Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evopcat

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Stupid move

This is a really stupid move (if the reporting is right).

Apple needs to focus on optimizing overall long term profit. Not short term retail profit. Of course most MBA students are taught to optimize short term silos (along with platitudes that are ignored about other things). So it isn't surprising Apple may well fall down this foolish path.

Dis-respecting employees the way they did was extremely feeble. Extremely bad. You make errors fine. That kind of error show no respect exists for employees. That attitude can't be tolerated. Errors can.

This totally makes sense as Apple is struggling to make a profit. Give me a break. Glass cubes, giant stores in Grand Central Station, and architectural innovating buildings is not the way you go to maximize profits, and thats not the point of these highly successful retail outlets. Its shock and awe, its getting the products into the hands of consumers so they can "play" with them. To do this is to understand why Apple products are so successful. Nickeling and dimeing consumers is the surest way Apple can shoot themselves in the foot.

Tim, your consumers made Apple the biggest company in the world, and we fight the good fight for you all over the internet (there are no fans like Apple fans) but if you even give off the appearance that you are trying to increase your already sky high profits, then you risk it all sir. You should fire this douche Browett and quit worrying about retail stores profits. Their job is to showcase... obviously the profits will come.

Exactly. Showcasing not only the product, but the service and support behind the product. It all goes hand in hand. It's the Apple brand. If they ruin the service and support experience, then their toys simply become another product, albeit nice products, in a sea of similar consumer products. And the brand will suffer.

Steve could see the bigger picture...Cook and Browett I'm not so sure.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
For what it’s worth, we’ve been hearing on and off for years, under Jobs’ watch, about Apple Store pressure to sell “extras” like AppleCare. No commission—but still pressure. Experiences vary from visit to visit, but that doesn’t sound new to me.

the ironic part being that they lose money on both, especially One to One

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
Apple has gone to great lengths to maintain the main vision (Steve's vision) for Apple long after his passing, just look at the "Apple University" program. So then how do the top executives, Tim Cook being one of them, suddenly decide to go against the company values? And Cook was one of, if not the most trusted executive Jobs had. This story has a lack of sources and one reference to a single article which turned out to be greatly exaggerated. That leads me to have a lack of faith in it's validity.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I agree.
Although anything is possible, I doubt Tim's goal is to turn the stores into an average mall retailer. He would have to be a complete idiot to do so and I don't think he is. We'll see how things progress.

Alright.

Steve Jobs = Bill Gates.

Steve Balmer = Tim Cook.

Trust me, Balmer ran MS into the ground in a couple of ways, and Tim cook will do the same to do Apple.

Unlike Gates or Jobs, Tim Cook and Balmer are nothing more than bean counters, they care about maximizing every single dollar of profit, the customer be dammned.

hindmost

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
We're not in it to make tons of money. We're in it to make a quality product.

---Tim Cook

But Tim Cook perhaps does not realize the 'quality product' is not the final goal...it is the medium of exchange to customers making the purchase.

Happy customers purchase quality products. It's win-win and the key to Apple's success. The customer wins. The company wins.

Unhappy customers ill treated and badgered by an 'upsale' profit-centric sales force equals...................REMEMBER GATEWAY COMPUTER STORES? REMEMBER CIRCUIT CITY? REMEMBER COMPUSA? REMEMBER EGGHEAD?

Need I continue?

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
But Tim Cook perhaps does not realize the 'quality product' is not the final goal...it is the medium of exchange to customers making the purchase.

Happy customers purchase quality products. It's win-win and the key to Apple's success. The customer wins. The company wins.

Unhappy customers ill treated and badgered by an 'upsale' profit-centric sales force equals...................REMEMBER GATEWAY COMPUTER STORES? REMEMBER CIRCUIT CITY? REMEMBER COMPUSA? REMEMBER EGGHEAD?

Need I continue?

Awwww! I Miss egghead :( Its where I bought my first software program with my own money ( was a youngin, had to shovel a couple driveways to get money for it ) Sim City 2000 Deluxe CD Edition For Windows 95! My second hand 486DX2 . gift from my dad when the 1st MMX system came out, I got the 486, and that 486 DX2 made mincemeat of it ;) Think I paid almost 60 dollars for it :D I also bought Sim Ant and Sim Island, as well as Doom 1 and 2 from egghead :)

Though, several retailers, including Apple. Still follow " the no commission, customer experience comes first " EggHead model, when they still had actual stores.

Last edited:

ruvil

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2010
Alright.

Steve Jobs = Bill Gates.

Steve Balmer = Tim Cook.

Trust me, Balmer ran MS into the ground in a couple of ways, and Tim cook will do the same to do Apple.

Unlike Gates or Jobs, Tim Cook and Balmer are nothing more than bean counters, they care about maximizing every single dollar of profit, the customer be dammned.

True. Even though Apple has always tried to make a profit which does make a lot of sense since it's a corporation, Tim Cook's way is the wrong way.

H3nk387

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
These rumors if true are so depressing to read about. They can count on me and probably a ton of other loyal customers to be quick to switch if they're going to try to nickle and dime us at every possible turn.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
This just in: Apple is a corporation.

More as this story develops...

This is something typical with large companies when they run out of other ideas and start to become too top heavy. They thrive quite a lot in the early stages of things. The hardware and features aren't always the best, but they get people to buy it. It's different enough to be recognizable, their branding is exceptional, and they always pair dedicated software to the hardware they market. If the focus turns toward numbers, it means it's likely that they're short on ideas. The thing about new ideas for new product lines is that they move into them with little baggage. Note the comments over the upcoming iphone. They're carrying along a large number of apps that they don't want to orphan.

