Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Thinking 6 months in advance. But I want to pay $99 for ipad 3 (new ipad) battery replacement even though it's under warranty.

Is this possible? I assume they are still giving iPad REPLACEMENTS (refurbs) with each battery exchange?

Reason is fairly obvious. I got a couple of nicks on the corners and it's starting to drive me crazy. Nothing major. But I like my new iPad perfect. My kid has my ipad 2 in a griffin military case and it's fine. But I use a super thin case and somehow I have noticed 2 minor dings on the top edges of new ipad.

So will Apple let me request a battery replacement even if it's under warranty? Cause Apple will send out a replacement ipad with a battery replacement (unless they changed their policy that I didn't know about.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What? Dings on the iPad and you want to replace the battery? Color me lost.
You can pay to have your iPad battery replaced if that is what you want. I don't understand the concept here, but that won't change the dings ...

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
What? Dings on the iPad and you want to replace the battery? Color me lost.
You can pay to have your iPad battery replaced if that is what you want. I don't understand the concept here, but that won't change the dings ...

No, Apple apparently replaces the entire ipad if you send it in for a battery change. So you can a "fresh/refurb ipad" without any dings

http://gizmodo.com/5848784/how-can-you-get-a-fresh-ipad-for-100
(that's a 2011 article)

And here's the original 2010 article
http://mashable.com/2010/03/15/ipad-battery-replacement/

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Thinking 6 months in advance. But I want to pay $99 for ipad 3 (new ipad) battery replacement even though it's under warranty.

Is this possible? I assume they are still giving iPad REPLACEMENTS (refurbs) with each battery exchange?

Reason is fairly obvious. I got a couple of nicks on the corners and it's starting to drive me crazy. Nothing major. But I like my new iPad perfect. My kid has my ipad 2 in a griffin military case and it's fine. But I use a super thin case and somehow I have noticed 2 minor dings on the top edges of new ipad.

So will Apple let me request a battery replacement even if it's under warranty? Cause Apple will send out a replacement ipad with a battery replacement (unless they changed their policy that I didn't know about.

The catch is that you will actually have to have a bad battery for them to do the replacement.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Perhaps if you take it to a store to let them inspect it first they'll let you add AppleCare for it. Would be a shame to have it slip off a table a few times and break the screen/dent the back.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
The catch is that you will actually have to have a bad battery for them to do the replacement.

Their standard is that anything less than 50% of factory battery spec will get your iPad replaced under warranty. I have to assume the out-of-warranty standard is the same.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

Oh great! Now people are going to start abusing the battery replacement policy so that us honest folk who eventually need a real battery replacement will have to jump through hoops and pay twice as much to get a new battery.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Oh great! Now people are going to start abusing the battery replacement policy so that us honest folk who eventually need a real battery replacement will have to jump through hoops and pay twice as much to get a new battery.

have not fear, Apple is going to check the battery to see if it meets their crtieria for a bad battery, before they replace it.

Last edited:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
have not fear, Apple is going to check the battery to see if it meets their crtieria for a bad battery, before they replace it.

They don't check battery if you are paying $99 plus taxes/shipping for it. Apparently they just "throw" your ipad into a bin along with other "defective ipads/bad battery ipads" and just ship you off a like new refurbished ipad that's already been tested.

If you read the article. That's what Apple does with ipad battery replacements. Takes too long in the chain of fixing things.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
They don't check battery if you are paying $99 plus taxes/shipping for it.

But they aren't going to LET you pay $99 for it if it's under warranty (which it most certainly is). They will take it in, test the battery and see that it's fine, note the dings you have on it, and then send it right back to you.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
They don't check battery if you are paying $99 plus taxes/shipping for it. Apparently they just "throw" your ipad into a bin along with other "defective ipads/bad battery ipads" and just ship you off a like new refurbished ipad that's already been tested.

If you read the article. That's what Apple does with ipad battery replacements. Takes too long in the chain of fixing things.

Actually the articles don't say that. One article says that if you walk in to an Apple store with a restored iPad then they "take your word for it." However, I'm fairly confident that applies only to out of warranty devices (in otherwise good shape). If you walk in with one still under warranty they're likely going to want to check it. The other article actually lists the exclusions delineated in the policy for rejecting battery replacements so they clearly don't just randomly throw them in a bin.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
I hope you dont get away with it but since its most likely gonna get tested, you probably wont. This is getting better and better one guy wants to rent a mac another one wants a new ipad for some nicks and dims....

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I'm sorry but this makes no sense. You're willing to chance getting a refurb iPad with a potentially bad screen to not have a dinged back shell? Many of the refurb iPads get returned originally due to customer dissatisfaction with dead pixels or light bleed. If apple deems the problem within their acceptable allowance of imperfection then they will simply recondition the back shell and sell as refurb. Surely you would rather have an iPad you are pleased with the screen on than risk getting a worse screen for a fresh back shell?

