I had been told by a rep that they do, but I couldn't find it anywhere on their website. I finally was told by more than one rep that 100% certainly they do not. I was curious though about value, as many people have complained that AppleCare+ is too expensive and is a rip-off, so here's a comparison of AppleCare+ to VZW's extended service options. (which are all managed by the 3rd party insurer Asurion.)

AppleCare+
"Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and 90 days of telephone technical support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee plus applicable tax. With AppleCare+ for iPhone, Apple experts can help troubleshoot issues over the phone or at an Apple Retail Store. They’ll answer questions about iOS, Apple iPhone apps such as Mail, iMessage, and Calendar, and help you solve interconnectivity issues between your iPhone and Mac or PC. And if your iPhone needs service under the plan, Apple technical support representatives can even set up a repair during the same call."

How to get AppleCare+

- Add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone. (via AppleStore.com or Apple Retail) - $99
- Buy it within 30 days of your iPhone purchase at Apple Retail or other retailer (requires a Genius Bar appointment, inspection of the iPhone & proof of purchase).

AppleCare+ TOTAL COST (for 24 months of coverage + 1 replacement = $150

VZW Extended Warranty Options
Option 1: Wireless Phone Protection
"Asurion Wireless Phone Protection Asurion, a third-party licensed insurance agency, offers insurance coverage for your wireless device and certain standard accessories. If you have Wireless Phone Protection and your device is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged (including liquid and physical damage), you may file your claim with the Asurion within 60 days of the incident and the device will be replaced upon claim approval."

Other Devices (I.e. iPhones)
$8.18 per month per covered device.
$169 non-refundable deductible (8GB, 16GB iPhone® 4 and 16GB iPhone® 4S) per approved claim
$199 non-refundable deductible (32GB iPhone® 4 and 32GB, 64GB iPhone® 4S) per approved claim
Equipment maximum limit: $1500 per completed claim.

VZW Phone Protection TOTAL COST (for 24 months plus 1 replacement = $365-$395

Option 2: Total Equipment Coverage
"Offers combines the benefits of Asurion’s Wireless Phone Protection with the Verizon Wireless Extended Warranty program and is now enhanced with Asurion’s Mobile Recovery on compatible devices. If your device or covered accessories are lost, stolen, damaged or experience a mechanical or electrical defect after the manufacturer’s warranty expires, you are protected."

"Mobile Recovery is an application included with Total Equipment Coverage, at no additional cost (data charges may apply for the download and use of Mobile Recovery). Mobile Recovery allows you to:
- Locate a lost device (location shown geographically on a map)
- Sound a phone alarm to find a lost device
- Remotely lock a device to secure your data
- Remotely wipe a device’s contacts to protect your privacy"

Other Devices (I.e. iPhones)
$9.99 per month per covered device
$169 non-refundable deductible (8GB, 16GB iPhone® 4 and 16GB iPhone® 4S) per approved claim
$199 non-refundable deductible (32GB iPhone® 4 and 32GB, 64GB iPhone® 4S) per approved claim
2 replacements in a 12-month period with an equipment maximum of $1500 per claim (in New York, 2 claims per policy year)

VZW Phone Protection TOTAL COST (for 24 months plus 1 replacement = $409-$439

BestBuy Geek Squad iPhone Protection
"Breakdowns, malfunctions, normal wear and tear—we have you covered. We even cover accidents like drops and spills with our advanced plan. Above and beyond a typical warranty, we take care of all the gritty details with no service fees and full parts and labor. Also includes 24/7 support, one-time battery replacement, one-time accessory replacement, normal wear and tear, pixel repair, and power surge repair."

BestBuy Geek Squad iPhone Protection TOTAL COST (for 24 months + multiple replacements) = $230

So that's it. Pretty easy to see where the (lack of) value is.

Enjoy!
Will

The only thing I can tell you is: DO NOT GO WITH THE GEEK SQUAD!

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I asked my insurance agent about this and he said they USED to have coverage for the iphone, then discontinued the extra rider policy. State Farm. Farmers also does not cover iphones, I asked another agent about this recently.

----------

Who's your insurance company?

