Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doggonit

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
There is no way in hell Intel Graphics will be able to push that display and provide a good experience. Hell, the Nvidia 6-Series graphics on the 15in MacBook Pro with Retina display is just barely suffice.

:apple:

You clearly have not even a shred of a clue as to what a 15" rMBP is like. There is no lag on the integrated graphics processor and the 650m is more than sufficient. Ignoramuses like you make the sheeple think that the rMBP is barely able to run.

----------

and the HD4K will run this insane res on the 13inch?
Seeing that it can drive the 2880x1800 15" without any problems, yes.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
I've been waiting for this, and my credit card is standing by. A 13" rMBP and a Thunderbolt display might actually replace both my MBP and the Dell XPS laptop...

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
This is what we wanna hear

First Scared of Price Range:(
Second - size, weight:confused:
Third - the power has to be awesome, graphics card, cpu etc:rolleyes:
Last - Christmas is gonna be HOT :D if this Badboy:cool: drops in october

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
You clearly have not even a shred of a clue as to what a 15" rMBP is like. There is no lag on the integrated graphics processor and the 650m is more than sufficient. Ignoramuses like you make the sheeple think that the rMBP is barely able to run.

----------

Seeing that it can drive the 2880x1800 15" without any problems, yes.

That's because yours is on 2.6 i7 and 16GB of RAM:D. I got the same spec on the non-Retina as well and 70 FPS in standard resolution gaming is not difficult, although it struggles a bit on HD gaming.

It seems to me the CPU is more important than the GPU that the machine has. That 2.6 i7 is a nuclear weapon, while the 2.3 i7 may struggle to keep up with the high res display.

chrslbrt

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
That's because yours is on 2.6 i7 and 16GB of RAM:D. I got the same spec on the non-Retina as well and 70 FPS in standard resolution gaming is not difficult, although it struggles a bit on HD gaming.

It seems to me the CPU is more important than the GPU that the machine has. The 2.3 i7 may struggle to keep up with the high res display.

I have the 2.3 and have 0 issues. My CPU barely breaks a sweat.

iDerp

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
Please stick in a discrete graphics card and allow scaling to 1680x1050...please...

Then it will literally be the laptop I have been waiting for apple to make since forever. Super portable (13"), excellent screen, super powerful (i5, 8GB RAM, SSD, discrete graphics.)

This!

But i don't expect a discrete gpu. Even though they will drop the superdrive, they will need a bigger battery (like in the rmbp), so there is not enough space to cool a dgpu. And they would have to sell it for more, which may come too close to the 15".

But let's hope :D

chrslbrt

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Is it me, or is a dual core, intel graphics retina 13 in just a fat MacBook pro?

Stronger processor or not, most programs that actually need processing power would be better served by a quad core anyways.

Most music/video editors don't get the 13 inch pro because it can't really handle their workload. If the specs are what they're saying, then much won't change.

So why call it the MacBook pro, after all of the work that they've done to distinguish the new retinas as "professional" machines?

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
I can see them slimming the 13" model down as they did with 15".

I mean their roadmap seems pretty clear to me:
- Macbook Airs will be what Macbooks/iBooks were: Apple's consumer laptops with low pricetags
- Macbook Pro's w/ Retina display will probably drop the "Retina" part and will be Macbook Pro's in 13" and 15" variants aimed at power users

So yeah, I don't see MB Airs getting Retina displays, at least not for few years, the reasons behind this are: price, battery, market.

I think 13" MBPr will be underpowered as classic 13" MBPro - it is sort of "Pro" laptop (you can edit HD videos on it, do Photoshop work) but there is always one thing missing - beefier CPU or dedicated GPU (depends on person).
My prediction: dual-core CPU, integrated GPU, 4GB RAM BUT I can see them cramming at least SSD in there since the new redesign doesn't count on moving platters.

The price will come down, just like it did with Airs but now, it'll probably be more expensive that classic 13" MBPro.

Classic unibody Macbook Pro's will stick around for a year or so, then they might get rid of them (or move 13" model to educational store) and drop the price to match it.

----------

So why call it the MacBook pro, after all of the work that they've done to distinguish the new retinas as "professional" machines?

