Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
The input is 1920x1080, the output says 1920x798. Is that right?

That's fine.

Not sure if you caught it in the aTV3 presets thread, but Dynaflash has recommended sticking with anamorphic strict. Anamorphic loose will default to 720p on some sources. And strict works 100% of the time.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
That's fine.

Not sure if you caught it in the aTV3 presets thread, but Dynaflash has recommended sticking with anamorphic strict. Anamorphic loose will default to 720p on some sources. And strict works 100% of the time.

I'm still running 0.9.6 and the custom Apple TV3 preset that you recommended earlier in this thread. Per that anamorphic is set to strict.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I'm still running 0.9.6 and the custom Apple TV3 preset that you recommended earlier in this thread. Per that anamorphic is set to strict.
That's good. I can't really say the 0.9.8 version offers much. Just satisfied those who felt they needed an aTV 3 preset. We are more educated than that, right???;)

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
That's good. I can't really say the 0.9.8 version offers much. Just satisfied those who felt they needed an aTV 3 preset. We are more educated than that, right???;)

You are more educated than that, I'm still learning. Haha.

Everything appears to be good with my first 1080p transcode. It's on an external drive and doest scrub well, makes sense. Went from 27.8GB down to 8.1GB. I'll be loading it into iTunes later tonight and on the iPad.

On a completely seperate note, VLC had an update, completely changed the user interface, and I HATE it.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
My friend is running a 2011 15"MBP with an i7 Ivy Bridge processor. We wanted to see how much faster his processor would transcode a movie compared to my Core 2 Duo. He was transcoding at an average of 47fps. I asked him a few more questions today to make sure all the variables were the same, and they were not.

He transcoded straight from the DVD, where as I transcode from a .mkv container. Would that have an effect on speed?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
My friend is running a 2011 15"MBP with an i7 Ivy Bridge processor. We wanted to see how much faster his processor would transcode a movie compared to my Core 2 Duo. He was transcoding at an average of 47fps. I asked him a few more questions today to make sure all the variables were the same, and they were not.

He transcoded straight from the DVD, where as I transcode from a .mkv container. Would that have an effect on speed?
I have never ripped directly from a dvd but I would expect that to be slower than transcoding from a HDD file. I would expect a huge increase in speed due to having multicore capability. HB will use every resource the CPU will provide it. I assume you both used the aTV3 preset/strict?

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I have never ripped directly from a dvd but I would expect that to be slower than transcoding from a HDD file. I would expect a huge increase in speed due to having multicore capability. HB will use every resource the CPU will provide it. I assume you both used the aTV3 preset/strict?

I had him set everything to what I do, only difference was he was converting straight from DVD and I convert from .mkv.

I want a new 27" iMac with an i7 Sandy Bridge...... Lol

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I had him set everything to what I do, only difference was he was converting straight from DVD and I convert from .mkv.

I want a new 27" iMac with an i7 Sandy Bridge...... Lol

Ohhhh, don't we all!!! (As I sit here and transcode o/n @ 4fps :eek:)

I am pretty sure it was the multiple core processor that made the different

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Ohhhh, don't we all!!! (As I sit here and transcode o/n @ 4fps :eek:)

I am pretty sure it was the multiple core processor that made the different

What do you have the Constant Quality set to? I have it at 18, he says he has been ripping straight from the DVD and sets the CQ at 12.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
What do you have the Constant Quality set to? I have it at 18, he says he has been ripping straight from the DVD and sets the CQ at 12.

I always use the default CQ, 20. CQ=12 is crazy overkill. Anything below 18 and you are gaining little quality for a lot of file size. How does his file sizes compare to yours?

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I am in shock right now. I've lost/misplace my external HD and cannot find it.

It was my wife's birthday two weeks ago. We stayed in a local hotel on the beach. I know for a fact I had it then, and I am 95% certain I put it back in the computer bag when we were packing up, it would have been the first thing to go into the bag. Now I can't find it... I've torn most of the house apart, the entire desk area, I called the hotel, nothing was turned in from that room.

Not only was it my movie HD, but it had pictures on it and my Time Machine. That NAS is looking pretty good right about now, unfortunately I don't have the cash for it.

