Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Obviously I don't want to seem completely cold and not give a damn about the people of the countries being affected however because hard drives are made primary in Taiwan, things could be affected.

I don't want to get started into my whole "buying American" thought process but moving some production over here wouldn't be so bad you know.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Actually no I wouldn't be affected. I think you read me incorrectly. I have no interest in hard drives. Solid state drives are where it's at and even still.

And I think you read me incorrectly. What I was comment on was the apparent greater concern for anyone being inconvenienced by the temporary shortage of HDDs, rather than a concern for the effects on the lives of the people of the Phillippines.

I'm happy it doesn't effect you personally. :rolleyes:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Again, reading me incorrectly. I believe in making factories all over the United States to help with jobs.

I was being slightly facetious.... :)

But you do raise the whole "why do Americans feel they have the right to the jobs, instead of earning them" question which has been thrashed over and over again on these threads.

If the US wants jobs, it has to earn them in a global free-market. Or it needs to give up the benefits of selling its goods into the global free-market if it also insists on giving up on the job mobility aspect of global free-trade.

The US still is the major exporter of goods into the free-market. Are you prepared to give up highly paid manufacturing jobs in exchange for low paid assembly jobs that will probably be done by robots instead of people in anycase?

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I'm happy it doesn't effect you personally. :rolleyes:

Admittedly my intention was cold, though I guess I was thinking with a business sense first since it happened last year.

If there was no flooding last year, I wouldn't have even created the topic.

purplealien

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2003
United Kingdom
Live here now (Philippines). We were rocked around in our condo for about 30 seconds. Longer than the one we had in February, but less intense.
Never experienced one in the UK, lol.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Can I donate directly to the Red Cross in Taiwan, and would they direct any of their humanitarian efforts towards electronics factories? :confused:

I laughed at this since I know it was kind of a zing but it was done in a way where I can take it in stride.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.