Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I will end up going to see all three, and I like the idea of a longer + more true to the book story. But I don't like the idea of 3 cinema tickets and a long wait in-between.

Just like the final HP film, they want but really don't need the extra cash.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I will end up going to see all three, and I like the idea of a longer + more true to the book story. But I don't like the idea of 3 cinema tickets and a long wait in-between.

Just like the final HP film, they want but really don't need the extra cash.

Word has it that they had to use background info not included in the book to create enough content for 3 movies. For fans who have read the book think about this, where will they split the story? I feel very confident this story could have been told in 2 movies.

The following might be considered spoiler material. Proceed with caution. ;)

1. Up to where Bilbo finds the ring.
2. Beorn's Farm and Spiders
3. Wood Elves and the Dragon.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For Lord of the Rings/Hobbit Fans, shocking news. They are turning The Hobbit into a trilogy! Un-fracking believable. I don't care how good it is, that's BS.

Wired.com article

I have to say that I agree with you. Completely. Whatever about The Lord of the Rings - which was a massive tome, with an epic and exceptionally detailed world depicted in the books - which, as such, merited a movie adaptation which took the form of a trilogy, I cannot for the life of me see what is in The Hobbit (an utterly charming book) to fill two long movies, let alone three.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The Lord of the Rings was a trilogy of books so it makes sense to make a trilogy of movies. I can see the Hobbit as 2 movies, 3 seems like a stretch.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I'm guessing they don't have it all filmed, but they should just do it all and then release it on a Green Day Uno/Dos/Tre schedule (September/November/January).

Every two months (or a movie maybe three max) is more than enough to have people to see it - those that rush right away and those that slack and wait for the theaters to be less crowded or whatever.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
The name of the first film will remain The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The name of the second film may change. As for the newly announced film, it’s untitled at the moment. According to Slashfilm, Warner Bros. has registered some domains that suggest possible titles: Riddles in the Dark, and the Desolation of Smaug.

Other ideas? I found some fun ones on Facebook:

Bringing Up Bilbo
Tyler Perry’s The Hobbit
50 Shades of Gandalf the Grey
Dude, Where’s My Ring?
Raging Bilbo
Raiders of the Lost Arkenstone
The Sting

and my favorite suggestion (also via Facebook):

“If they do change the name of the 2nd film, it can only be The Hobbit 2: Electric Boogaloo.”

(Thank you, Rebecca Perry)

:D

Electric Boogaloo was hands down the best!

The Smeagol Who Shagged Me
Hobbit 2: Judgement Day

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
Should Sir Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh have dipped into the trove of Hobbit lore that was contained in The Silmarillion then I can see more than just a three episode Hobbit The Sillmarillion was compiled by Christopher Tolkien from the mountain of annotated pre history of the fables.

When the movies are released, then it will be up to each whether to see them or not.

KGB:cool:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Should Sir Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh have dipped into the trove of Hobbit lore that was contained in The Silmarillion then I can see more than just a three episode Hobbit The Sillmarillion was compiled by Christopher Tolkien from the mountain of annotated pre history of the fables.

When the movies are released, then it will be up to each whether to see them or not.

KGB:cool:

You are saying it could be possible that the story does not start with an "unexpected party?" Or maybe it starts there and then flashes all over the place. ;)

Last edited:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
It's fine as long as the total release schedule doesn't exceed 18 months. Any attempts to make it longer will bring out the Balrog in me.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I believe it will be fine; the book itself is short, but there is a lot of annotations and things that are just mentioned in the book that on video can take more time. I do believe the movies will be shorter, prob. 2-2.5hrs each.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Just wait til they realise that they can make even more money if they split it into 4 :p

Seriously though, If they squeezed LOTR into 3, I'm sure 2 is more than enough for The Hobbit. There's only so far you can split up a single story before you break the flow of it. I'm sure I'll watch all 3, but it is a little ridiculous.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
say what you want about this just being a money grab, but my felling...the more time i get to spend in middle earth the better :)

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Should have seen this coming. It's a trend they started with the last Harry Potter. Milk an adaptation of a popular franchise for all it's worth.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For anyone who has seen it, where does the story stop for this installment? Thanks!

From this wiki link, can I assume the story stops before Beorn's Farm?

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Saw this last night.

The story stops with the birds dropping them off on the mountain top and them looking onto the "loan mountain where the dragon is sleeping"...... The final scene is the dragon opening his eye due to the banging of a nut by a bird at the walls of the dwarf city.

There is actually quite a lot of action in the movie, I was surprised!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Saw this last night.

The story stops with the birds dropping them off on the mountain top and them looking onto the "loan mountain where the dragon is sleeping"...... The final scene is the dragon opening his eye due to the banging of a nut by a bird at the walls of the dwarf city.

There is actually quite a lot of action in the movie, I was surprised!

Thanks! I'm leaning towards renting it or just buying it. For anyone foggy on the sequence of events, see this SparkNotes link. Keep in mind they have added bunches to the original book story, in many cases based on references made in the story.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Thanks! I'm leaning towards renting it or just buying it. For anyone foggy on the sequence of events, see this SparkNotes link. Keep in mind they have added bunches to the original book story, in many cases based on references made in the story.
I'm gonna see it on theaters just because I want to see how 3D looks in 48FPS, besides not wanting to wait for BR release.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would consider two movies to be more realistic but three seems lame. I wish they would just stick to the book.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I would consider two movies to be more realistic but three seems lame. I wish they would just stick to the book.

Well to be fair usually things are cut for time in a movie adaptation. In theory stretching it out allows for a more faithful adaptation.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I have not read the hobbit, but I did read "Lord of The Rings" a long time ago, but was pleasantly surprised at how fast the 2 hours and 50 minutes went by. I thought it was paced fairly well, with one or two spots they could of cut 10 minutes or so, but I liked it.

Can't wait to see the rest of the series either way, two or three I am down for it all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.