Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

VMware today announced the immediate availability of VMware Fusion 5, the latest version of the company's virtualization software that allows users to run Windows and other operating systems virtualized alongside their native OS X operating systems. Optimized for both OS X Mountain Lion and Windows 8, Fusion 5 contains over 70 new features.
- Designed for Mountain Lion - Run Windows on Mountain Lion and search Windows programs in Launchpad, use "AirPlay Mirroring" to stream Mac and Windows applications on an HDTV and get VMware Fusion notifications in Mountain Lion's notification center.

- Windows 8 Optimization - VMware Fusion 5 supports Windows 8 standard, pro and enterprise editions so consumers can optimize the new Windows 8 "Metro" environment directly on a Mac.

- Enhanced Mac Support - Support for the latest Mac technologies include compatibility with Mountain Lion, retina display optimization, USB 3 connectivity, and improved support for large memory Macs.

- Next Generation Performance - Performance enhancements include up to 40% faster general performance speeds compared to the previous version of the product, improved power management for longer battery life and faster 3D graphics.

- Additional Functionalities - New, powerful ways to experience Windows on a Mac are available through an updated virtual machine library that enables seamless transitions between multiple operating systems, one click snapshots with improved graphical appearance, a brand new graphics driver for Linux 3D desktops, and a new embedded learning center for immediate support.
vmware_fusion_5.jpg
Fusion 5 is priced at $49.99 for the standard version, with an enhanced Professional version available for $99.99. Users who purchased Fusion 4 on or after July 25 can receive a free upgrade to the new version.

VMware's major competitor in the virtualization market is Parallels, which is also preparing to launch an updated version of its own software. Parallels has yet to share full details on its forthcoming Parallels 8, but does note that it will debut on September 4 and customers who purchase now will receive a free upgrade to the new version when it launches.

Article Link: VMware Launches 'Fusion 5' Virtualization Software, Parallels 8 Coming September 4

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Funny to see the Internet Explorer icon in the dock. The price is reasonable too as far as I can judge from the new features.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Ah, crap. I bought an update to Parallels 7 a couple of days ago, since v6 was apparently incompatible with Mountain Lion, so I'm thinking that probably means I won't get the upgrade to Parallels 8.

babakonish

Suspended
Aug 22, 2012
Glad to see more retina-aware apps coming for Apple's new vision of the future, i.e. retina displays. Excellent work!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Ah, crap. I bought an update to Parallels 7 a couple of days ago, since v6 was apparently incompatible with Mountain Lion, so I'm thinking that probably means I won't get the upgrade to Parallels 8.

If you bought Parallels 7 on or after July 25th, you'll get a free update to Parallels 8.

Steelgrave

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
- Enhanced Mac Support - Support for the latest Mac technologies include compatibility with Mountain Lion, retina display optimization, USB 3 connectivity, and improved support for large memory Macs.

So does this mean we can finally assign more than 8GB ram to a VM?

TiZon

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
This is the most awesome feature imo:

jSbri.png

You can finally create virtual networks!

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
For anyone that's used this before, how well does it run? I always wondered if you ran something like this all the programs would run a lot slower than they would on an actual PC machine.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
VMWare needs a cheaper slimmed down version of Fusion for those of us who DON'T give a crap about all the Windows integration.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Users who purchased Fusion 4 on or after July 25 can receive a free upgrade to the new version.
So I can go out and buy Fusion 4 for cheaper (I'd imagine it'd go down in price?) and get a free upgrade?

EDIT - Mainly just curious. Virtualbox has served my needs just fine to be honest.

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Looks like there is no reduced upgrade price for Fusion 4 to Fusion 5. But there is a discounted upgrade for Fusion 4 to Fusion Pro 5 at £34/$50.

From a quick look Fusion Pro 5 seems to have taken some of the features from Workstation. A better network editor and VMware Player for example.

Not sure it's worth rushing to purchase it, VMware have done some cheap offers before when Parallels have released new versions.

They've released Workstation 9 as well. Looks like they may have rushed these releases a bit as their website is all over the place at present - maybe there will be a reduced upgrade price and they just haven't added it yet.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
VMware Fusion 4 could not handle partitions on a hard drive if you wanted a second drive. Just a whole disk and even that was a pain to do requiring some work in CLI. Hopefully version 5 of Fusion fixes this. I couldn't be bothered so I switched to Parallels 7 which has no such limitations.

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
What's Windows Vista?

I wish I was so lucky, my work is still on Windows Vista. I have to restart my computer twice a day just so I can do my job.

I thought Fusion 4 was good but I only ever used it in the trail period. I haven't had much use for Windows since I graduated College.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm not sure how sustainable a business model it is for VMWare and Parallels to release minor updates for $49 every year. It would be nice if Fusion 5 and Parallels 8 were instead released as "4.2" and "7.1" at no charge for existing Fusion 4.1 and Parallels 7 owners. Upgrading an OS every year is one thing if it is going to be $20, but $49 is a bit much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.