Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I think those amounts after the $1.05 billion were the damages broken down for each device (if you're getting that from The Verge). If that's what you're talking about? Or maybe I did misread.

You want CNet to get things right? Come on. :)

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
TheVerge: Suffice to say, Samsung's legal team cannot be happy right now.

TheVerge: Apple didn't win everything — not by a long shot — but it won enough to make this a very important day.

CNET: Big win for Apple here today.

euphlyusUNO

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
I"M SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!! Justice at last!! This should be a lesson, don't leech off of others!

Why does CNET say 2.3B+ and here it says 1B?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I am a bit confused. Wasn't the verdict that Apple and Samsung owed each other about 20m plus they had a ban on the sale on some devices in Korea?

That was in Korea, and the 20 million damages there are in Korean currency and something around $50,000.

Apple just opened a can of worms.And the sleeping giant. If they have Google, Samsung, HTC, LG and several others gunning after them...they just might regret this.

Depends on who you mean when you say "they". And who might that "sleeping giant" be? HTC and LG certainly look a bit as if they are sleeping... Fact is that at least HTC and LG will not be unhappy about Samsung being ordered to pay damages. I am sure one reason that HTC and LG fell behind Samsung in phone sales is that they didn't make blatant copies of the iPhone, like Samsung did.

And about a year ago Microsoft, Apple and some others were stopped from bidding for a package of patents because Google and others claimed these patents would be used to sue competitors. Now that Google has bought Motorola, they are already suing Apple. That might get interesting.

Last edited:

Melab

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
It is not the feature, but how it is implemented. What this is saying is that Samsung just flat out copied, rather than designing it from scratch.

How many other ways are there to implement pinch-to-zoom?

Gandir

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
A monopoly? What did smartphones look like before the iPhone? They were all blackberries with keyboards. Why couldn't companies have kept selling ones like that? Oh yeah, because everybody wants an iPhone, so let's just rip that off.

There where phones on the market that did look a lot like Iphone and worked quite similar to the Iphone long before Apple did release it Ericsson, Nokia and not to mention Neonode did a lot of them.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
I don't see how any sane jury can't come to the same conclusion as the South Korean courts did. Which would be a bad thing for both side, but ultimately good for the consumer, as it will show that litigation is not the solution.

Look at where they are: in South Korea. The asian companies, oddly enough, need to start being truly and fully creative, but copying is in their history. That's what they've done since the end of the Second World War. By the way, our industry would explode if our patents weren't enforceable. This is the whole way our industry has positioned itself -- not so wisely, either: they have all the factories and industrial production, and we're the control booth. All US industry has, as we're currently organized, are the patents and trademarks. I'd gladly change the patents if we brought some manufacturing capabilities back to the U.S.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
And Samsung / Apple will pass the costs on to the consumer - win!

Wanna bet that Cook locked in some very long term component pricing from Samsung before going ahead with this lawsuit?

So Apple consumers won't pay. But if you want to buy a Samsung refrigerator or cargo ship... watch out!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Well like this is a surprise being an American court :rolleyes: but well done on proclaiming that you CAN patent a square with rounded corners, you have just given a green light for Apple to ban everyone else form the market place and charge even more for it's products.
Thanks court! Your the best!!! :mad::apple::mad:

Funny how the rest of the world's courts see things differently....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.