Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
While I'd love to see Apple reveal something completely unlike the leaked parts, I think the leaks demonstrate how laughable Cook's comment was. Perhaps he should have added the qualification, "Except the iPhone."

Last edited by a moderator:

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
Thought these were Cookie Monster eyes at first glance! Anyway, what's with the openings on the side of the earbuds? (You have to watch the video to see this--you can't see them in the picture, only the front opening which I assume is the actual "loudspeaker" part.)

The opening on the sides? You mean this part? That's where the speaker is, I would guess.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
UK
They look odd, and i'd be very interested to hear how they sounded.

But I do think the design is something Apple would make. Seamless plastic mould, the way the slim grey wire enters the casing with a smart grey sleeve etc.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I hate all of these leaks. It really takes the surprise and guessing out of everything. I guess that's what happens when a company becomes insanely popular.

Renzatic

Suspended
Am I the only one here who doesn't like ear buds? I have to use actual oldschool headphones because the buds make my ears hurt.

They hurt when I started using them with my first Gameboy, and still hurt now when I occasionally use them with my iPhone/iPad.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
While I'd love to see Apple reveal something completely unlike the leaked parts, I think the leaks demonstrate how laughable Cook's comment was. Perhaps he should have added the qualification, "Except the iPhone."

It's only laughable if you make an assumption as to what he was referring to. Why would you assume "secrecy" was about parts leaks.

What was the most publicized secrecy issues Apple had the last couple of years? Not parts leaks, the average consumer is clueless to these. The biggest stories were prototypes left in bars. Seen any of those lately? Didn't think so.

In my book, seems like Cook has addressing the biggest issue Apple had the past couple of years.

The only thing he specifically did mention re: secrecy was deals to purchase companies. That's been a bit more hush hush as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I'm pretty sure that if those were made by Apple, they'd use either Myriad Pro or VAG Rounded for the L/R typography.

Why would they use a new font?

I call fake. This must be one of the many Chinese knockoffs available pretty much anywhere.

EDIT: Judge by yourself:

j17i3b.png

The font used looks like Klavika or Deria Sans, fonts which Apple has never used anywhere.

EDIT 2: Just looked up current Apple earbuds. They don't use one of the usual apple fonts for the R/L signs either. It seems to be the same font as the one in this leak. You can ignore all this. Those may be real, sadly.

2j64ope.png

Last edited:

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
We've had iPhone 3...iPhone 4...hmmm wonder what the next one will be called?????????? 3, 4...oh I know 5!

:rolleyes:

We never had an iPhone 3, we had an iPhone 3g. The iPhone 4 is the iPhone 4 because it is the fourth iPhone, the iPad 2 is the iPad 2 because it is the second iPad, now, what would a sixth iPhone be called? iPhone 6.

baslotto

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2007
Apple earphones are awful sound wise and feel & in this case looks

I agree on the lack of comfort but the sound of the latest Apple earbuds is really good IMO. These look cool to me, hopefully they sound good too.

sid4life

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
They'll be promptly thrown in the trash just like every other in ear pair I've received. Over the ear FTW. On ear pulls up in second place. In ear doesn't even finish the race.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
We never had an iPhone 3, we had an iPhone 3g. The iPhone 4 is the iPhone 4 because it is the fourth iPhone, the iPad 2 is the iPad 2 because it is the second iPad, now, what would a sixth iPhone be called? iPhone 6.

Calling the 6th iPhone the iPhone 5 is as wrong as calling the 5th iPhone the iPhone 4S.... Which is to say not wrong at all.

The next iPhone will almost certainly be called "iPhone" but it's easier for people to understand iPhone 5 so that's why we call it that from time to time.

arn

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011

Just stop.

You're going to be sorely disappointed but it will be nice later next month when iPhone 6 trolls all have to slink back into their caves.

FrozenShivers

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
There is no doubt in my mind at least, that these will be near enough equal in quality to the current headphones, as far as sound quality and comfort goes, which makes them absolutely terrible by default.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Am I the only one here who doesn't like ear buds? I have to use actual oldschool headphones because the buds make my ears hurt.

They hurt when I started using them with my first Gameboy, and still hurt now when I occasionally use them with my iPhone/iPad.

I don't like buds either. I love my in-ear headphones by Ultimate Ears and using comply foam tips with them. Excellent sound while also comfortable.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Nope, illogical. Can't just skip 5. Most users are clueless to the number of models in existence, but they expect 5 to come after 4....not 6.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
There is no doubt in my mind at least, that these will be near enough equal in quality to the current headphones, as far as sound quality and comfort goes, which makes them absolutely terrible by default.

Lol, they MUST be better. Improvement would not be difficult.

Oberhorst

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2010
Stockholm
We've had iPhone 3...iPhone 4...hmmm wonder what the next one will be called?????????? 3, 4...oh I know 5!
There was never an iPhone called iPhone 3. Neither was there an iPhone 2. Let me put it down for you:

iPhone 1 - "iPhone"
iPhone 2 - "iPhone 3G"
iPhone 3 - "iPhone 3GS"
iPhone 4 - "iPhone 4"
iPhone 5 - "iPhone 4S"
iPhone 6 - ?? (Probably just gonna be called "the new iPhone")

But I agree to the fact that "iPhone 5" has gained a certain recognition value by now and for all I care, let's call it iPhone 5 until it comes out. The actual name won't be iPhone 5, I'm sure about that.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
I'm pretty sure that if those were made by Apple, they'd use either Myriad Pro or VAG Rounded for the L/R typography.

Why would they use a new font?

I call fake.

EDIT: Judge by yourself:

Interesting catch. I see them as Avenir. I did read some where that they were changing up the font to this. Would make sense. Wish he put them in his ear. They look uncomfortable, no? There was a photo on 9to5 mac of the writing on the cord. It said designed in California made in Vietnam. What company in Vietnam would they use for manufacturing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.