Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
iPod

Very aggressive time line.

Either Apple is ambitious or botched some of the launch plans (parts/screen delays)

every model launches in different date? it is going to be confusing!

guess what, very little money too many products!

but i am in for 21.5" iMac (or the current MBP 13" not the retina model) and mostly iPad mini.

I will wait for iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S is rocking well here.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Given that the "New iPad" was a compromise device with heat & thickness issues, giving it a 7 month lifespan would be less surprising than normal. They may use this opportunity to make sure their big mass consumer products launch just before the holidays, rather than just after them.

I agree, this new ipad could fill in the sept-oct release so in time for holiday.
releasing them in march every year really wouldn't make sense, especially when people would buy gifts of the previous gen ipad on nov-dec.

I find it extremely unlikely they'd make an iMac sandwich though. They'll either let the new 21" sit in China or launch the 27" with limited supply.

I don't know, its a possibility... I remember when the redesign unibody mbp in 2008, apple launched the 15" pro and 13" macbook (all unibody), but there was no 17" unibody and they still sell the old 17" with the all aluminum keyboard (old design). and on april/march 2009 (forgot which is it) apple launched the 17 unibody with non removable 1000 cycles battery.

So it is a possibility that Apple would not launch the imac's at the same time.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
I seriously doubt 21.5" and 27" iMac will be released separately. That would be extremely awkward. Unless it's a true redesign.

Candunc

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2012
Canada
Looks interesting, but where is the mac mini? And why is the iMac in two different spots, if the supply of 27 inch iMacs are dwindling already?

redirector

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
I'd like to see Retina and as for the GPU...2GB and Nvidia chipset and the GTX chipset, not the GT (and I think the iMac uses the notebook chipsets so it would have to be the 660M-680M).

I was disappointed with the MBP-R GPU only having a 1GB Nvidia 650GT. That was a deal breaker for me....otherwise I would have bought as soon as that thing went live...but for Graphics/AE/PSD, etc...no way can I just use a 1GB card..especially with that resolution it offers. Hopefully we have 2GB GPUs on it soon.

What kind of performance bump would your GPU provide vs the AMD Radeons? Actually vs what I have on my 2009 Mac, the ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB?

Katanae

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I could really use a 13" rMBP Today!

Seriously.
Me, too. And I think it was kind of dickish by apple not to say they were gonna release one later at WWDC, the last months consisted of debating whether to get an air or to wait for a possible 13" for me.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
I seriously doubt 21.5" and 27" iMac will be released separately. That would be extremely awkward. Unless it's a true redesign.

There is just no way that both aren't announced together. If it takes an extra 2-4 weeks to start shipping the 27", so be it. But there is no way the "select an iMac" web page includes a 2012 21" and a 2011 27". There is just no point. Everyone will know the 27" is around the corner and won't want to buy the old product at new prices when compared to the 21". Might as well just feed off the excitement and start taking pre-orders.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
There is just no way that both aren't announced together. If it takes an extra 2-4 weeks to start shipping the 27", so be it. But there is no way the "select an iMac" web page includes a 2012 21" and a 2011 27". There is just no point. Everyone will know the 27" is around the corner and won't want to buy the old product at new prices when compared to the 21". Might as well just feed off the excitement and start taking pre-orders.

Yeah I guess its not the first time availability is slim in the beginning of a product launch. retina macbook pro had problems delivering too...though that I guess was because of the extreme demand. So, I agre either they wait releaseing the 21,5" until 27 is ready or the release both with a longer delivery date on the 27. Doesn´t matter though, as long as I know I´ll get one :)

ymmit

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Lenexa, KS
Given that the "New iPad" was a compromise device with heat & thickness issues, giving it a 7 month lifespan would be less surprising than normal. They may use this opportunity to make sure their big mass consumer products launch just before the holidays, rather than just after them...

From that perspective, it does make a bit more sense for them to release an update to iron out some of those issues.