My current homeowners is through American Fire and Casualty Company

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I am not understanding. If I do not have AppleCare and I am out of warranty. Apple will sell me an iPhone for only 200$?? Not the full price? I must be reading these posts wrong.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I am not understanding. If I do not have AppleCare and I am out of warranty. Apple will sell me an iPhone for only 200$?? Not the full price? I must be reading these posts wrong.

You are reading right. If you can bring in "most" of a broken phone, they will give you an identical model refub for $199. I ran mine through the washing machine by accident. Got a "new" one for $199 the next morning.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
You are reading right. If you can bring in "most" of a broken phone, they will give you an identical model refub for $199. I ran mine through the washing machine by accident. Got a "new" one for $199 the next morning.

Wow, that's not half bad. Thanks for the response. I am trying to decide on apple care for the iPhone 5. I guess the benefit would be if something went wrong that second year you would still have warranty coverage.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Wow, that's not half bad. Thanks for the response. I am trying to decide on apple care for the iPhone 5. I guess the benefit would be if something went wrong that second year you would still have warranty coverage.

Yup, with (comparative) drawback being that it doesn't cover lost/stolen phones as some others do, but if you have some semblance of your phone left, you can almost always swap it out.

Kelly682

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
East Coast
Okay, so I plan on buying the new iPhone. I was looking at getting applecare+, after reading this thread, seems like I'd actually be losing out on $50.

From the way I understand it, I pay $99 for applecare. Say my future iPhone breaks, and I would have to pay $150 for a replacement (refurbished). That would mean I've so far spent approximately $250. Then I heard that if someone doesn't have applecare and their iPhone breaks, it costs $200 for a replacement (refurbished).

Why would I get applecare if it ends up costing me more, with the same result??

Am I understanding this correctly? Is there something I'm missing?? Seems like its pointless to get applecare+ and just save up $200 incase my phone ever breaks. Easy enough...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

they will sell you the same model refurb for $199. if you have a 4 now you won't get a 4S for $199.

they take the old one and scavenge parts for more refurbs. they are usually very lenient in their policies in the first few months of a new product launch because they need refurbs

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Okay, so I plan on buying the new iPhone. I was looking at getting applecare+....

From the way I understand it, I pay $99 for applecare. Say my future iPhone breaks, and I would have to pay $150 for a replacement (refurbished). That would mean I've so far spent approximately $250. Then I heard that if someone doesn't have applecare and their iPhone breaks, it costs $200 for a replacement (refurbished)....

No, you're not reading it correctly. Perhaps my OP should be clearer.

AppleCare+ costs $99 for 2 years of phone & technical support. In addition to covering your phone for defects & problems for 2 years, AC+ covers you for incidents of accidental damage (up to 2 @ $50 a piece).

This means that if you buy AppleCare+ and drop your phone (completely destroying the front screen), you're out a total of $150 ($100 for AC+ & $50 for the "service fee"). If you do this a second time, you're out a grand total of $200 ($99 + $50 + $50).

If you don't have AC+ and you accidentally drop your phone (and destroy the screen) you can take your phone into Apple & drop $200. If it happens again, you drop another $200 bringing your grand total to $400.

Comprendas, amiga?

Last edited:

Kelly682

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
East Coast
No, you're not reading it correctly. Perhaps my OP should be clearer.

AppleCare+ costs $99 for 2 years of phone & technical support. In addition to covering your phone for defects & problems for 2 years, AC+ covers you for incidents of accidental damage (up to 2 @ $50 a piece).

This means that if you buy AppleCare+ and drop your phone (completely destroying the front screen), you're out a total of $150 ($100 for AC+ & $50 for the "service fee"). If you do this a second time, you're out a grand total of $200 ($99 + $50 + $50).

If you don't have AC+ and you accidentally drop your phone (and destroy the screen) you can take your phone into Apple & drop $200. If it happens again, you drop another $200 bringing your grand total to $400.

Comprendas, amiga?

Gotcha. Gracias. ;)

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Now I just have to decide between this and best buy. 15 a month is 180 a year. With no deductibile.

So one replacement in a year would be 180$.

Does anyone know if you can walk in a best buy and walk out with a phone?

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
May wanna update the SquareTrade to 4 replacements.

Not to mention the $35 coupon right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.