I also like to keep my belongings in great condition, but once the blemishes have happened I find that Im often relax over time and enjoy the product more. I certainly enjoy driving my 97 truck vs my wife's 2011 SUV because I can park next to any door dinging ***** I want within out fretting the whole time I shop (so far one year we've had it and not a single ding or scratch).

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I'm sorry but this makes no sense. You're willing to chance getting a refurb iPad with a potentially bad screen to not have a dinged back shell? Many of the refurb iPads get returned originally due to customer dissatisfaction with dead pixels or light bleed. If apple deems the problem within their acceptable allowance of imperfection then they will simply recondition the back shell and sell as refurb. Surely you would rather have an iPad you are pleased with the screen on than risk getting a worse screen for a fresh back shell?

This post doesn't really make sense. You generally have 90 days warranty for refurbs. If someone believed their unit had a defective display and Apple then accepted it for replacement why wouldn't they again accept it if it hasn't been corrected?

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
This post doesn't really make sense. You generally have 90 days warranty for refurbs. If someone believed their unit had a defective display and Apple then accepted it for replacement why wouldn't they again accept it if it hasn't been corrected?

If the OP is trying to use the battery replacement procedure as a way of getting a replacement iPad, will they have the same ability to request a different unit (my argument is based on fact that Apple has allowable limits of imperfection; I.e. X amount of pixels may be stuck or dead). The OP is obviously not buying a refurb outright.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008

I don't understand OP either. Giving up a perfectly working iPad for a refurbished unit, which will potentially have some nicks and dings as well or dead pixels or bad screen colors and certainly an used battery as well.

People return iPad for a reason, (maybe the same reason just like OP uses), it will be the luck of the draw to get a refurb unit in perfect condition.

Last edited:

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I don't understand OP either. Giving up a perfectly working iPad for a refurbished unit, which will potentially have some nicks and dings as well or dead pixels or bad screen colors and certainly an used battery as well.

People return iPad for a reason, (maybe the same reason just like OP uses), it will be the luck of the draw to get a refurb unit in perfect condition.

None of this is accurate. You will not get a damaged unit in exchange and certainly not one with a used battery.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
None of this is accurate. You will not get a damaged unit in exchange and certainly not one with a used battery.

But a refurb unit came from customers returns, and why did the customer return it in the first place? Because of something he/she didn't like about it (just like OP). Therefore, it's hard to get a refurb unit in perfect condition.

Last edited:

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
But a refurb unit came from customers returns, and why did the customer return it in the first place? Because of something he/she didn't like about it (just like OP). Therefore, it's hard to get a refurb unit in perfect condition.

You're missing something. "Refurbished" products from Apple are tested, repaired where necessary and given a brand new battery and rear shell. They are restored to "like new" condition. They don't just take somebody's returned item and give it to the next person who walks in the door.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
OP here. First of all I don't have a trashed iPad. There are zero scratches front/back/bezel.

With the exception of two small dents (probably 2 cm on upper left and 1 cm on upper right). That's it. No dents or dings anywhere else on iPad.

I figure I would just pay $99 for iPad battery replacement (say one day after warranty expires) and apple would "replace battery" with whole new battery encased in refurbished iPad (without any dings).

From the articles I have read. That's how apple "replaces iPad batteries for $99"

So why not? Batteries degrade over time anyways. Why not pay $99 for new battery especially if apple essentially give u perfect iPad (refurb) anyways with the $99 battery exchange.

It's apple's way of doing the out of warranty battery exchange. I am totally within apple's policy (I guess I will wait till day 366 sp it will be one day out of warranty.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
So if I understand, you want to spend $99 to fix a dent when new back panels can be had for under $50?

Okay :confused:

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
OP here. First of all I don't have a trashed iPad. There are zero scratches front/back/bezel.

With the exception of two small dents (probably 2 cm on upper left and 1 cm on upper right). That's it. No dents or dings anywhere else on iPad.

*SNIP*

Stop right there. You don't need a new iPad. If two 'small' dents are there, you really should stop being so obsessive. Get a better case that covers them up instead of abusing the battery replacement policy. (And yes, it is abuse. Even though you want to pay $99 for it, Apple still loses money.)

You are being ridiculous.

For those who don't understand he wants an entirely new iPad because of two 'small' dents.

mouthster

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
Try to not look at the back your iPad while you "use" it and maybe the problem will go away.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
...It's apple's way of doing the out of warranty battery exchange. I am totally within apple's policy (I guess I will wait till day 366 sp it will be one day out of warranty.

A battery which YOU DO NOT NEED yet!

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
instead of abusing the battery replacement policy.
OP is not abusing the battery replacement policy. He is paying Apple too much money to replace his working battery.

He could just buy Apple Care for $50. Towards the end of the 2nd year, starting to abuse his battery by draining it to 0% constantly to make his iPad qualify for the free replacement (iPad battery must drop below 50% of its original capacity).

But OP was insisting on paying Apple $100 for a new battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.