Pro users have been complaining for years. Its been quite obvious for a long time that Apple doesnt care about users who rely on their macs for their income but would rather cater to the technologically inept with the iToy line.

I've been considering alternatives, but there isn't a pressing need for me to switch this second.

Sigh. I knew I'd see posts like this.

Heres a site just for you: http://www.lavalife.com

Sometimes your posts are extremely funny.

nicwalmsley

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
Australia
There must be some serious tensions building up in Apple HQ

I just googled "jonathan ive money". Here are the top results:

Jonathan Ive: Apple's goal isn't to make money (Wired UK)
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/.../jonathan-ive-revenue-good-design
30 Jul 2012 - Apple's goal is not to make money, but to make good products, said Jonathan Ive, senior vice president of industrial design at Apple, speaking at the British ...

Jonathan Ive: Apple doesn't care about money, iPhone almost axed ...
http://www.digitaltrends.com/.../jonathan-ive-apple-iphone-ax... - United States
1 Aug 2012 - Despite Apple being worth nearly $600 billion and the iPhone being a major part in that, the company's chief product designer Jonathan Ive says that the.

Jonathan Ive, Apple Design Chief, Says Company's Goal Not To ...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/.../jonathan-ive-apple-money_n_1723662....31 Jul 2012 - Apple may be worth $539 billion, but design chief Sir Jonathan Ive insists the company isn't in the tech business for the green. “Our goal isn't to make money.

Sir Jonathan Ive: Apple's focus has never been on making money ...
http://www.metro.co.uk/.../906896-sir-jonathan-ive-apples-focus-has-never...31 Jul 2012 - Apple's design chief Sir Jonathan Ive who was behind the iPhone and iPad has claimed that the firm's guiding principle is to make 'great products'.

Apple not in it for the money, says Jonathan Ive | NDTV Gadgets
gadgets.ndtv.com/.../apple-not-in-it-for-the-money-says-jonathan-ive...1 Aug 2012 - Apple not in it for the money, says Jonathan Ive: Apple's Senior Vice President of Industrial Design, and the design guru behind iPod, iPhone and many...

Apple design chief: 'Our goal isn't to make money' - Telegraph...

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
It's called running a business. Apple needs to protect itself. Maximizing profit is the goal of business. period.

In my industry, companies come in, try to maximize profit, then, they crater. They look at my company, think I am doing everything wrong by focusing first, last and always on quality, they cut corners, drop their prices, get a bunch of volume for a short time, destroy their reputation, then they die.

Make sure you are earning enough to keep the doors open, then put the rest of your effort into quality. Focus on the long term, never the next quarter. When looking at the competition, don't worry about how much money they make, worry about what they do better than you. When you do this, you will win.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Browett is an ass, and maybe there's something to all this. But the article is completely un-sourced. Further it makes reference to a previous article as support, but that previous article turned out to be wildly exaggerated.

And yet MR doesn't point any of this out. Because they are bloggers not journalists, so telling the truth doesn't matterover page hits (wow it feels like they might be run by John Browett with that 'tude)

JeffLubowski

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
I am sure JC Penney's would gladly give Ron Johnson back to Apple. The guy is showing himself to be an incredible idiot as he runs that company into the ground.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'll know if there is shift in retail culture when I'm in a store and I get harassed.

However, until that time, I'll take these reports with a grain of salt. Apple reporting is loaded with sensational link bait to bolster site hits.

I was in the Apple store a few days ago, and I was treated exactly as I've always been, so I am not concerned...for now.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
It's the most frustrating thing in the world to watch the company you've served for four years, put your heart into doing well, dissolve into this. I hope they come to their senses and stop these mistakes.

Because that's exactly what they are.

I may know nothing about business, but I do know,
you don't put the dollar before the person.

I may not know much, but I know that.

Whhat? You served Apple? Did you work for them for free? And you say you know nothing of business (I believe u), but then you have some business strategy for them.

Apple is smart to do this. I was worried when Tim let's apple employees (the smart ones who work in headquarters) have days off near holidays. But now I see maybe he has sense, save money on these annoying genius and store employees. They annoy me at the store bc they don't know anything, just stand around and show some idiot to use trackpad right click. Lol

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
In order to achieve what? More profit? What for? What good is it?

What do you believe life is for?

I think you might be on the wrong site. Do a search for Philosophy, Metaphysics,
or Religion. Apple makes good products, but look elsewhere if you are looking for the meaning of life. ;)

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Speeding along the decline. Good job, Tim. Born on third, thought he hit a triple. Going to get out.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
"We're going to double-down on products leaks" -- Tim Cook

[look how serious he was about that second quote, too]

He couldn't be serious about it since he never said that quote

----------

Oh you reminded me of this!

When I purchased my rMBP, the staff pushed me so hard to buy AppleCare. :rolleyes:

And in a year when something breaks you'll wish you had paid the $349 to have that $900 repair covered

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand

Birone

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Wow to all the comments that the Apple stores were some sort of pristine refuge for the scrupulous pro mac user. They've always been annoying. You do eventually get a real genius, after wading through clueless teenagers, whom can seldom answer questions about the hardware inside.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
screen-shot-2011-10-14-at-12-18-48.png%3Fw%3D640

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.