Pro's on budget. College kids studying digital arts who work with AV applications.

The 13" has proved to be very succesful because it's cheap and you can do a lot of stuff on it (albeit with some limitations). 13" MBP was my first Apple computer and I loved it (until my needs were bigger).

The great thing about unibody MBPs is/was their expandability, you can easily cram SSD and 16 gigs of RAM in there for low price now. With new models, they'll probably lose this advantage.

Let's just hope they will at least offer more RAM as BTO like they do with Airs, but for 16 gigs.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
If it has say a 630, 640 LE or similar GPU in it ill sell my 2012 13" MBA and get the 13" rMBP.

Last edited:

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I can see them slimming the 13" model down as they did with 15".

I mean their roadmap seems pretty clear to me:
- Macbook Airs will be what Macbooks/iBooks were: Apple's consumer laptops with low pricetags
- Macbook Pro's w/ Retina display will probably drop the "Retina" part and will be Macbook Pro's in 13" and 15" variants aimed at power users

So yeah, I don't see MB Airs getting Retina displays, at least not for few years, the reasons behind this are: price, battery, market.

I think 13" MBPr will be underpowered as classic 13" MBPro - it is sort of "Pro" laptop (you can edit HD videos on it, do Photoshop work) but there is always one thing missing - beefier CPU or dedicated GPU (depends on person).
My prediction: dual-core CPU, integrated GPU, 4GB RAM BUT I can see them cramming at least SSD in there since the new redesign doesn't count on moving platters.

The price will come down, just like it did with Airs but now, it'll probably be more expensive that classic 13" MBPro.

Classic unibody Macbook Pro's will stick around for a year or so, then they might get rid of them (or move 13" model to educational store) and drop the price to match it.

----------

Pro's on budget. College kids studying digital arts who work with AV applications.

The 13" has proved to be very succesful because it's cheap and you can do a lot of stuff on it (albeit with some limitations). 13" MBP was my first Apple computer and I loved it (until my needs were bigger).

The great thing about unibody MBPs is/was their expandability, you can easily cram SSD and 16 gigs of RAM in there for low price now. With new models, they'll probably lose this advantage.

Let's just hope they will at least offer more RAM as BTO like they do with Airs, but for 16 gigs.

4GB RAM by default won't be enough for rMBP, think about that the OS will occupy at least 1.5 GB of ram, then the integrated graphic may need 1.5 GB of shared system memory for VRAM (as seen in the property of HD3000), how much is left for the apps?

8GB will be the baseline as I believe.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Does the 13" model come with a discrete GPU because I can't imagine the intel chipset being able to handle that resolution without some serious negative side affects.

Heck my 15" rMBP with discrete GPU is often a little stuttery or laggy and that's with 1GB dedicated GPU, I could only imagine the impact on general performance with the integrated solution.

It kind of makes me feel it's too much of a trade off (nice screen, saddled with gpu that cant do it justice) and certainly a Rev A nightmare. Even my 15" rMBp feels decisively Rev A as is.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
come on.... quad core, 16gb ram, and decent graphics power! :)

Given the recent GeekBench scores allegedly for a 13" rMBP mentionning a dual-core CPU, there won't be a quad-core.

I don't think Apple has ever offered both dual- and quad-core options for a particular MBP model in the past, and as much as I would love to see it happen, I doubt they're going to do so now as it would lessen the appeal for the 15".

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England

It seems to me the CPU is more important than the GPU that the machine has. That 2.6 i7 is a nuclear weapon, while the 2.3 i7 may struggle to keep up with the high res display.

That's plain wrong, you're talking rubbish. I have the base 2.3 rMBP and it's a flying machine, no lag, no glitching of any kind. The 2.3 and 650m are massively powerful, easily runs the retina without even trying.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
I am rather tempted by a 13" retina macbook pro, to replace my 2010 Macbook Air.

However it would irk me that the default resolution is a 'retina' 1280 x 720 - when the default res is a 1440 x 900 on the 13" Air. I wish Apple could find a way to cram a 2880 x 1800 into the 13" but I know that's unlikely.

