Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chiefo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
455 views and no one has an opinion?!

It worked really well as a trial...but the checkout page looked a little fishy. I was wondering if someone could weigh in about whether they thought it was a scam or not.

weemanpow3

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Just gave it a try. 720p mkv video. The quality is not great. It uses the computer to convert and stream at the same time.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
What looks "fishy" about the checkout site? Just pay with PayPal if you're concerned. If the software works then they'll probably just be sending you a code to unlock the trial version once they receive payment.

ageorgios

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
i like it

the app looks promising, but there are no updates to functionality for long time (a.k.a subtitles not working)

PsychicAnomaly

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Beamer App Review

IMHO this App is fundamentally Awesome and handily solves a major frustration in establishing an elegant Apple based media center on a home network (i.e. the inability to play most formats of digital video media).

In my setup I have an old MacBook Pro Core 2 duo with a 750 GB HDD running OSX 10.7 connected with a LAN cable to a Time Capsule (equally Airport Extreme or other Wifi router) A Mac Mini would be superior but this machine was spare following the purchase of a top of the line MBP. On this machine I have set Beamer as the default app for .AVI and .MKV and set up the free Team Viewer app (from the App Store) on this machine and the iPhone 4.

Now all I have to do is hit the Team Viewer App on the iPhone (from anywhere on the LAN or internet), pick the movie file i want to display and double click it - now it's on TV in superb quality via my Apple TV 3, voila c'est manifique! Better yet, once the movie is loaded on the Apple TV, the Apple remote works to pause/resume, FF and RW so no clumsy messing with gadgets interferes with the enjoyment of home cinema.

No jailbreak required (even were it available for the Apple TV 3 which it isn't at the time of writing) and no more hours of tedious re-encoding and moving of GBs of data just to get a video you already have into iTunes.

This is one of the few pieces of software I have ever come across where I would have actively sought out a way to financially contribute to the developer even if it was free. At EUR 7 or equivalent to license all of my machines it is super value and purchase was simple, with license key delivered instantly by link and email.

I can easily imagine this Beamer App is not on the App store because it is too useful in terms of sidestepping frustrating limitations imposed by Apple (and hence clearly off Apple's roadmap). I would say: grab it quick before the developers get hired by Apple and the whole thing disappears.

In the mean time I am excited to see what these guys do to build on this platform in terms of surround sound and subtitles.

5* superb.

Last edited:

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
This concept is great, please let me know if someone that has purchased this has gotten subtitles to work because most mkv files I have are foreign films for which I really need to have them working and timed right, etc.

biggitoker

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
I purchased the app. It works fine on "normal" files, but when an mkv file goes over a certain size, it will randomly lag. Sometimes it works fine for 16-120 minutes (in HD) but other times it will lag every 20 seconds or so.

Other than that, a fine application for your normal wear and tear .avi downloads when I cba to convert/add to iTunes library. 3.5/5 stars

RealEyes

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
Been using Beamer for a couple days now and it's so much better than AirPlaying movies to my Apple TV. For me, it's exactly what I wanted AirPlay to be, and more!

With this app, I can put the screensaver on my display or turn the display off while watching a movie. With AirPlay, I couldn't do that. This app is pretty cool. Works great.

testeri

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
Finland
I bought ATV3 so I could watch movies wirelessly from my iMac. Well that didn't work because mirroring results in jerky/jittery play, making the movie watching experience intolerable.

So I tried Beamer. As somebody said, it works just as mirroring SHOULD work. No frames skipped. As for encoding, I can't see any difference in quality. I don't think it does any...

Mr.Bullitt

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Depeding where I look - some places say Beamer only support stereo, other places says it supports surround - but both DTS and DD????

How is this app different than say PS3 Media Server?

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Just get AirVideo, it kicks the sh/t out of this. Plays any movie file instantly.. converts on the fly to instant play, can even do it remote. Been using it all weekend and its the best app ive got to accompany ATV3. Do it..

Mr.Bullitt

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Just get AirVideo, it kicks the sh/t out of this. Plays any movie file instantly.. converts on the fly to instant play, can even do it remote. Been using it all weekend and its the best app ive got to accompany ATV3. Do it..

Hmm. Does it work with my July 2009 MBP? I just found out that Apple's own desktop mirroring does not work with it :-(

I would also need support for Dolby Digital - DTS not required, but nice to have.

The site does not seem to claim that it works with Apple TV - just iphone, ipad...

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Hmm. Does it work with my July 2009 MBP? I just found out that Apple's own desktop mirroring does not work with it :-(

I would also need support for Dolby Digital - DTS not required, but nice to have.

The site does not seem to claim that it works with Apple TV - just iphone, ipad...

Ive got my APTV hooked up to my sound system via optical and it seems to playing DD though need to check that when i get home.

It works perfect with apple tv, I can put some screen vidcaps if you like?
All you do is play the video and click the airplay icon on the screen, cant get more simpler

Mr.Bullitt

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Ive got my APTV hooked up to my sound system via optical and it seems to playing DD though need to check that when i get home.

It works perfect with apple tv, I can put some screen vidcaps if you like?
All you do is play the video and click the airplay icon on the screen, cant get more simpler

That would be great - maybe also some screenshots of the app settings - I have PS3 media server and it have tons of settings to customize - I just wish that there was some official support for Apple Tv - seems a lot of other units are supported though :-(

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Bought it this week after trying the demo and must say that I was impressed with the ease of use, the video quality but less with the audio. One big MKV file wouldn't run, the rest were fine. Today updated to version 1.51, but haven't tried it. If they fix the audio to run codecs like DD 5.1 and DTS there is no need to jail break the ATV as far as I can see now. The only draw back is that it does't have library to store you files in, it has a simple drop box. On the other hand, this simplicity is also the charm.

----------

id rather just convert files to MP4 and hve them in my itunes library

For the movies you would like to see more often, I agree, but for one time view movies this is great (better) solution.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Well, I was skeptical, after trying out AirParrot, which was a totally worthless due to the lack of smooth video. So after so many posts about Beamer, I just had to give it a go. Unfortunately, it was marginally ok. Works fine, wirelessly for mkv's made from dvd (small 3-4GB file size and low nitrate) but continually buffered on mkv's from BR (30-40GB file size and high nitrate). When it does play, the video appeared to be smooth but the continual buffering makes it unusable. It also does not broadcast DD 5.1, only PCM stereo. Wired connections would probably help things out, but might as well use VLC if your wiring you aTV/computer/router all together.

It is usable if you are watching mkv's made from dvd's and sound is through the tv not an AVR. So there is a niche for it.

balcis

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2012
this is the only missing part for me under windows to buy an apple tv. i don't want to use air video via my ipad or iphone and consume their power for this while also my pc is converting videos. hope similar software comes for windows, too.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Works wery well with smaller files. I had some issues with my biggest movie, that's around 12 gbs. Other than that I'm really happy, beats airplay mirroring! No frames skipped.

I'm using only wireless though. So could be better with cabled network

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Beamer doesn't mirror the video, it just uses AirPlay to stream audio and video, clever little app, I use it, too.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
App works well on my 2011 iMac.

I use handbrake to convert my blurays and dvd's, and import into iTunes for permanent storage.

I use Beemer for those Avi and MKv videos that I receive that I just want to watch once and delete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.