Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poblack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Does anybody know if there is a button or option to prevent being routed to a mobile version of a website on the iphone?

It seems like everyday a different website that I go to is being converted to a mobile site with abbreviated sections and no pictures. I hate that. I prefer to experience the website as it was originally intended.

Can someone help?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Does anybody know if there is a button or option to prevent being routed to a mobile version of a website on the iphone?

It seems like everyday a different website that I go to is being converted to a mobile site with abbreviated sections and no pictures. I hate that. I prefer to experience the website as it was originally intended.

Can someone help?

There's nothing you can do because it's set by the server you're going to, not the phone.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Yeah

Oh yeah, this bothers me to no end as well. The iPhone is marketed as this device with the most advanced mobile browser yet and able to view the web just like on a desktop, but website designers go and make stripped down iPhone versions of their pages? Lame.

Check around for a link to the full version of page though, I have found them on many of the mobile sites (USA Today, eBay, etc.)

PatrickRS

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Usually the mobile version is triggered by the web site recognizing the browser (Mobile Safari) and adjusting its behaviour. On the PC it is possible to have your browser identify itself as a different browser. Perhaps there is a setting / hack somewhere which can be applied to the iPhone's browser?

kdarling

macrumors P6
With each and every request, your browser sends a User Agent string to the server, telling it what kind of browser it is.

In this case, it's identifying itself as mobile Safari and an iPhone (or touch).

While some other mobile browsers let you change your User Agent string to spoof the web servers, Safari does not. (It's part of being a SIMPLE user interface)

Your choices (without jailbreaking) are 1) find the link that gives you the full page, and/or 2) write the webmaster and ask that they create one.

(Personally, I like most mobile websites, especially if they're a lot faster and they scale down the graphics. The "real internet" is made for much larger screens than the iPhone has, and that's what my laptop is for... or perhaps one of the new VGA+ phones available now.)

St4rKruzade

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
not true

There's nothing you can do because it's set by the server you're going to, not the phone.

I recently migrated to iPhone from Android, and Android has a setting where mobile view can be disabled and you see the full site. I am thoroughly disappointed...

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I recently migrated to iPhone from Android, and Android has a setting where mobile view can be disabled and you see the full site. I am thoroughly disappointed...
Than your Android device basically tells the site "I'm a PC, not a smartphone."

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
use atomic web browser. You can make it so the phone is recognized as whatever browser you want, eg: firefox desktop, chrome desktop....etc

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
If you are jailbroken, then there is tweak for it. I am 90 percent sure that it's "user agent". Does what u looking for..

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Can someone help?

I don't know why web designers are reverting to watered down picture less versions of websites again. That is the reason why most of us bought the iPhone in 2007!

rcorai

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Argentina
I don't like how twitter looks on Safari. Is there any way to disable mobile view on my Safari or should I use other browser? :confused:

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

No, it's a browser setting.

use atomic web browser. You can make it so the phone is recognized as whatever browser you want, eg: firefox desktop, chrome desktop....etc

Exactly right, Atomic browser is free and allows you to choose any user agent you want (in the settings menu).

----------

I don't like how twitter looks on Safari. Is there any way to disable mobile view on my Safari or should I use other browser? :confused:

Try Atomic browser.

jbkeyman

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012

That is absolutely incorrect. It redirects because the browser identifies itself as a mobile browser. It can be fixed exactly how the questioner suggested: The Browser developer Adding a switch to identify it as desktop.

Clicking "desktop version" is NOT a fix.

If I do a web search, 9 out of 10 times the search results are desktop urls that dont have a mobile equivalent. So, when I get redirected, it is to the site home page not the page i clicked on.

Clicking on "desktop version" just sends me to a desktop version of the home page. So I've wasted my time chasing a page I can never get to.

Putting the responsibility on every site on the web doesn't make sense when phone os developers could simply implement a Desktop version option on the browser end.

Last edited:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Can someone help?