So... if I DID get one, I'd end up running it in one of the scaled modes like 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1200 (if available) or even setting it to it's native resolution with one of those switching scripts/utilities.

Scottie

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Hopefully with matte display option. It is a serious health and productivity issue for millions of people. Google MacMatte.

Get a life, honestly. Every MacBook post "Blah blah blah, Google MacMatte". Have you even seen the retina display? Absolutely minimal reflectiveness and this is coming from someone who used a 17" AntiGlare MBP until a few weeks ago.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Really hoping for a Retina 13" Air soon :(

'Retina' will remain a premium selling point for Pro products. It's also how the MBA's can be cheaper in the foreseeable future than the pricier MBP's.

Although for cost reasons it won't make it into the iMacs, it'll probably make its way into the Cinema Display because the price can be justified.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
The only thing I really want to see is an (even more) simplified product line. I'd like to see something like this as the end goal:

Retina displays across the board.

11" MBA
-dual core processor
-integrated graphics

13" MBA
-step up dual core processor
-step up integrated graphics

13" MBP
-quad core processor
-dedicated graphics

15" MBP
-step up quad core processor
-step up dedicated graphics

The MBA and MBP lines need to be distinguished from each other, otherwise there's too much overlap in the 13" models. IMO this would be the best way to do it.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
4GB RAM by default won't be enough for rMBP, think about that the OS will occupy at least 1.5 GB of ram, then the integrated graphic may need 1.5 GB of shared system memory for VRAM (as seen in the property of HD3000), how much is left for the apps?

8GB will be the baseline as I believe.

Maybe you're right but don't forget that current Mac Mini's have HD3000 and they have no problem driving 27" Thunderbolt display which happens to have same resolution as this alleged 13" MBPr.

I saw the base model with 2gig RAM driving that display and unless you launched no more than browser, iTunes and Mail it behaved quite snappy. So 4gigs should do the job (the same graphic card is able to drive MBAir to ATB display as well).

Now it'll be faster than that because it will also have HD4000 which is a huge increase to HD3000 and when you add SSD drive there should be no lag. 2560x1440 isn't such a huge number so I see no problems there. Of course playing 3D games at that resolution won't be really possible.

----------

The only thing I really want to see is an (even more) simplified product line. I'd like to see something like this as the end goal:

Retina displays across the board.

11" MBA
-dual core processor
-integrated graphics

13" MBA
-step up dual core processor
-step up integrated graphics

13" MBP
-quad core processor
-dedicated graphics

15" MBP
-step up quad core processor
-step up dedicated graphics

The MBA and MBP lines need to be distinguished from each other, otherwise there's too much overlap in the 13" models. IMO this would be the best way to do it.

Quad-core on 13" MBP? Dream on. It has been wish of many but it would seriously degrade the appeal of 15" for many (lots of folks buy those just because it has quad-core, not because of the screen).

Apple always maintains that "one thing missing" in their base product line.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
I have never found matte screen is comfortable for my eyes to read.

There. Are a great many people who feel the other way. That is why it should be offered as an option. Perhaps it should be anti-glare standard with an option to delete it.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
it seems that this new beast will destroy the sells of the regular 15" mbp..
------
As for most Apple users, this is quite an investment for me, and I def plan on keeping my next laptop for a minimum of 2 years.
if you find it hard to stick with a computer for at least two years, and struggle to afford a new one, because it's a huge investment, then you should find a better job. what do you need all this computing power for?

If this article pans out it look like that in 2013 the MacBook Family will comprise of 4 machines
What's gonna happen when that choice is eliminated next year?
they'll swallow it and choose among those 4 models, like the ones who are still waiting for a 17", or a powerbook G5.
exact reason why i now hate apple. (is mountain lion any better than SL? ahem. anyone? :p)
sometimes when i crave for a new macbook i remember myself i can't run SL on the new ones, and feel so happy about my 'old' mbp

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
i hope there's a new imac coming with that macbook, or sooner. Time to see some iMac rumors around here!

Mundty

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
This is what I like to hear. The 15" is a nice machine, but a little too large for my taste. 13" is the perfect size for everyday travel, and the better price point won't hurt either

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.