Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I just got a case, the Speck SeeThru Satin case for my 2012 13" MacBook Air and it seems to add quite a bit of weight and I'm afraid that it might spoil my hinge. With the case on if I close my Mac at about 45 degrees it seem to fall by itself to the point of closing by itself . Without the case I can close the lid about like 5cm from the base before it closes by itself. I hope this makes sense? So now I worry that the case might spoil my hinge even as I put my Mac on my bed it opens wider. Anyone has this problem ? Should I stop using the case? I'm quite disappointed about this and I can't return it...

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
The weight of the case closing the computer is no different than the weight of your hand closing it.

As for it pulling the computer open more I can't say. Does it pull it open to the full extent of the hinge's movability? If so then it might be putting a little more stress on the hinge, but I seriously doubt the small amount of weight would make enough difference to cause damage.

I seem to remember the opening angle of the screen being about 135 degrees, so if you're not hitting that full angle there is nothing at all to worry about.

dpc

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
OC, CA
i had the same problem with the speck case. the upper shell that wraps around the screen was weighing it down, this was especially obvious at a 45 degree angle or lower. so i took it off. i'm just using the lower half now.

Urindanger

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
have no problems with my case. but is there anyone who has experienced that the case scratch MBA?

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I don't recommend the speck case. If you put it in wrong or after a long period of time, it will leave nasty marks and scratches on your MacBook. I learned the hard way. It's a lot better to get a sleeve. Unlike a phone, you don't really need permanent protection for the casing. Adds weight and hides the beauty of the air.

tsboy69

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
My 13" Mid-2012 screen will fold and hold to just above closing without closing by itself. Nice and tight....yet still opens with one finger lifting with the base staying put.

I likee

Urindanger

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
I don't recommend the speck case. If you put it in wrong or after a long period of time, it will leave nasty marks and scratches on your MacBook. I learned the hard way. It's a lot better to get a sleeve. Unlike a phone, you don't really need permanent protection for the casing. Adds weight and hides the beauty of the air.

but if you take it once a month and clean. can u keep it clean for scratches
then?

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I'm a big proponent of skins like icarbons (especially the brushed titanium finish).

They keep the original look, weight, and feel of the Air, without all of the downsides of cases. I just don't think the slightly increased protection of the hard cases are worth the downsides (look, weight, feel).

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
have no problems with my case. but is there anyone who has experienced that the case scratch MBA?

I had a Speck and an Incase shell and both marked my Macbook Pro. I would just rather Apple ditched the soft aluminium and tried something less fragile.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I decided to take out the case . I'm really OCD about scratches on my MacBook and didn't want to risk it. Thank God there isnt any scratches . Basically just threw 50 bucks into the bin...

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
I have a clear Speck on my mid-2011 11" Air and I have one on my late-2008 15" uMPB. I just got my Air this week, but I've had the MPB for a while, and the Speck has not added any scratches to it.

I think my Air looks really awesome with the Speck on it, too. :)

I need to find a keyboard cover/protector that I like for my Air now. I got an iVeil, and I do not care for it... My iSkin on my MPB was much nicer. The iVeil doesn't fit as well. Might try the Moshi next.

sillyrabbitt

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2009
i had a case called made by powersupport called "airjacket" on for a year and the MBA is in beautiful shape. the plastic cracks in places which bothers me but it does protect the mba. the plastic slides a little on the table/surface you have the mba on but its a great protective shield otherwise.

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
I'm not sure what people are doing wrong with the Speck shells. I've had the same black satin shell on my 2010 13" MBP for the past 2 years and it is spotless. I haven't taken it off the computer in over 9 months and it just now came off easily and my computer had no scratches/black marks/dents/bends like several people complain of.

My coworker has a 2009 15" MBP with a clear Speck shell and he has had the same experience as me. He travels a lot more with his laptop and has it out on photo shoots as well as airplanes, public transportation and sitting at coffee shops. I don't think I'm in the minority here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.