Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Hey guys! Having some problems with CS:GO.

I am getting VERY random FPS drops. Sometimes I'll start a round getting 60+ FPS and it will just randomly drop down to 20-30 FPS. Virtually always happens when around multiple people.

Also, shooting certain spots on maps (Such as the box at B site next to the railing on aztec) will make the FPS drop down to 10 FPS even at low resolutions.

I know people are getting a ton of FPS drops on the windows version, but I wanted to see who was experiencing similar things on Mac? I feel my computer (in sig) should be powerful enough to maintain 60 FPS on max, but even dropping down settings does little to stop those random drops.

Also, I'm not very familiar with how Valve patches a game between platforms. If they patch the windows version to fix those issues would they also do the same with the Mac version? Like I said, the vast majority of people who are reaching out on the valve forums are on windows, so I'm hoping they won't overlook optimizing and fixing the FPS drops on the mac version.

NCW

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
I haven't had any problems other then occasional server lag, which is to be expected with all the people hopping on the beta. I am playing on a retina 2.3/16gb though, so that is probably helping

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
I haven't had any problems other then occasional server lag, which is to be expected with all the people hopping on the beta. I am playing on a retina 2.3/16gb though, so that is probably helping

What settings are you running at?

estrides

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Also, remember its a beta. Random issues will probably occur till the full release comes out.

Anyway, I think GO is so much better than CSS! Ive been playing CS since '99 and I freaking love this new upgrade to the system.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
****, Steam sucks! After reading about CS:GO here, I had to go look at it... and it was on sale for $13, and so was Allen Wake ($10). Now I'm $23 poorer and I didn't intend on buying them. :D

Going to be a fun weekend.

nizz

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2004
north philly
my 2 cents. I just got cs:go for my 2012 11in macbook air and it feels terrible. I'm not sure if it is because of the tiny screen and slow graphics, gaming on a mac, the beta bugs, or just the game design itself..... it is unplayable for me at the moment due to frustration.

I'm waiting until the official version comes out and then maybe I'll try to find a pc to play on.

btw, I'm a 1.6 player and never really liked how source felt.

andremog

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2012
Cs:go Dont open

Hi, i've installed Counter Strike Global Offensive Beta and when try to open the game it wont start , apears the steam message " Game is starting...." then it disapear and the game dont start.

sorry for my english :)

royal shrimp

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
california
Hi, i've installed Counter Strike Global Offensive Beta and when try to open the game it wont start , apears the steam message " Game is starting...." then it disapear and the game dont start.

you have to set up steam for beta access. go to your steam account preferences on the top menu bar. from there in the account tab you should see something like "enable steam beta" or so. once you activate that, the game launches. i had same problem, and this fixed it! i may make youtube video on it

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
try setting your shader settings to very high and you vsync to disabled, or bilinear might be the lowest setting.

With these settings I get no framerate tearing on my 2011 15" MBP with everything on absolute max and on 1680x1050. I was getting similar issues with my shader settings set on the default value of high.

Knarl

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2010
Is anyone running this game on their MBP w/ the 9400M graphics card? Is it choppy at all, or does it run fine?

Razzz

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Running full game on my retina 2.6/16 and its doing very stable fps at 60-80 on something x1280 (16:10) if i drop that to the x1050 it goes up to 125+ fps.

Very playable, gets hotter than cs source ever did but thats to be expected cause of the graphics update.

Knarl

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2010
Alright, I bought it and have tried it out on single player with bots. For some reason multiplayer isn't working for me.

It seems to run fine, except there is some general choppiness in the overall mouse scrolling and screen/graphics integrity. Not super smooth. I've tried putting everything on low and it doesn't really help. This is with the 9400M chip. It's not game-breaking, but you'd definitely be at a disadvantage against an equally skilled player.

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
Can anyone point me to the location of the config file on a Mac? Its not in the CS:GO Package and not in the Steam Package ...

I know there's 5.5GB of files somewhere on the computer!

bazinga!!

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2012
Belgium
Alright, I bought it and have tried it out on single player with bots. For some reason multiplayer isn't working for me.

It seems to run fine, except there is some general choppiness in the overall mouse scrolling and screen/graphics integrity. Not super smooth. I've tried putting everything on low and it doesn't really help. This is with the 9400M chip. It's not game-breaking, but you'd definitely be at a disadvantage against an equally skilled player.

since thursday CS:GO keeps on crashing and having various other problems due to the update.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
It's since the latest patch, the one that came today or last night that showed up as 0mb in size.

Sure Valve are aware as there is a big thread on the steam forums about it, I played a couple of games tonight but mostly it just crashes over and over, gave up for tonight hoping it will be fixed in the morning.

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
Can anyone point me to the location of the config file on a Mac? Its not in the CS:GO Package and not in the Steam Package ...

Just as a follow up the config files are in:

User/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Counter-Strike Global Offensive/csgo/cfg

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Bought it last night and woke up this morning to see it was finished downloading! So after work I'm gonna give this a go! Running on a High End Late 2011 15" MBP.

Mawngo

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
Montreal, Canada

Go to "Go" on your menu bar, select "go to folder" then type in "~/Library"

Then, go to "Application Support" > "Steam" > "SteamApps" > "Config"

You're gonna need to create any Autoexec.cfg because it's not there by default. Hope this helps!

kuhtang

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Ontario
Go to "Go" on your menu bar, select "go to folder" then type in "~/Library"

Then, go to "Application Support" > "Steam" > "SteamApps" > "Config"

You're gonna need to create any Autoexec.cfg because it's not there by default. Hope this helps!

This is super helpful....I recently got promoted to admin in our server and I had no idea where my demos were going!!

tuckerdanh

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Hi guys,

I've tried to access my cfg file via what you recommended (Library >> application support >> steam) but there is not Steam folder whatsoever. Any ideas? I'm new to MACS. If it was a PC i would have thought maybe enable hidden files. No such option.
Really annoyed, just want a cfg to work!

Thanks

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006

Thanks for the heads up on the CS:GO abbreviation, we do not all play every game therefore we do not all understand all the game abbreviations.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.