Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LggN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Georgia
I cannot install anything on my computer because my dad put restrictions on it. I can install things, only if I had the password. I did some googling, and I found this:

You can try this:

But, it will create a new account and your old files will still not be accessible.

Creating a new Admin on Mac Os X:
Here's how to reset your OS X password without an OS X CD.
the Working solution for me was to create a new admin
you can create new admin like this by deleting a specific file.

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot
2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s on newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

Apple stores wont reset it for you. Computer shops may charge you $50 to $200 trying to reinstall the Mac and failing at end.

Is this safe? I do not want to mess my mac up, because if my dad finds out I was trying to create a new account to install stuff, I will be screwed. Thanks in advance.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Your dad probably put the password on the computer for a reason.

Why not just ask him to install whatever software you need to have installed?

This command "tricks" your computer into thinking that it has never been run before. It will run through the initial setup that every new Mac owner does when first using the computer.

If you run this, it will run through the set up and there will be another account with administrator access.

Reactions: Tomorrow

LggN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Georgia
Your dad probably put the password on the computer for a reason.

Why not just ask him to install whatever software you need to have installed?

This command "tricks" your computer into thinking that it has never been run before. It will run through the initial setup that every new Mac owner does when first using the computer.

If you run this, it will run through the set up and there will be another account with administrator access.

I understand. Well could this cause any damage to my mac?

Finch7

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2009
Always a chance that you will need to do a clean install and backup to fix a problem. If you have a time machine backup, ultimately everything is reversible.

Arthur Livings

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
I'm on a school issued computer and I want to get past the administrator password. I want to know if you tried this and if it had an effect on any of the other users/settings or if everything remained the same.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I'm on a school issued computer and I want to get past the administrator password. I want to know if you tried this and if it had an effect on any of the other users/settings or if everything remained the same.
I would not recommend you do this in hardware that is not owned by you. Bypassing security restrictions is probably not something they allow you to do.

Arthur Livings

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
Okay, then if I try it on my family's Mac and get rid of my mom's restrictions, would it cause any of problems that I listed earlier?

PresidentMike

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2016
I know this thread is 5 years old at this point, and the problem, and possibly the computer itself, are most likely dead and gone. But as i stumbled across it and cant help but laugh at it, I should point out that none of the advice above is even remotely educated. Not even for 2011. Mac has a built in password reset feature with every copy of OSX. even found the appropriate link:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/reset-bypass-password-mac-macbook/

People please, don't just answer to answer, answer if you know what your talking about...

This is NOT a new fix, college instructor taught us this back in '07

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
This is NOT a new fix, college instructor taught us this back in '07

Wow... way to be rude with your first post. :rolleyes:

It does seem it is you who does not know what you are talking about here. The password reset method you linked only works on Macs that have a recovery partition, and the first Macs to have a recovery partition would be those that came with OS X 10.7 Lion, which was released in July 2011. So you obviously were not taught this method in 2007.

Pre Lion Macs used one of the two methods already linked in this thread (posts #1 and #7) to get around an admin password. Post #1 describes how to make a new admin account and post #7 describes how to boot from the installer DVD to reset an admin password.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Weaselboy is accurate - as usual.
The "fix" from PresidentMike did not exist in that form "back in '07"

And, school-owned Macs will often have a firmware password set, so booting to another partition or drive won't be possible without that firmware password. It cannot be bypassed by normal processes, without the correct password - unless you get Apple's help, which would require you to prove that you own that Mac.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Okay, then if I try it on my family's Mac and get rid of my mom's restrictions, would it cause any of problems that I listed earlier?
Well, it could cause you enormous problems if your mom found out. If anything goes wrong with the computer, then you'd have a real problem.

Reactions: satcomer

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
wow, this is an old thread. The OP has probably left home at this stage!

Anyway, from my experience the solution of President Mike will only work SOMETIMES - other times
you will still need a OS X installation medium (DVD, or USB drive) to reset password.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Although there would be security implications here, the more relevant issue is access to a system that you own.
If you can prove ownership, Apple can clear a firmware (EFI) password for the owner, if a firmware password has been enabled.
This is not in any way related to the current issues about encrypted drives, etc.

It takes very little knowledge to find out how to reset an admin password, which has existed virtually since the beginning of OS X, some 15 years ago.

And that is NOT what this thread is about.

The OP is long gone from 5 years ago, and likely is no longer concerned about parental control - which was the original issue. Ultimately, if someone does not allow you full control over a computer that you don't own, then we can't usually do more than provide hints or suggestions.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can Apple do this remotely then?
No.
If it is a firmware password that is forgotten - you take the Mac to Apple, along with proof of ownership.
Then, this is the process - or similar.
They call a support number at Apple, who has the tech run a terminal routine that reports a code.
That code is given to Apple. Apple performs a routine on that code, which outputs a reset code.
That result is entered in to your Mac, resetting the firmware password.
Or, it may be performed at a secured Apple tech site, and may not require human interaction to get the reset code.
Still requires a trip to an Apple store, or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

That's not exactly what happens, but is pretty close to the firmware reset procedure.
It is not a remote reset.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yeah... like DM said, you are going to have to physically take it in. The process is described below from this article.

To reset the firmware password on newer Macs, you must now follow these steps:
  1. Boot with Option key held to display the boot menu's firmware password prompt.
  2. Press Control-Option-Command-Shift-S to reveal a 33-digit hash (mixed letters and numbers) that contains an identifier for your specific motherboard and the Atmel chip used for your system. In this hash, the first 17 digits are an identifier for the system's motherboard, and the last 16 digits are a hash for the password.
  3. Submit the hash to Apple, where someone will put it through a special utility to create a keyfile that is specific for your machine.
  4. Place the file on a special USB boot drive and hold Option to load the boot menu and select this drive.
  5. The system will read the file and properly reset the firmware password stored in the Atmel chip.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
As i remember, the original post was about an administrator user having control over the system and subsequent basic users that were unable to install software without administrator access. It was not that the administrator account was forgotten, but simply the basic user wanted admin privileges. The command line quoted in the original post at the time would preform the initial setup function that every Mac does when creating a brand new user. Because it is a brand new user, and the computer thinks it is the only one, as it should at "first start up" it is granted administrator privileges.

The basic user would then have the basic account and a new administrator account. The basic user could then use that administrator account to grant administrator access to the basic account, and then delete the newly created administrator account. That command line "work around" has been public knowledge since at least 2004. Probably earlier.

I think the general home user doesn't set a firmware password, but it is a good idea.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I'm thinking that, if your dad placed restrictions on it, it really isn't your computer. I wonder, when you're old enough to have children, what restrictions you will place on them because you wil have the accrued the wisdom to foresee things they cannot see.

Perhaps, instead of trying to bypass your father's wishes, simply concede the fact that he may know more than you and you should abide by his wishes.

Just a thought.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wow we're still grave digging in this one.

Providing it's not got a firmware password enabled it's one command line to reset the password. So very simple.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I'm thinking that, if your dad placed restrictions on it, it really isn't your computer. I wonder, when you're old enough to have children, what restrictions you will place on them because you wil have the accrued the wisdom to foresee things they cannot see.

Perhaps, instead of trying to bypass your father's wishes, simply concede the fact that he may know more than you and you should abide by his wishes.

Just a thought.
Although I agree with your answer, the OP is from 2011.
I bet OP is old enough to have children by now... :D

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
can I use that guide to reset login password on my windows 10 home?
No, not even close.
It's a Mac-specific method, and Win10 will have a completely different method for a login password reset. You'll need to search on a Windows support site (which this is not) for how to do that.
Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.