Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newheadphones2.jpg
Vietnamese site Tinhte.vn has posted a video of what it claims to be redesigned headphones for the new iPhone which is expected in September.

Update: Video was replaced. This one has no audio.​
The video shows the new headphones and compares them to the old headphones provided on the iPhone 4S. A translation of the video is provided below:
In my hands are the new earphones for the iPhone 5 that is about to come out - Apple's next generation of iPod [sic]. These will replace the current earphones that are on the market. These are manufactured at Phax Co factory in Vietnam. They have the appearance of a horse's head, not like earbuds. When they are worn, they have a much smaller profile. They have the appearance of a fully integrated, single unit - there's no part that looks like it would come apart - not like earbuds; the integrated design is characteristic of Apple products. Here I have the old earphones for comparison. The new ones are much smaller; when they are worn, they do not hurt the way earbuds do. You can see on the old ones the surface is a separate part that looks like it can be detached - not like the small surface of the new one. The old earphones were mostly made in China, with some in Vietnam. But the new ones are clearly made in Vietnam. (Reading from the wires): "Designed by Apple in California, assembled in Vietnam."
The site claims that the new headphones are manufactured in Vietnam which are also written on the cables themselves. According to Tinhte, the new headphones are being manufactured in a Foxconn plant in Vietnam.

DSCF8464.jpg
Though we can't vouch for the authenticity of the video, Tinhte.vn has been able to get a hold of pre-release and protoype Apple devices in the past.

In a blog post, Tinhte seems convinced the headphones represent an authentic Apple part:
All factors such as design, quality finishing materials fabricated wire, plastic body headphones are led to the conclusion this is genuine and not counterfeit headphones.
DSCF8461-500x312.jpg
Apple is widely expected to announced the next generation iPhone on September 12th.

Article Link: Video Shows Completely Redesigned Headphones for iPhone 5

pensoftware

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
Whoa! Those look pretty cool... but also weird at the same time. How do you even put them in?!

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
They look extremely uncomfortable, doesn't look Apple-like one bit.

Agreed...

Soo.. do we have enough parts to build our own iphone yet? All these leaks should get together and mail all their parts to gizmodo to put the phone together and see if it boots. haha

Ecofriend

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Agreed...

Soo.. do we have enough parts to build our own iphone yet? All these leaks should get together and mail all their parts to gizmodo to put the phone together and see if it boots. haha

Can't wait to see the new iPhone in one piece, I'm tired of little part leaks. :)

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
Spikes!

The spikes have been redesigned to be more painful? Less painful? Either way, probably not very good sound quality.

ClearBox

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
The headphones look nice, but I am getting so tired of these part leaks... I miss the times when I could be completely surprised during an Apple keynote.

Chief Pilot

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Complete Redesign

Hey!
There we go:
:apple:
"Completely redesigned Headphones"
:apple:

Yeeeehhaaa
"something had to be redesigned. at least the headphones"

Last edited:

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
HA! Beats and quality don't belong in the same sentence.

I find them poorly constructed for how much they cost.
Reread his statement. I first I thought he was talking about Beats audio too, but he's using the word "beats" as in "defeats", not the over-priced earbuds/headphones.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I have real hassle with in ear phones falling out of my ear if the buds are not right, it looks like this is what will happen with these. These look really weird, what is with the bit on the side? I am guessing these are bluetooth?

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Thought these were Cookie Monster eyes at first glance! Anyway, what's with the openings on the side of the earbuds? (You have to watch the video to see this--you can't see them in the picture, only the front opening which I assume is the actual "loudspeaker" part.)

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I have real hassle with in ear phones falling out of my ear if the buds are not right, it looks like this is what will happen with these. These look really weird, what is with the bit on the side? I am guessing these are bluetooth?

They have a jack, so no Bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.