Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

photoshop_cs6_icon-150x146.jpg

Adobe today provided a few more details on its plans for Retina display support on its software, noting that a Retina-compatible version of Photoshop CS6 will be arriving "this Fall". A Retina version of Lightroom 4 will also be delivered "as soon as the work is complete".
Supporting this new technology requires significant work by our product teams and we're committed to provided a free update to all Photoshop CS6 customers this Fall and Lightroom 4 as soon as the work is complete. Please note that Creative Cloud members will receive Photoshop updates more frequently and receive this update in advance of updates for non-members.
Users of Photoshop Elements should not expect a Retina update in the immediate future, although that team is still looking into adding support for it.

Adobe Photoshop was one of the high-profile applications highlighted by Apple at June's Worldwide Developers Conference as having Retina display support in the works. Adobe, Autodesk, and Blizzard were three major software companies Apple noted it had already been working with on Retina compatibility, but it is still taking some time for developers to make their applications fully compatible with the new ultra high-resolution display found on the Retina MacBook Pro.

Update 1:36 PM: A second blog post notes that Retina support will be coming to many more software titles than just Photoshop and Lightroom.
We expect to update the following products with HiDPI support, free to all CS6 and Creative Cloud customers, over the next few months:

Dreamweaver
Edge Animate
Illustrator
Lightroom
Photoshop
Photoshop Touch
Prelude
Adobe Premiere Pro
SpeedGrade

We are currently evaluating the roadmap for when other products may support HiDPI displays, and we will announce those plans as they are finalized.

Article Link: Retina Display Support Coming to Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 in 'Coming Months' [Updated]

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Adobe always takes forever to update and always has excuses. Just like they had excuses as to why it took forever to update Creative Suite for Mac to be 64-bit while they already offered it for Windows.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Awesome! But wasn't there an article about how this wasn't likely to happen, or am I crazy?

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Adobe always takes forever to update and always has excuses.

It;s like thier creative cloud connection, the desktop creative cloud client, when CS6 was released the said "in a few weeks" it's been over 4 months now and no sign that it's even close. so i'm taking "coming months" as it'll be part of CS7 and then the other apps with be retina in CS9

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Just Photoshop...?

We expect to update the following products with HiDPI support, free to all CS6 and Creative Cloud customers, over the next few months:

Dreamweaver

Edge Animate

Illustrator

Lightroom

Photoshop

Photoshop Touch

Prelude

Adobe Premiere Pro

SpeedGrade

We are currently evaluating the roadmap for when other products may support HiDPI displays, and we will announce those plans as they are finalized.

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativelayer/new-macbook-pro-retina-display-support/

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Adobe always takes forever to update and always has excuses. Just like they had excuses as to why it took forever to update Creative Suite for Mac to be 64-bit while they already offered it for Windows.

Because Apple suddenly switching from Carbon to Cocoa API's wouldn't have any influence would it.

Yes, it took them a little longer than we would have liked. But Apple pulled the rug right from under them with the change in API.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Because Apple suddenly switching from Carbon to Cocoa API's wouldn't have any influence would it.

Yes, it took them a little longer than we would have liked. But Apple pulled the rug right from under them with the change in API.
Suddenly? Apple was warned developer for several years that Carbon would be going away and that it was a stop gap measure to allow for quick ports to OS X in the beginning. It was never meant to be around forever.

They gave plenty of warning about it after depreciating it and that it would not be supported on 64bit systems in the future.
:rolleyes:
They started warning them about it back in the Leopard days already and we are now on Mountain Lion.

Last edited:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

I can't believe people are still replaying this excuse... Are you going to say the same thing when CS7 gets delayed?

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
It;s like thier creative cloud connection, the desktop creative cloud client, when CS6 was released the said "in a few weeks" it's been over 4 months now and no sign that it's even close. so i'm taking "coming months" as it'll be part of CS7 and then the other apps with be retina in CS9

Well, CS7 is over a year and a half away. Why would they announce that feature now?

CS 6.5 will be around NAB in April. Quite some time off as well, but I could see it being an across the board thing in 6.5.

Adobe doesn't usually do anything this big inbetween releases, but Apple may have pushed them to it since Premiere CS6 isn't exactly taking all the FCP 7 customers away like they hoped. Turns out FCP X is actually moving along quite nicely. And of course already has retina support.