However, while it would be good for a holiday season, would it be better for year-round profits? Apple tends to use yearly update cycles for their iPad/iPhone line, and if they move the iPad update to the fall time-frame, they would likely continue to keep it there - just like they did for the iPhone. That would put their largest profit devices debuting during the fall, rather than being about 1/2 year apart. (Don't forget we might also see an iPad mini) I think having them in different quarters would yield higher profits for Apple during the year and make profits more stable throughout the year, which is good for investors.

poldidak

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
Stillwater, MN
I think we have to wait for October for the iPad Mini and I have no idea why the iMac27" would have to wait that long. So I think the release schedule stated may be closer to:

iMac21.5"
13"rMBP
iPodTouch4"
iPodNano2"
Mac-Mini
iMac27"
iPhone5
NewiPadUpdate
iPadMini

That's my guess. All by 10-20-12

Rocketman

Don't you think Apple would introduce the iPad Mini FIRST, since those who are still stuck (including myself) between the form factor of the iPhone/Touch and the iPad will want to wait to see how this new 7" size tablet will feel in our hands and decide if it's too big/small/just right?

I can't imagine Apple introducing an updated iPod Touch until after we've all had a chance to "yay" or "nay" the iPad Mini (I also can't imagine that the Mini is going to be anything less than a huge home run for Apple). Who would buy a Touch right now, unless they are going to substantially drop the price of the iPod in light of a lower competitive price point ($200?) for the iPad Mini and hope that parents buy the cheap Touches by the stocking full for their kids for the holidays.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
I don't think Apple would stagger the two iMac models. Releasing them at different times, but within a month of each other is overly complicated for advertising, website and store layout, and promotional materials in retail stand reseller's stores. I'd love for the 21.5" to appear in September (I'm after a refresh) but surely both iMac models would be released at once.

I know that a 13" retina MBP might be released, therefore after the 15" was, but there was more time between them. The ordinary 13" MPB was updated and refreshed too. If the 21.5" iMac is a refresh, and the 27" isn't (at first) then they'd look odd together on the website.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Don't you think Apple would introduce the iPad Mini FIRST, since those who are still stuck (including myself) between the form factor of the iPhone/Touch and the iPad will want to wait to see how this new 7" size tablet will feel in our hands and decide if it's too big/small/just right?

I can't imagine Apple introducing an updated iPod Touch until after we've all had a chance to "yay" or "nay" the iPad Mini (I also can't imagine that the Mini is going to be anything less than a huge home run for Apple). Who would buy a Touch right now, unless they are going to substantially drop the price of the iPod in light of a lower competitive price point ($200?) for the iPad Mini and hope that parents buy the cheap Touches by the stocking full for their kids for the holidays.

Another possibility is that they may simply want to get the iPad and iPad mini on the same schedule. A modest spec-bump (or unmentioned bug-fix) type improvement to the iPad would allow them to do that.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Apple's work on the iPad mini has reportedly been slowed by the adoption of a thinner and lighter "GF Ditto" touch structure. Apple is said to be the first company in the world to commercialize and mass produce the technology, but equipment transitions and yield issues have reportdly forced Apple into its October launch for the device.]

At this rate it wouldn't surprise me if iPad Mini doesn't get released this year. :( We'll get a ton of threads wondering if iPad Mini was just an elaborate vaporware invented by media.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I also don't understand where this rumor of updated dock connectors being done accross the range comes from. Apple never retrofits old models when introducing a new inter-connect. They keep selling the old one until those products get updated at the proper time.

And they provide an adaptor.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Agreed. It doesn't make any sense for Apple to release an update only 7 months later. I don't think we've ever seen that short of an update cycle from Apple (regarding the iDevices), with maybe the exception of the Verizon iPhone?

But if you think about it, Apple has never had a reason to retrofit current products, the dock connector has been around for nearly 9 years.

If I was new to the Apple ecosystem, bought an iphone 5 and ipad, if the ipad didn't have the new connector, I could see that really bothering people, and a big hoopla, like the antennagate coming about.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.