Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Such irony from such a clear space cadet

Not withstanding the fact these guys had to fly craft at speeds and in places pretty much unexplored. Oh and they had to be in superb physical condition. And to have courage and nerve beyond compare. And be able to calculate angles of trajectory, periods of engine burn, yaw pitches etc etc

What have you ever done with your life? He was the first man on the moon. Match that, son.

Why are you having a pop at me when I am hailing these men for their bravery and calling them heroes?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Farewell Neil Armstrong

I was in a Gap clothing store when I heard the news, so it seemed fitting that they had this display:

Attachments

• armstrong.jpg
    armstrong.jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 123

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
He really went where no one else had gone before.

And haters, there's a little more to it than sitting in a rocket. You have to know every single thing about everything in your spacecraft, you have to learn how to fly it perfectly, I can't even begin the list what you have to do as an astronaut.

Yeah, manually landing the lunar lander onto another planet , EASY.

Its a shame, a football player, or CEO, or a singer dies. The entire country flips out in mourning. But when a real hero, you actually did something very few people were willing to do, much less able to do passes away. No one cares. God Bless America.

" So how do you feel about flying to the moon? Then walking around on it? Oh yeah, you'll go through about 10 years of very intensive training, ride millions of gallons of explosives, go 500,000 miles in a week at speeds exceeding 18,000 miles an hour, land an untested spacecraft, without the aid of any computers on another planet, then you'll get out, walk around, collect samples, then strap yourself into another bomb, and fly back to earth. Oh yeah, you'll probably die "

Of course, he said yes.

----------

:rolleyes: Nothing heroic about him. He did not build the rocket he went for a ride. He did not build the suit, he just wore it. He did not create the moon, just walked on it. Anyone could have done the exact samething he did. He just got the seat.

So, what have you done with your life again?

Yeah, its a little more than sitting in a seat ( see above ).

Astronauts of the time didn't just sit in a seat, lots of them, especially the Apollo program astronauts. Lots of them helped test, design, develop and fine tune everything that made it happen. Astronauts still do things like that, its not sit a seat and enjoy the ride kinda deal.

" We choose to go to the moon and do the other thing. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard "

Last edited:
Reactions: kironin

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Neil Armstrong wasn't just some brave guy who was willing to go. Space flight is dangerous, but there are still thousands of people who would go to the moon even with a slim chance of returning. Armstrong wasn't the first person to walk on the moon just because he was brave, he was the first because he helped make it happen. It was Armstrong (and the other astronauts) who flew the test aircraft, field tested the systems, helped engineer the spacecraft, and learned how to fly it. Even though most of the tributes you see will be praising the Armstrong for being willing to fly in a tiny capsule atop a giant explosive rocket, that isn't what makes him a hero. It's the fact that he was the final link in the long chain of engineers and scientists who made the moon landing happen.

Sadly as an aviation nerd all of my heroes are in their 80s now because 1969 was the last time humanity took a 'giant leap'. I anxiously await the next one.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Thanks Neil, I love to see stories about NASA and the journey you and your team did for us. Watching your first step, listen to your first words.
I can see it again and again; it's inspiring.

A brave man, part of a big team.

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Sitting outside on the garden and watching the growing moon ... Thinking about what a nice time Neil must have had. Discover a new world. Where no one else went before ... And not many after.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Gawker posted this screen capture, bad bad mistake:

That was very funny :D

I was at a free outdoor concert/festival from noon to 9pm and out of communication with the internet so I didn't know about his passing till this morning. I just happen to look at the moon that evening and think about the moon landings and other space explorations without knowing the sad news of the day.

Buzz Aldrin has a wonderful, moving, eloquent and poignant statement.

I am deeply saddened by the passing of my good friend, and space exploration companion, Neil Armstrong today. As Neil, Mike Collins and I trained together for our historic Apollo 11 Mission, we understood the many technical challenges we faced, as well as the importance and profound implications of this historic journey. We will now always be connected as the crew of the Apollo 11 mission to the moon, yet for the many millions who witnessed that remarkable achievement for humankind, we were not alone.

Whenever I look at the moon I am reminded of that precious moment, over four decades ago, when Neil and I stood on the desolate, barren, yet beautiful, Sea of Tranquility, looking back at our brilliant blue planet Earth suspended in the darkness of space, I realized that even though we were farther away from earth than two humans had ever been, we were not alone. Virtually the entire world took that memorable journey with us. I know I am joined by many millions of others from around the world in mourning the passing of a true American hero and the best pilot I ever knew. My friend Neil took the small step but giant leap that changed the world and will forever be remembered as a historic moment in human history.

I had truly hoped that on July 20th, 2019, Neil, Mike and I would be standing together to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of our moon landing, as we also anticipated the continued expansion of humanity into space, that our small mission helped make possible. Regrettably, this is not to be. Neil will most certainly be there with us in spirit.

On behalf of the Aldrin family, we extend our deepest condolences to Carol and the entire Armstrong family. I will miss my friend Neil as I know our fellow citizens and people around world will miss this foremost aviation and space pioneer.

May he Rest in Peace, and may his vision for our human destiny in space be his legacy.
BUZZ ALDRIN

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
That was very funny :D

I was at a free outdoor concert/festival from noon to 9pm and out of communication with the internet so I didn't know about his passing till this morning. I just happen to look at the moon that evening and think about the moon landings and other space explorations without knowing the sad news of the day.

Buzz Aldrin has a wonderful, moving, eloquent and poignant statement.

He left out the part where they found the Transformer's ship...

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Sitting outside on the garden and watching the growing moon ... Thinking about what a nice time Neil must have had. Discover a new world. Where no one else went before ... And not many after.

This is to true.

As Star Trek would tell you " To Boldy Go where No Man has gone before "

Those guys actually did.

----------

:rolleyes: Nothing heroic about him. He did not build the rocket he went for a ride. He did not build the suit, he just wore it. He did not create the moon, just walked on it. Anyone could have done the exact samething he did. He just got the seat.

Yes, im sure you coulda handled it. You probably test flew tons of aircraft to get to that point, you probably helped engineers solve problems, you probably built some of the spacecraft yourself, went though years of training, then flew an untested spacecraft onto another planet, with no computers.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I like the request by Neil Armstrong's family:

"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."​

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I was so disconnected from the world this weekend that I somehow missed this until this morning! :(

Very sad news, RIP. :(

Definitely a hero and a pioneer, not just here at home, but around the world.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009

Maybe take a look at some of the things he did. He was an engineer that worked on several things for NASA and the predecessor of NASA (NACA).

What do you mean he turned his back on his town? Just curious. Did he come back and tear up the place. Or did he just never come back because he was out and about in the world doing things. People move on majority of the time.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

You are entitled to your opinion regarding him, but the post above shows some factual, um, "issues".

As others have pointed out, he didn't fly the rocket - he helped to design it. And... in those days of slide rules, he actually piloted the lander.

One thing that the others haven't mentioned yet.... without the years of physical training he and his crew had, the launch g-forces may have killed them. So, no... he didn't just go on a ride... he earned his spot.

ShamrockSolace

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
Rolling eyes was a mistake. Neil Armstrong did an outstanding thing. It is hard to correct oneself with such feedback. Meant to say he was an important member of that team. More important than anything I have done or will due. I made a mistake and will never atone for such callous grievance. Still thinking of this mistake almost 4 years later. The internet will never forget or forgive. Allah Akbar baby!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.