Mikey7c8

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Montreal, Canada
This actually speaks quite well of the retina movement at large, and makes more of a case for Retina capable desktop monitors than ever before.

It's great to see. :)

I still hold out hope that Adobe will re-write Fireworks (CS5 was supposed to be the end of the line) but I do note that it's not in the list.

lesreaper2009

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
Adobe Haters

Why do people get down on Adobe so much? For crying out loud, they are the ONLY reason there are still macs even around after the travesty of the 90's. You should be on your knees praising them for not abandoning the platform and killing Apple when it was at it's weakest. You have Adobe therefore to thank for your iEverything.

Their software is pretty damn good now as well, even with an 18 month upgrade cycle. How many industries are they the standard for media?

Photoshop
Indesign
Illustrator

In the video world, unless you're doing studio films with Smoke or something along those levels, Premiere and After Effects are respectable as well.

None of the software is perfect, but let's see you design something without bugs for as many different uses and industries as they do their products and get them to work together.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Well, CS7 is over a year and a half away. Why would they announce that feature now?

CS 6.5 will be around NAB in April. Quite some time off as well, but I could see it being an across the board thing in 6.5.

Adobe doesn't usually do anything this big inbetween releases, but Apple may have pushed them to it since Premiere CS6 isn't exactly taking all the FCP 7 customers away like they hoped. Turns out FCP X is actually moving along quite nicely. And of course already has retina support.

I was mostly just being grumpy. adobe isn't that great with meeting their "projected release dates" like many software companies the marketing team says "when need to launch by this day" and then the development team then goes.. "oh guess we should start making the product then"

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
Those of us who paid outright are getting the shaft again. We've spent thousands on 2 Design & Web Premium licenses, Master Collection, and Design Standard licenses (between upgrades and new licenses) for CS6. For these thousands of dollars, Adobe has said that we are not worthy of getting updates as soon as they are ready (such as the Package tool for Illustrator and now HIDPI/Retina Support) because they are "exclusive" to Creative Cloud Members first, and with no timeline as to when or if they will be coming. Now, this one has said that it WILL be coming to non-CC customers, but later down the road, while the new things for Illustrator and other apps have no mention of them EVER coming to CS6 for those of us who bought it outright, and we'll have to pay for CS6.5/7 to get them.

Do the math, you end up paying more over time for Creative Cloud, particularly if you do Creative Cloud Team Ready, which is what we investigated. I liked it at first, and we did pick up one CCTR license instead of a new Master Collection license, but this crap is ridiculous.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011

Still better to the pros than Apple.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The question is: Will I be able to somehow get a retina display for my Mac Pro in the future?

Also, will it blend? Will Safari be snappier? Would Steve Jobs have allowed it?

----------

Still better to the pros than Apple.

I agree since Apple does not make any programs that compete with Adobe products other than Final Cut. I've used Adobe Premier, and it's just like Final Cut Express but much buggier and worse in general.

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
And that was years ago. So? What is the excuse?

The "excuse" is that Apple said it was coming with Leopard, they had highlighted it during WWDC, and it would have brought a quicker path to bring legacy code to 64-bit while Cocoa versions were being made. Here's an article from MacRumors. Then, suddenly... they removed all instances to its existence at the next year's keynote, saying Cocoa was only going 64-bit.

Edit: And some help from Gruber:
64-bit Carbon wasn’t promised to be coming “sometime”, like with, say, resolution independence. It was promised for 10.5.0. And it existed — developer seeds of Leopard up through WWDC 2007 had in-progress 64-bit Carbon libraries, and Adobe engineers were developing against them. Several sources1 have confirmed to me that Adobe found out that Apple was dropping support for 64-bit Carbon at the same time everyone else outside Apple did: on the first day of WWDC 2007.

If Apple had shipped Leopard with the 64-bit Carbon support promised at WWDC 2006, Photoshop CS4 would run in 64-bit mode on the Mac.

The unfortunate coincidence is that WWDC 2006 — when 64-bit Carbon was announced — was right around the time when Adobe was hitting the home stretch on CS3 and planning for CS4. (Photoshop CS4 is currently in beta testing, and so the CS4 suite is probably slated to ship soon-ish.) If Apple had announced then that the only 64-bit path was going to be Cocoa, would it have made a difference? It probably wouldn’t have made a difference for CS4, given that it was only nine months, but it would have saved Adobe nine months of wasted time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.