Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abanar

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
Thats the full download of Mountain Lion as if you were doing a new install, for some reason it is showing on the update screen. If you wait for it to finish checking for updates or click check for updates again the actual update should appear in a separate box at the top.

The problem is that the full download is still showing up as an update after I install 10.8.1...so now the App Store has a constant 1 in the corner and is saying that I need to update the OS by installing the entire thing.

That kinda defeats the purpose of having small footprint updates and in using the App Store to update the system.:mad:

Tearabite

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
So.California
Damn! It doesn't fix any of the problems I had after my switch to ML!

1. The icons now load on the right side of the screen instead of the left where they are supposed to.
2. The Recycle Bin has been renamed "Trash"
3. I don't get any of those things from friends now that I used to get. What were they called.....viruses? I think that's it.

If I had know there were all these problems, I never would have stopped using the last operating system! ;)

I see what you did there :apple:

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
My mini running 10.8 with server showed the update. Server is no longer a separate os just an add on component from the MAS

That's what i mean. Now that it's effectively a separate entity, it seems that there won't be a simultaneous release for both server and client anymore. It'll just be updated when they can be bothered. The ML Server app has quite a few issues, and 10.8.1 didn't update the Server app, so i'm hoping we'll see one soon.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008

1. The icons now load on the right side of the screen instead of the left where they are supposed to.
3. I don't get any of those things from friends now that I used to get. What were they called.....viruses? I think that's it.

If I had know there were all these problems, I never would have stopped using the last operating system! ;)

-M

I seriouesly fell for Recycle Bin. ;)

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
I just quickly ran NovaBench and here is the result. Quite improvement for a 7MB download. I'm hoping that others are seeing same improvements :)

Strange. Ive got a slower processor Intel Core i7 than you running Lion and I got a score of 1049.

That suggests ML is not as fast as Lion....

tarryweather

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
Has anyone gotten a Notification Center notification about the update yet? I've been wondering if you need to be on an admin account for those to work (I run a standard one day-to-day), so I'm curious to see when the notifications start rolling out whether or not I get one.

Aaanybody?

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
My update was only 7.5MB, pretty small time. But I don't know if I'm a big fan of the using of the App Store to do updates, I liked the old system better :(

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for the great info!

The Combo installers appear with the x.y.2 (and later) releases when there are multiple updates to combine, hence the name.

10.8.1 update - updates 10.8.0 to 10.8.1
10.8.2 update - updates 10.8.1 to 10.8.2
10.8.2 combo update - update 10.8.0 to 10.8.2 (includes 10.8.1 updates)

This is not new. It's been like this for years and years.

Note that all standalone Mac OS X updaters eventually show up here:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/

Again, nothing new.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
:p

-M

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
The Combo installers appear with the x.y.2 (and later) releases when there are multiple updates to combine, hence the name.

10.8.1 update - updates 10.8.0 to 10.8.1
10.8.2 update - updates 10.8.1 to 10.8.2
10.8.2 combo update - update 10.8.0 to 10.8.2 (includes 10.8.1 updates)

This is not new. It's been like this for years and years.

Note that all standalone Mac OS X updaters eventually show up here:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/

Again, nothing new.

Who is going to try?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
My update was only 7.5MB, pretty small time. But I don't know if I'm a big fan of the using of the App Store to do updates, I liked the old system better :(

Confusing!

I shows 2 updates available

There is one labeled "Software update" at 7.28 mb and

OSX Mountain Lion described as a 10.8.1 update.

That one shouldn't show up.

I did go through software update from the Apple menu .

Anyway they better relabel that to make it clear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.