Still hoping the wife tucked it away in some random corner or drawer because she wanted it off the desk. Problem is she gets in these cleaning frenzies and moves stuff without looking at what she is moving. So when I ask her if she has seen it the typical response is "No, why would I move that?" And then I find it and she says "Oh yeah... I remember now...."

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I am in shock right now. I've lost/misplace my external HD and cannot find it.

It was my wife's birthday two weeks ago. We stayed in a local hotel on the beach. I know for a fact I had it then, and I am 95% certain I put it back in the computer bag when we were packing up, it would have been the first thing to go into the bag. Now I can't find it... I've torn most of the house apart, the entire desk area, I called the hotel, nothing was turned in from that room.

Not only was it my movie HD, but it had pictures on it and my Time Machine. That NAS is looking pretty good right about now, unfortunately I don't have the cash for it.

Still hoping the wife tucked it away in some random corner or drawer because she wanted it off the desk. Problem is she gets in these cleaning frenzies and moves stuff without looking at what she is moving. So when I ask her if she has seen it the typical response is "No, why would I move that?" And then I find it and she says "Oh yeah... I remember now...."
Big lesson learned. I feel for you as I lost about 3 years of photos and financial data when my drive failed. But you don't need an expensive NAS, although that would be very nice to have. You need to: 1) leave critical drives at home, 2) have a backup drive, 3) actually do a backup, and 4) have a smaller portable drive (maybe 500GB) to take with you. Movies are always replaceable, you can always start over with TC. But personal items are impossible to replace.

Lecture over. ;)

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Yeah, I know and understand. But again, all those issues are solved with money.

$100 an external.

So in my reasoning I'm thinking, why spend $300 on externals when I could save that $300, save up another $300 and buy a NAS. But I haven't been able to get that $600 yet. I really hope one of the kids took it off the table or the wife moved it. I'll be doing an extreme search of the house very soon so I can try and get to the bottom of this. My kids are 4, 2, and 5 months, so asking the oldest wouldn't really give me any good answers as to if she or her sister did take it or not.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah, I know and understand. But again, all those issues are solved with money.

$100 an external.

So in my reasoning I'm thinking, why spend $300 on externals when I could save that $300, save up another $300 and buy a NAS. But I haven't been able to get that $600 yet. I really hope one of the kids took it off the table or the wife moved it. I'll be doing an extreme search of the house very soon so I can try and get to the bottom of this. My kids are 4, 2, and 5 months, so asking the oldest wouldn't really give me any good answers as to if she or her sister did take it or not.

I think you overestimate the cost. Just leave the drive with the movies, photo's and TM at home (we may be talking about future drive, I guess). Buy 2 WD 500GB passport HD's ($80 each) and use one to back up everything but the movies and TM (I use SuperDuper which makes the drive bootable in case you have a system failure). Backup once a month. Use the 2nd drive as your "portable and transfer stuff you would like to take with you onto it.

Not saying a nice big NAS isn't great to have, but that is off in the future. You just need to make sure you don't lose irreplaceable stuff...now.

End of lecture #2.:D

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I think you overestimate the cost. Just leave the drive with the movies, photo's and TM at home (we may be talking about future drive, I guess). Buy 2 WD 500GB passport HD's ($80 each) and use one to back up everything but the movies and TM (I use SuperDuper which makes the drive bootable in case you have a system failure). Backup once a month. Use the 2nd drive as your "portable and transfer stuff you would like to take with you onto it.

Not saying a nice big NAS isn't great to have, but that is off in the future. You just need to make sure you don't lose irreplaceable stuff...now.

End of lecture #2.:D

My external was a WD Passport 1TB. My internal HDD for the MBP is 750GB. I don't know if a 500GB is enough to do backups. The other external was almost full and over half of it was backups.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
My external was a WD Passport 1TB. My internal HDD for the MBP is 750GB. I don't know if a 500GB is enough to do backups. The other external was almost full and over half of it was backups.

You're wanting to backup everything...and that can be expensive. Also, partition your disk for TM so that you limit it. It will grow to the space given to it. How often to we need to go back 2 years to retrieve something?

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Hopefully getting cash towards a new iMac this Christmas, at least that's what the in-laws have hinted towards. I'm thinking 27" with the i7, can't wait to encode a Blu-Ray and see how many FPS it will process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.