Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I simply wanted the Library folder to be displayed within the Go menu like every other folder does.
When I hold down the Option key inside the Go menu, there it is (Library) until I release the Option key, then poof, it's gone.
It's obviously not a big ask, it works like a gem in Path Finder.
And yes, it does unhide it from my users/myname folder but that's not what
I was after.

Then you're going to be disappointed, because nothing does what you're looking for. The command that was posted was to unhide it, not make it appear in the Go menu. The only way to do that is to hold the option key.

jW

tron2005

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Planet Earth
Then you're going to be disappointed, because nothing does what you're looking for. The command that was posted was to unhide it, not make it appear in the Go menu. The only way to do that is to hold the option key.

jW

Yup ok, so nothing from within the standard Finder app,
but for those who want to see their Library folder inside the Go menu permanently then Path Finder is the answer they're looking for. :cool:

My apologies to all for not being clear about this (and I wonder how many others expected to see their Library folder in the Go menu after they invoked the Terminal command "chflags nohidden ~/Library/").

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Yeah I guess I do tend to get a tad hot under the collar when things don't
go according to plan. I sometimes feel I should change my surname to
Murphy because if something ain't gonna go right then it ain't gonna go
right for me. :eek:

Ok here we go...

View attachment 354042

BTW, I really do like Path Finder (almost as good as Windows Explorer)... :p
Nah just joking, actually it's waaaaay heaps better and well worth the 40 bucks. :D

You realize that you must replace ~ with your actual home folder's name, right?

In other words, chflags nohidden /Users/tron2005/Library/

or just type chflags nohidden[space] and drag-and-drop the library folder (or any other folder for that matter) into terminal and it will populate the location for you.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You realize that you must replace ~ with your actual home folder's name, right?

In other words, chflags nohidden /Users/tron2005/Library/
No, you don't. You can use ~/Library and it will know it's the Library folder for the user you're currently logged in as.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Ah, didn't know that. Oh well you learn something new every day. :D

Anyway, for the external drive, might be easier to simply drag-and-drop the folder into terminal and it'll populate it exactly with the correct location.

loicg

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Yes, I've heard all of these steps before.

But I need to see the library folder for the EXTERNAL DRIVE. Not the internal one.

Hi guys (my first message here),

For what it's worth, I spent more than one hour also trying to read on a bootable external drive (I didn't want to boot with it as I changed my computer), and also on time machine drive (external) the content of the user library, with no luck.

I tried everything this post mentioned, also the 19 ways said in the link. I really thought it didn't exist anymore... I hardly managed with the terminal (I'm not clever with that), and found out it was still there.

Downloaded Finder Path (30 free trial so why not), and tatata, I see it and can recover my mobilesync stuff.

I thought I should share it, was already hard to find a thread that was talking about my frustration.

(I love my new imac.)

Thanks guys for this active forum!

spirochete

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2003
London England
User library on external drive......

Just a follow-up on this thread in case someone comes up against the same problem with 10.7 or 10.8:-

Like others I could NOT get the User Library to unhide on the old (external) drive

IF (as I was), you are trying to get info across from the user library on an 'iffy' drive ( i.e. your boot drive went bad, was replaced by a new one and you're trying to get back what you can from the old):-

Do note that in some cases The Finder / Disk Utility WILL let you see the drive even though it can't be repaired. In such cases the drive will be read-only, So:-

Go Menu > Go To Folder will normally get you in with a pathway of something typically like this:

/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/UserName/Library/

(where Macintosh HD is the actual name of your old drive - i.e. whatever you called it)

Note: Probably a good idea to rename your working boot drive something different (in this case, something other than Macintosh HD) while doing this.

You should now see the old user Library; Create a folder on the Desktop and copy/dump everything into it.

Copy required bits into the working User Library at your leisure.

Rgds,

Spiro'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.