Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I'm not judging either club - I merely opined that Arsenal might feel they are above taking players on loan without options to buy. Then again, many Arsenal fans are already complaining that they've become a feeder club to the Spanish Giants (and Man Utd).

Mainly Man City to be fair

As for Liverpool, at this point I don't care what they won in the 80s. That's great. But right now we are a 9th-placed club until proven otherwise.

Clearly you have the right to your opinion but we did win a domestic trophy last season, won the champions league within the past 10 years and reached multiple European finals in the same time frame. Not many teams have done better.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
at Dortmund Sahin typically played a deep lying playmaker with lots of through/long passes in a 4-2-3-1 together with more defensive central midfielder

at Real he simply has no chance for first team football with Xabi Alonso and Khedira being key players, and Mourihno liking a strong defensive central midfield

if you want a player to compete with arshavin then obviously perhaps competing for Reus would have been an option ... in bthe end he sold for 17 mio euro ... that's less money than players like Henderson, Fletcher or Allen :rolleyes:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Clearly you have the right to your opinion but we did win a domestic trophy last season, won the champions league within the past 10 years and reached multiple European finals in the same time frame. Not many teams have done better.

I would gladly swap the Carling Cup for a 4th place finish in the league (for that matter, I'd gladly swap both domestic cups for a 4th place finish. The economic argument for Champions League football is irrefutable). I'm not trying to downplay recent successes, but we have not been very good over the last several years. Winning the Carling Cup and finishing 9th is not good enough given the money that's been spent. It could have been worse of course, and winning a cup is a good thing in itself. But the last thing I want us to be doing right now is resting on our laurels.

takao said:
at Dortmund Sahin typically played a deep lying playmaker with lots of through/long passes in a 4-2-3-1 together with more defensive central midfielder

at Real he simply has no chance for first team football with Xabi Alonso and Khedira being key players, and Mourihno liking a strong defensive central midfield

Oh no! You mentioned Sahin in the same sentence with Xabi Alonso! Now you'll get Liverpool fans all excited... ;)

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
4th place didn't qualify for CL last season

True, but it almost always will. I'd take a 4th placed league finish (even without CL qualification) over Europa League qualification every time.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to win the Carling Cup. But it is by no means a great achievement for a club with funds like Liverpool's.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Sunderland vs Reading is POSTPONED

A waterlogged pitch in August? Really?
They can spend £12m on Steven Fletcher but can't even get a decent drainage system...

2020mike

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sunderland vs Reading is POSTPONED

A waterlogged pitch in August? Really?
They can spend £12m on Steven Fletcher but can't even get a decent drainage system...

One less game to watch for me today. For what they paid for Fletcher they should have him out there with a hand pump and hair dryer to get the pitch ready.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Fulham just taken the lead vs Man United :confused:

Bottom 3 in the EPL as it stands:

18. Aston Villa
19. Man United
20. Liverpool

:D

It's mad already this season.

EDIT: RVP just equalised.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
As good as Everton have been, Villa have been equally dire. Lambert not looking to be the saviour there either.

I found it questionable that they haven't/won't sign any players :confused:

EDIT: Rooney, who had his thigh ripped open, will be out for 4 weeks.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Newcastle have been a little sloppy and tentative at times, but overall they've not played that badly. It's just that Chelsea have outclassed them. Hazard continues to look excellent, and I think the old Torres might be finally showing himself. He's definitely more confident.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Chelsea quietly racking up the points. Torres might've found his saviour in Hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.