Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Does anyone else have an issue to turn off your signature for a single email?

I click it back to "none" and my signature doesnt disappear like in Lion.

I now have to manually erase my signature. Strange. I hope its fixed in 10.8.1. :eek:

ianreid

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Signature Issues

Same problem here. I had noticed it occasionally in Lion but now it is on every email.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Same problem here. I had noticed it occasionally in Lion but now it is on every email.

I think it was like that on Lion sometimes too. But, its unbelievable on mountain.

If I start an email that auto puts up the signature, I hit "none" and then I click back to the signature.. I get 2 signatures in a row. Just weird.

At least I'm not the one one.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Mine defaults to None and I then have to select one (same as previous OS X's) . I do have 4 setup. If you only have 1 Signature then try setting up 2 Signatures and see what happens.

EDIT: Just checked and if I select a Signature (it displays) and then select None it erases (disappears) so you may have a (semi) unique bug.

ianreid

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
I think it only happens if you have the signature to be automatically included rather than selecting one after you have started a new email.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I think it only happens if you have the signature to be automatically included rather than selecting one after you have started a new email.

I just checked by adding an auto Signature and when I select none is disappears.

ianreid

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
If the signature is just text it works fine but if I have an image or website link then it doesn't delete.

ianreid

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Your right. I mustn't have tested in properly. The image is the problem.

EDIT: create a second signature with the same image but saved as a png. After doing this both signatures work fine.

Last edited:

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
On mine it works for new messages but not for replies: for replies I have to erase the autoinserted signature manually and if I select none then go back to the original signature I get 2 copies of it as detailed above. Interestingly the second copy will appear/disappear as it's supposed to, so it seems to be a glitch with the first signature automatically inserted when you start a reply. Signature is all text, no images.

Edit: a further quick test confirms the link issue detailed above: it works for replies as well as long as there is no email address or website link in the signature, otherwise it doesn't work. Odd, but I guess anyone who gets an email from me has my address anyway so I can live without having it in there until they fix it. :)

Edit 2: apparently it works as long as you don't have the email address formatted as:

email: xxx@xxx.com

in the signature. Just the email address (i.e. no email: before it) seems to work fine. I truly have no idea what's going on now. :confused:

Last edited:

spaziobds

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
I see the bug only for a mail address with 2 different signatures.
Start with the default signature, click none, signature doesn't clear. Choose a new signature, or even the default, get 2 signatures.
If I start with no default signature, everything works

ianreid

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Edit 2: apparently it works as long as you don't have the email address formatted as:

email: xxx@xxx.com

in the signature. Just the email address (i.e. no email: before it) seems to work fine. I truly have no idea what's going on now. :confused:

I did have an email address link in my signature but I didn't have "email:" before it. This is an odd bug.

It's working for me now, though.

greezychicken

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2005
This was working for me perfectly fine until this morning. I have two accounts in my Mail app. Exchange and Gmail. The default account is Exchange which is setup with a standard address/email signature. The Gmail is setup with one that is empty. Before today, any new emails would open with my Exchange signature already input and if I switched the combo box over to my Gmail account, the Exchange signature would disappear and be replaced with my blank Gmail account one. Now the Exchange one doesn't disappear automatically. Very odd and frustrating.

Gmajew9827

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Having same issue but when I go to compose new message my default signature appears when I change the account to send from different the old signature stays and the new one is placed below. So now I have two signatures. Pain! Help!

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
This was working for me perfectly fine until this morning. I have two accounts in my Mail app. Exchange and Gmail. The default account is Exchange which is setup with a standard address/email signature. The Gmail is setup with one that is empty. Before today, any new emails would open with my Exchange signature already input and if I switched the combo box over to my Gmail account, the Exchange signature would disappear and be replaced with my blank Gmail account one. Now the Exchange one doesn't disappear automatically. Very odd and frustrating.

I have 6 emails and half of them don't have signatures. Besides- I think it doesn't matter between different email types, but its just a bug if they catch it early enough. Its not a real error or a crash, but I wonder how they'll be able to find it or how we can report it..?

Having same issue but when I go to compose new message my default signature appears when I change the account to send from different the old signature stays and the new one is placed below. So now I have two signatures. Pain! Help!

Pain? You can manually select the signature and deleting it but the signature pull down is just not working properly. Its just a small detail for now until its fixed for a fresh OS. :)

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
Reading this thread, and then checking my email I notice:

- When a default signature is selected for an account, it will show when creating a new message
- When creating a new message, signature is set to 'none', while it sets the default signature in the message body
- When selecting a signature from the drop down in the new message, it will add it to the bottom, effectively adding a second signature
- When selecting none in the drop down, it removes the second added signature while leaving in place the original.
- Setting signature to random, it will show signature in the drop down of new message, but when set to none it will not remove it. When changing from none to signature, it will add a second signature again.

This is clearly a bug, where a default signature can and will be added to a message, but the program not actually registering a signature is used and added to the message.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
Images to demonstrate:

U65K

New message, default signature

TaG

Same message, signature changed to none

pSSc

Same message, signature added

DqBl

Same message, signature set to none again.

Monteverdi

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2012
I am having the same problem precisely as detailed by Throttlemeister. I'm looking for a prefs file or plist to delete (likely culprit) and will report back here if I can figure something out.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Ok,

I can confirm that the signatures were NOT fixed in the 10.8.1 update today. :(

No fix on 10.8.2 or the minimal update today.. :mad:

I'm still manually deleting my signatures when its necessary... This should have been a simple fix by now. C'mon apple. :rolleyes:

mr.screens

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Simple Fix

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion and had this same problem with having to manually delete signatures. Also, I noticed that I had exact duplicates of both my signatures. (I assumed this latter issue was caused by iCloud syncing my two Macs to each other.)

I fixed both problems at once by simply deleting all four signatures, then creating two new ones in the latest version of Mail, using the Signature tab in Preferences (no need to monkey around with plists).

I just found an old Sent e-mail with the sigs I wanted to recreate and copied & pasted them into the window. They now both work perfectly, and when I select None, I get none.

I guess Mail 6.1 doesn't play nicely with legacy signatures, but seems to works fine if you delete and rebuild them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.