Poor web design, nothing you can do about it.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
That is absolutely incorrect. It redirects because the browser identifies itself as a mobile browser. It can be fixed exactly how the questioner suggested: The Browser developer Adding a switch to identify it as desktop.
Clicking "desktop version" is NOT a fix. If I do a web search, 9 out of 10 times the search results are desktop urls that dont have a mobile equivalent. So when I get redirected it is to the home page not the page i clicked on. Clicking on "desktop version" just sends me to a desktop version of the home page. So I've wasted my time chasing a page I can never get to. Putting the responsibility on every site on the web doesn't make sense when phone os developers could simply implement a Desktop version option on the browser end.

That's EXACTLY whose responsibility it is. Are you going to say it's Apple's fault for every poorly coded site out there? Or that devs haven't updated apps for retina let alone the 4" screen on the 5? If developers can't do simple things like link to a workable desktop version of their site, it's not Apple's problem. You also realize that the iPhone isn't the only mobile internet device out there, right?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
As others have suggested get the Atomic Browser. It also has full screen browsing which is really cool.

jbkeyman

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
So which makes more sense, a mobile version and a desktop version, or a browser that has to have 40 different configurations for every possible device out there?
I cant make sense of what you saying. There is no need for 40 anything. 1 setting that lets the user choose their browsing experience.

jbkeyman

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
That's EXACTLY whose responsibility it is. Are you going to say it's Apple's fault for every poorly coded site out there? Or that devs haven't updated apps for retina let alone the 4" screen on the 5? If developers can't do simple things like link to a workable desktop version of their site, it's not Apple's problem. You also realize that the iPhone isn't the only mobile internet device out there, right?
It a matter of the browser allowing me to access the site I want.
What do you not understand?
Its not the device and its not the site.
It's the browser.
Do you really think apple has to recode safari for every device? No they do not.
Do you really think every site on the web should have a version for every device apple releases? Keep dreaming. Most of the web is not mobile sites. And most mobile sites don't have all the content of the full site and never will.

Last edited:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I cant make sense of what you saying. There is no need for 40 anything. 1 setting that lets the user choose their browsing experience.

I'm not sure what you're saying, that's exactly what a desktop/mobile link does. So let's say you have a "browser" setting in there. What browser is it using? Safari? It will still read it as a mobile device. Well, let's throw "Safari - Mobile" and Safari - Desktop" in there (look familiar?). How about Firefox? Or IE? Or any of the other browsers that people have listed here?

----------

It a matter of the browser allowing me to access the site I want. What do you not understand. Its not the device and its not the site. Its the browser. Do you really think apple has to recode safari for every device? No they do not.

I'm pretty much done here, but that's just not true. God help us all when you discover that flash sites won't work on the phone.

jbkeyman

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
It will still read it as a mobile device.
No, mobile browser not mobile device. That what the whole thread is about.
Obviously it has nothing to do with the device. Other browsers on the same device have the capability to default to desktop sites.
I'm pretty much done here, but that's just not true
Sorry I'm not here to teach you software engineering. But you are mistaken. Apple doesn't reprogram safari for every device it makes. Nor is it neccesary.
God help us all when you discover that flash sites won't work on the phone.
Thats not necessary. Im looking for solutions to a very fixable frustration that alot of people have.

But lets deal with the facts.

Misinformation and not understanding the technology doesn't help.

I love my Idevices I don't know how this turned into an Apple against the world fanboyathon. But all mobile browsers that CAN display desktop versions should allow its users to default to desktop if they choose.

That goes for google microsoft and yes apple too.

Last edited:

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
As others have already mentioned you need Atomic Web Browser or Google Chrome.

On Atomic Web browser go to settings >Identify Browser as> Change to Safari Desktop, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc...
-----
In Google Chrome you click settings and request the desktop site.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
No, it's a browser setting.

Yes and no. Most sites are designed to identify what browser you are using and direct you to the appropriate version of the site. So, in that aspect, it is a setting on the webserver hosting a website or in the coding for the site itself.

Most mobile browsers, by default, identify themselves as mobile browsers and are directed to the less graphic intensive and smaller resolution mobile websites. However, there are some mobile browsers that allow you "trick" the websites and identify themselves as regular browsers. Thus, you are directed to the full version of the website. So, if your browser allows that option, it can be considered a browser setting.

Regardless, a good programmer will place a link somewhere on a mobile website linking you to the full version if you want it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.